PDA

View Full Version : End of the "Sunday lineups" ?

delben91
04-12-2004, 11:35 AM
There was a little blub in the notes section (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/122sd4.htm) of today's Southtown that said:

Guillen said Friday he was leaning toward starting reserve infielder/outfielder Ross Gload at first base in Sunday's series finale against New York, but Guillen stayed with Paul Konerko at first in hopes of taking three out of four games in the series. Gload pinch hit for Miguel Olivo in the ninth and singled.

Ozzie left the starters in because he wanted to take 3 of 4 . I like it, none of this "Paul needed a rest a week into the season" stuff we're used to from Manuel.

kittle42
04-12-2004, 11:41 AM
But we need to keep everybody fresh!

MisterB
04-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by delben91
Ozzie left the starters in because he wanted to take 3 of 4 . I like it, none of this "Paul needed a rest a week into the season" stuff we're used to from Manuel.

Or the 'We won the first two, so we start the rookie against the Yankees during a pennant drive" stuff....

CubKilla
04-12-2004, 12:12 PM
What seemed to be a hallmark of the Jerry Manuel Error, it always seemed that if a player had a spectacular day on Saturday, he sat on Sunday. Consequently, if a player had a dreadful day on Saturday, he played on Sunday so as to redeem himself.

Glad to see Ozzie felt it necessary to start our starters after winning 2 of 3 from the Yankees.

TornLabrum
04-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Rooney and Farmer talked about this yesterday. They talked about the times players would be rested on Sunday and have a day off on Monday.

Farmer: "In Major League Baseball, your days off are the days off." In other words if you're a regular, you take days off when there are breaks in the schedule. He continued, "When you're not playing, you're unhappy, and when you're playing you're happy...unless you're winning, then everybody's happy."

I think there was something profound in there, but when Ed says it, you kind of have to search for it.

bobj4400
04-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately with Willie Harris leading off every game, it feels like we have a Sunday lineup everyday...

34 Inch Stick
04-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
Or the 'We won the first two, so we start the rookie against the Yankees during a pennant drive" stuff....

This is the more important point to take from the weekend rather than the Sunday lineup phenomenon. Jerry always seemed to reach satisfaction very easily. I want a manager who is greedy. Every game should be challenged because that game could be unbelievably important in late September.

Brian26
04-12-2004, 01:39 PM
There are two lines of thought here. Do you sit a Konerko on Sunday to give him a rest, or do you sit a Konerko on Sunday to give Ross Gload some at-bats? I say you let Konerko play on Sunday because he's the guy you're going to win the division with - let him rest on Monday's day off.

kittle42
04-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
There are two lines of thought here. Do you sit a Konerko on Sunday to give him a rest, or do you sit a Konerko on Sunday to give Ross Gload some at-bats? I say you let Konerko play on Sunday because he's the guy you're going to win the division with - let him rest on Monday's day off.

Speaking of Sunday lineups and Ross Gload, the Red Sox sent Brian Daubach to Pawtucket.

Lip Man 1
04-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Having seen all the first week's games on Dish Network because of the free preview, I through it was funny when DJ was commenting about how Saturday was Mark Buehrle's first ever start in Yankee stadium and Hawk answered. "Don't even go there..."

Lip

Brian26
04-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Speaking of Sunday lineups and Ross Gload, the Red Sox sent Brian Daubach to Pawtucket.

Guys like Daubach and Gload really miss out. Leifer was in the same boat, to some extent. It's arguable (although Leifer proved this wrong after Memorial Day last year with the Expos) that these guys could put up decent numbers if they played everyday.

RedPinStripes
04-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Having seen all the first week's games on Dish Network because of the free preview, I through it was funny when DJ was commenting about how Saturday was Mark Buehrle's first ever start in Yankee stadium and Hawk answered. "Don't even go there..."

Lip

LOL!