PDA

View Full Version : Grilli with a great outing!

A. Cavatica
04-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Charlotte beat Toledo, 7-1, behind Jason Grilli. His line:

J Grilli (W,1-0) 6 3 1 1 1 8

Enemencio Pacheco followed with 1 1/3 perfect innings of relief, striking out three. Jeremy Reed was 2-for-4 (1 HBP, 2 R) in center field, and Joe Borchard was 2-for-5 (1 2B, 3 RBI, 2 SO, 1 CS) in right.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores104/104102/20040411INTL-TOLEDO----0.htm

Charlotte has now gotten solid starts from Rauch, Diaz, and Grilli. I think all these guys will see some time with the Sox this year -- and probably before September.

SoxxoS
04-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Reed is coming around, and will make this lineup look completely different if he can play like we know he can in the majors.

A #2 hitter that can take pitches, walks, and hits for average will do wonders for this team.

mike squires
04-11-2004, 10:35 PM
As we all know we have a young up and coming outfield...Reed/Sweeny/the other young guy and Borchard if he comes around. If Borchard does in fact come around who will the Sox eventually trade? I think teams will be leary of Borchard for his health and slow to produce. If in fact the Sox sign Maggs to a long term deal what does the future look for our outfield? I imagine they would trade Lee considering they won't be able to afford him and Maggllio. Sweeny, Reed and Magglio in 2006?

mike squires
04-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Sorry, this has happened twice to me in the same week! I meant for this to be a new thread. Any chance a moderator could move the outfield to a new thread?

A. Cavatica
04-11-2004, 11:16 PM
The first rule of projecting these guys is NOT ALL OF THEM ARE GOING TO MAKE IT. We'll be very lucky if this crop produces three regulars.

The second rule is THEY HAVE TO BEAT SOMEONE ELSE OUT to get a spot. The Sox will probably trade Ordonez or Lee because of money, but nobody's going to outplay those guys this year. The CF spot could be had. The 1B spot could be had. An injury could also open a spot.

At Charlotte, Borchard & Reed are just about ready. Both can play all three outfield positions without hurting the team, but neither one is a true centerfielder. Reed can also play first.

There's nobody worth considering at Birmingham. At Winston-Salem, which probably means 2+ years away, we have Anderson, Sweeney, and Nanita. Anderson is a true CF, Sweeney is a corner outfielder/1B, and Nanita can play CF but will probably end up as a reserve.

I think Reed will get the call first because he gets on base more, and the Sox are desperate for #1 and #2 hitters. He'll be promoted when the first vacancy opens: OF, 1B, or DH. Borchard will get a call if a second spot opens up, possibly with Reed changing positions. And unless one of them is traded, Reed and Borchard will probably be Sox regulars in 2005.

Then in 2006 we might have to find room for Sweeney, Anderson, and/or Nanita. It would be a nice problem to have. I imagine Sweeney at first, Reed in left, Anderson in center, and Borchard in right, but I also imagined Jason Stumm in our rotation by now.

MRKARNO
04-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Rowand looks totally lost up there now. Timo is not an acceptable option in center. Once Reed finally gets it going this year, it may be his time in center.