PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Have Already Thrown In The Towel...

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Man alive...

I don't know about y'all, but the pessimism is getting to me. Maybe I'm thin skinned, but when i see people on this site writing off the team for good after six games, it just throws me.

How do you write off an entire season after six games? Six games which were all played somewhere between not too bad and freakin' amazing?

I mean, were you honestly not having a blast listening to/watching that 9-3 win over the Yanks on Friday?

Maybe we should keep track of who gives up on the 2004 Sox and when. SSN721 threw in the towel on the game thread this afternoon. I'm not sure when HomeFish did, but it seems pretty obvious that it happened (and if I'm wrong about this HomeFish, please correct me and I'll apologize).

Who else? Who else is ready to give up? I'm sure as hell not quitting until the last out of the last game...and then I'll start planning for '05.

I'm not ready to throw Danny Wright to the wolves for one shaky start, and I'm not looking to dump Jose because his fielding's been crap. These things happen and it's a young season. If it keeps happening, I'll call for their heads too. But until it gets out of hand I'm going to relax and keep the faith.

I believe in this team. I like the players, I like the manager, and I like the style that they're bringing to the games so far this year.

So let us know if you've thrown in the towel. We'll be sure to remind you of this when the bandwagon gets rolling.

Let's go Sox. Home opener Tuesday. The Royals are going down.

2004 White Sox: Everything is going according to plan.

South Side
04-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Amen.

SEALgep
04-11-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm certainly not giving up. In fact, I don't we look bad at all. We are going to win this division.

soxwon
04-11-2004, 06:11 PM
my thoughts are it WAS A VERY SUCCESFULL TRIP- we should be 5-1, were in every game, 3-3 is great.
yes VERY SUCCESFULL.
we come home i predict 4-2 this week, here and in tampa.
then the LONGEST HOME stand of the season.
we are a hell of a team.
keep the faith, we are the best.
Love this team- much better than the cubs.

CyYoung5621
04-11-2004, 06:17 PM
I for one cant wait to see what happens this year. Its going to be exciting.

OurBitchinMinny
04-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Im satisfied with 3-3. They could have easily been 4-2 or 5-1. The only game they didnt really have a chance was the yankee opener and they only lost that by two.

Bisco Stu
04-11-2004, 06:51 PM
We're the most talented team in the division with 156 to go. Though it's apparent this year we can't play poorly against the Tiggers. I'll take a split in the Bronx, the key will be our record in the division.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by The_Floridian
Man alive...

I don't know about y'all, but the pessimism is getting to me. Maybe I'm thin skinned, but when i see people on this site writing off the team for good after six games, it just throws me....

We're anointing the sick later tonight. Anybody wish to sign up a sick and dying loved one?

:smile:

Hangar18
04-11-2004, 07:11 PM
its going to be like this all season..........with the SOX being alternately Good, then bad for stretches. We should still be able to win this division.........If we end up picking up a Leadoff Hitter

pudge
04-11-2004, 07:32 PM
I don't think anyone's throwing in the towel, just noticing that some glaring flaws remain that will hopefully be addressed. The 3-3 trip is very satisfying in my mind, because it could have been a lot worse. But it also could have been better. We were the better team on Opening Day, and today. The bullpen woes are a concern, but more importantly in my mind, Dan Wright and his control.

soltrain21
04-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I don't think anyone's throwing in the towel, just noticing that some glaring flaws remain that will hopefully be addressed. The 3-3 trip is very satisfying in my mind, because it could have been a lot worse. But it also could have been better. We were the better team on Opening Day, and today. The bullpen woes are a concern, but more importantly in my mind, Dan Wright and his control.

Outside of the first day, I really do not see any bullpen woes. Honestly, the only thing I could see being a concern is Danny Wright, and we should let him get a few more starts before we jump all over him.

batmanZoSo
04-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Man alive...

I don't know about y'all, but the pessimism is getting to me. Maybe I'm thin skinned, but when i see people on this site writing off the team for good after six games, it just throws me.

How do you write off an entire season after six games? Six games which were all played somewhere between not too bad and freakin' amazing?

I mean, were you honestly not having a blast listening to/watching that 9-3 win over the Yanks on Friday?

Maybe we should keep track of who gives up on the 2004 Sox and when. SSN721 threw in the towel on the game thread this afternoon. I'm not sure when HomeFish did, but it seems pretty obvious that it happened (and if I'm wrong about this HomeFish, please correct me and I'll apologize).

Who else? Who else is ready to give up? I'm sure as hell not quitting until the last out of the last game...and then I'll start planning for '05.

I'm not ready to throw Danny Wright to the wolves for one shaky start, and I'm not looking to dump Jose because his fielding's been crap. These things happen and it's a young season. If it keeps happening, I'll call for their heads too. But until it gets out of hand I'm going to relax and keep the faith.

I believe in this team. I like the players, I like the manager, and I like the style that they're bringing to the games so far this year.

So let us know if you've thrown in the towel. We'll be sure to remind you of this when the bandwagon gets rolling.

The reason we missed the playoffs last year -- 10 under .500 on the road. I'll take 3-3.

delben91
04-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Man alive...

Seriously, I'm with you. The opening road trip could've gone better, but it didn't go "badly" in my opinion. I'm going to wait and see how the Sox do this week before I even think about them playing "below expectations."

GO SOX!!

SoxxoS
04-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Don't forget. For the 4 run lead we gave up, there is going to be a game where that happens (to an extent) to the team WE play.

It will definitely happen, too, as the Tribe, Twinkies, Royals and Tigers bullpens are ABSOLUTELY horrible.

samram
04-11-2004, 08:42 PM
I like how things have gone so far. Looking at the rest of the division, Minnesota is already having injury problems, and who knows how much that will affect Mauer being a catcher with bad knees; KC has awful starting pitching and a suspect bullpen- hardly a recipe for success; Detroit is one of those teams that plays well for two weeks and then will go away (hopefully); and Cleveland is probably a year away. Definitely no reason to give up on this season.

HomeFish
04-11-2004, 08:56 PM
I had thrown in the towel before spring training, but the changes in gameplay tricked me into thinking this team had a chance. The injury to Prior also helped; it reminded me that sometimes good luck is not an impossibility.

However, I'm ready to throw in the towel after today. I know it's premature, but, more likely than not, it's a bow to reality we'll have to make sooner or later. Last year I threw in the towel after opening day and, ultimately, I was correct.

soltrain21
04-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
I had thrown in the towel before spring training, but the changes in gameplay tricked me into thinking this team had a chance. The injury to Prior also helped; it reminded me that sometimes good luck is not an impossibility.

However, I'm ready to throw in the towel after today. I know it's premature, but, more likely than not, it's a bow to reality we'll have to make sooner or later. Last year I threw in the towel after opening day and, ultimately, I was correct.

That is pretty dumb on so many different levels...but whatever floats your boat. I don't expect you to be around if we win the division or are playing well.

pudge
04-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
That is pretty dumb on so many different levels...but whatever floats your boat. I don't expect you to be around if we win the division or are playing well.

Yeah that's way too extreme. I could understand after last season's sweep in KC having huge doubts, which i certainly did, but this road trip was not that bad. Let's clobber KC next week at home!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-11-2004, 09:09 PM

Are you ready to give your last will and testament?

CWSGuy406
04-11-2004, 09:12 PM

Why? Because our fifth starter lost to their first starter? Because Jose made a couple of errors this weekend? Or maybe it's because we only took two from those sucky, bad, terrible Yankees.

You're so pesimistic. And that site sucks too, it can't even spell "coming" right...

minastirith67
04-11-2004, 09:41 PM

Pardon me for being blunt but you are a retard.

Railsplitter
04-11-2004, 10:21 PM
1982, the Sox start 8-0 and finish third. 1983, Sox start 0-3 and win the division. 3-3 after six games does not mean you out of the running. You can post that after six games in the NFL and still win your division.

Writing off the season right now is just as ludicrous as claiming that the Sox win set a club record for wins and winning percentage, then sweep all post season series for no reason other than the fact the have not lost two games in a row so far this year.

SSN721
04-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Boy I forget to make a comment in teal once and I have to explain it and apologize in two threads. I am not thrwoing in the towel this year. I am very pleased with this road trip, yesterday really knawed at me because I fetl it was another game liek the first game. It was winnable and we should have won it. Lots of opportunities and the team didnt execute. I apologize for not writing in teal but some of you have to lighten up too, I mean do you not get upset at losses? I am not gonna apologize for getting emotional over a loss, a loss should never be completely accepted and written off, especially ones like yesterday and last monday. I will just have to remember that some of you dont have a sense of humor. I thought that through my prior posts it was pretty obvious that I think this team will do weel and still think they have enough to win the division, and I also said in another thread I would be just fine with a 3-3 record after this roadtrip. Just the way the game was yesterday it would have been nice to pull a win out of there and win the series instead of splitting, thats all.

The_Floridian
04-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
Boy I forget to make a comment in teal once and I have to explain it and apologize in two threads. I am not thrwoing in the towel this year. I am very pleased with this road trip, yesterday really knawed at me because I fetl it was another game liek the first game. It was winnable and we should have won it. Lots of opportunities and the team didnt execute. I apologize for not writing in teal but some of you have to lighten up too, I mean do you not get upset at losses? I am not gonna apologize for getting emotional over a loss, a loss should never be completely accepted and written off, especially ones like yesterday and last monday. I will just have to remember that some of you dont have a sense of humor. I thought that through my prior posts it was pretty obvious that I think this team will do weel and still think they have enough to win the division, and I also said in another thread I would be just fine with a 3-3 record after this roadtrip. Just the way the game was yesterday it would have been nice to pull a win out of there and win the series instead of splitting, thats all.

My mistake. I hadn't seen any of your previous posts, so I didn't know you were just joshin'.

Sorry if I came off heavy handed, but there was a lot of negative energy on the game thread yesterday and, having not seen any of your previous posts, I assumed you were writing off the season much like a previous poster to this thread actually has.

Thanks for explaining...and you're right...you shouldn't apologize for getting emotional after a loss. Opening Day killed me too, and yesterday was pretty bitter as well.

So yeah, I'm not a humorless punk...just a misinterpretation on my part, and I'm sorry about that.

This is good news. To my knowledge, that means only one person on this site has written off the whole season.

And the rest of us will be at the victory party in October.

soxwon
04-12-2004, 07:49 PM
ok enough im gonna make a huge prediction.
we will have the 3rd best record in the american league, at seasons end.
I FEEL A SENSATIONAL SEASON AHEAD,
garland will become our ace by seasons end
adkins is going to be a monster in relief.
go ahead and laugh now, but when the seasons over youll remember this post
WE ARE GOING TO BE AWESOME.
da reverand
keep da faith all the way through the series
amen

jabrch
04-13-2004, 12:20 PM
I haven't seen many throw in the towel. We bitched on opening day, but we had the right to. That was gross. But .500 after 4 @ NYY and 2 @ KC is fine. If we play as well as we did in those two serieses on the road this season, we will end up well over .500 on the road and will win this division hands-down. Remember, that was against the super-yankees and KC. We have road games against some less-good teams coming up that we should win.

SSN721
04-14-2004, 10:48 AM
My mistake. I hadn't seen any of your previous posts, so I didn't know you were just joshin'.

Sorry if I came off heavy handed, but there was a lot of negative energy on the game thread yesterday and, having not seen any of your previous posts, I assumed you were writing off the season much like a previous poster to this thread actually has.

Thanks for explaining...and you're right...you shouldn't apologize for getting emotional after a loss. Opening Day killed me too, and yesterday was pretty bitter as well.

So yeah, I'm not a humorless punk...just a misinterpretation on my part, and I'm sorry about that.

This is good news. To my knowledge, that means only one person on this site has written off the whole season.

And the rest of us will be at the victory party in October.

Yeah, I am sorry if I sounded too vindictive in my post explaining my position. I just get way too emotional over this stuff. I am suprised I havent had to replace my TV at home with the amount of times over the past few years I have whipped my cap at in disgust over a bad play or bad loss. :D: And I hope to be joining all at the victory party in October, hopefully another in very early November as well. :)