PDA

View Full Version : Not Overreacting here....

MaggPipes
04-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Wright needs to be banished to the pen. He has only shown slight glimpses of solidness, and Cotts looks a lot more comfortable and has a lot better command than he showed last year, plus Wright's fastball would be better out of the pen, he could air it out more. This needs to happen ASAP......

nitetrain8601
04-11-2004, 03:11 PM
I agree strongly. I wanted Cotts to get the 4th or 5th starting spot and Wright to go to the bullpen.

pudge
04-11-2004, 03:21 PM
No joke, this game today was painful - base on balls, hit batters... a very winnable game and we're likley going to lose... The problem is, they made the choice on Wright, so they have to give him a chance. We'll see...

voodoochile
04-11-2004, 03:24 PM
You almost have to give him one more start before you pull the plug if you ever want him to have any chance of being effective as a starter.

Not fair to judge a guy on one start in NY, IMO.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You almost have to give him one more start before you pull the plug if you ever want him to have any chance of being effective as a starter.

Agreed. The Yankees have one of the best offensive teams in baseball. I don't think Wright's performance is entirely due to bad pitching. Now, if he repeats this performance against a team like Cleveland, then a change should be made.

A.T. Money
04-11-2004, 03:55 PM
It doesn't matter who the opponent is. If you don't throw strikes, the other team won't swing. It's that simple.

Get someone in there who can throw strikes.

MRKARNO
04-11-2004, 03:58 PM
While it is painful to watch Wright pitch, I agree he deserves a second chance in a less stressful situation. If he continues to falter, then Cotts looks good and should be given the chance to start in his place.

mdep524
04-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by MaggPipes
Wright needs to be banished to the pen. He has only shown slight glimpses of solidness, and Cotts looks a lot more comfortable and has a lot better command than he showed last year, plus Wright's fastball would be better out of the pen, he could air it out more. This needs to happen ASAP......

I agree 100%. No question about it, he's better out of the pen. I felt this way even during spring training when he was pitching well. Cotts (or maybe Rauch or Grilli) should be in the rotation, and Wright in the pen. The guy can NEVER go more than 5 or 6 innings, ever. He's just better suited for the pen.

harwar
04-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Wright looks the same as usual and i believe that he will never be a starter.However;Iwouldn't want to rush Neal Cotts.That guy has the makings of something special.

jabrch
04-11-2004, 05:02 PM
We gotta let Wright have a few more shots, including a home start or two. Cotts might be something eventually, but I don't know if he is ready to be a starter yet either.

crector
04-11-2004, 05:02 PM
What the Sox need to do is put Wright back in the bullpen in the long relief role that he was born to play and put either Adkins or Cotts in the 5th starter position.

Or to put it another way, if Wright kept to being a long relief pitcher, he could become a perennial All-Star, but as a starter, he's nothing but a DS: Designated Scapegoat.

SoxxoS
04-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by crector
What the Sox need to do is put Wright back in the bullpen in the long relief role that he was born to play and put either Adkins or Cotts in the 5th starter position.

Or to put it another way, if Wright kept to being a long relief pitcher, he could become a perennial All-Star, but as a starter, he's nothing but a DS: Designated Scapegoat.

The only way Wright will be anything close to an "all star" is when pitchers are allowed to throw 10 balls a batter.

crector
04-11-2004, 05:20 PM

I made this post as the start of a thread entitled, "What the Sox Need to do is....." but someone put it into this thread instead. Why was that done?

voodoochile
04-11-2004, 05:35 PM
I made this post as the start of a thread entitled, "What the Sox Need to do is....." but someone put it into this thread instead. Why was that done?

Because the topic is the same. This way, there is less redundancy of posts and people can actually see all the posts regarding Wright in the pen at once.

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Maybe this oughta be a poll.

I'm in the "Give him another shot" corner on this one. Wright looked good in the spring. He earned the spot. Let him have a fair go of it before you yank him. I'm not convinced that one start is a fair go.

SEALgep
04-11-2004, 05:47 PM
I honestly could see Wright being a closer someday. Maybe even next year. He has good stuff, and if he could focus into that role, I think he would do real well. That's not to say I think he won't be a good fifth starter, but I doubt he can develop into a number three. Gagne was a failed starter, converted closer. I think he has the same make up. Three good pitches, but it's hard for him to stay consistent deep into games. I still think he's going to have a good season, but I can see him there in the future.

SoxxoS
04-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I honestly could see Wright being a closer someday. Maybe even next year. He has good stuff, and if he could focus into that role, I think he would do real well. That's not to say I think he won't be a good fifth starter, but I doubt he can develop into a number three. Gagne was a failed starter, converted closer. I think he has the same make up. Three good pitches, but it's hard for him to stay consistent deep into games. I still think he's going to have a good season, but I can see him there in the future.

I don't think he has the control to be a closer...

It's fine for some closers b/c they have the "strikeout stuff" but Danny let's too many balls in play. He is best suited for a middle relief role where he can give you 3 innings if the starting pitcher is pulled early. Nothing more IMO.

SEALgep
04-11-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I don't think he has the control to be a closer...

It's fine for some closers b/c they have the "strikeout stuff" but Danny let's too many balls in play. He is best suited for a middle relief role where he can give you 3 innings if the starting pitcher is pulled early. Nothing more IMO. His control starts to lack as he goes. If he were to focus all his energy on one inning, I think he would be more effective. His velocity would increase, and he could pay more attention to his control for a limited amount of time. Maybe not, but that's how I see it.

batmanZoSo
04-11-2004, 08:01 PM
It's too early to call Neal Cotts god and Wright a bum. Give him two more starts, then flip their roles.

But Cotts did look real sharp today. He throws about 90 but it looks like 95...and from the looks of it the hitters would probably agree with me.

beckett21
04-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I agree. The adrenaline was flowing, first start of they year, Yankee Stadium. He made a mistake to Sheff and a big mistake to Crosby and those killed him. Let him learn from it and let's see what he does the next time out. Cotts did look great, and if need be he should be a fine #5.

Admittedly I have never been in Wright's corner; but I have his back on this one. Ask me in two weeks and I may have a different answer, but one bad start should not lead to immediate demotion. That would send the absolute WRONG message to the rest of the guys as well: one bad start and he gets yanked from the rotation? Ouch! It would be the antithesis of what Ozzie has been preaching all spring. Can't do it yet; wouldn't be fair and sends a bad message.

Lip Man 1
04-11-2004, 11:46 PM
Wright, Cotts, Adkins it doesn't matter.

None of them are any good. You have to go back to 1994 the last time the Sox had five solid starting pitchers for a season.

This will be another case of 1996, 2001 and 2003 all over again. years in which if the Sox had a 5th starter worth a damn, they could have won the division. The Sox refuse to spend money on pitching, always trying to 'cut corners' and it always bites them on the ass.

They never learn do they?

Lip

beckett21
04-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Wright, Cotts, Adkins it doesn't matter.

None of them are any good. You have to go back to 1994 the last time the Sox had five solid starting pitchers for a season.

This will be another case of 1996, 2001 and 2003 all over again. years in which if the Sox had a 5th starter worth a damn, they could have won the division. The Sox refuse to spend money on pitching, always trying to 'cut corners' and it always bites them on the ass.

They never learn do they?

Lip

As much as my instinct and better judgment are telling me to agree with you, Lip, at this point I cannot.

Maybe it is the scent of spring in the air that has clouded my judgment. I have been vocal in my dismay at the loss of Bartolo Colon, but that is now water under the bridge.

Wright deserves this chance. Agreed that it should be his last one, but he has had flashes of ability. I don't know that it is fair to throw him under the bus after one bad start. If there were really that many *good* 5th starters out there, they would not be 5th starters--catch my drift? What we need are FOUR solid starters that we can rely on week in and week out. The 5th man needs to be competent enough to keep us in ballgames. Wright can do that I think. He is probably better suited to be a long reliever, but I am willing to give him just enough rope to hang himself. Give him a couple more starts, and if Cotts is still looking strong then reverse the roles. But at some point, we have to fish or cut bait with some of these guys, namely Wright.

My bigger concern is still Schoeneweis, because he will be counted on for a regular turn. We can get by with Wright or Cotts as a number 5, IMO; the bigger question to me is our #4.

I may have inadvertently strengthened your argument, but nonetheless one week is not enough to judge these guys on. And I also disagree with you on Cotts, I think he will be a fine starter, though I will admit maybe not yet. But he has talent. And there is only one way to gain experience, and that is to pitch at the major league level. I'd rather have these guys cutting their teeth than watching a John Burkett or a Darren Oliver getting peppered all over USCF. At least Cotts and Wright might have a future.

CubKilla
04-12-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
It's too early to call Neal Cotts god and Wright a bum. Give him two more starts, then flip their roles.

I agree on giving Wrong a start or two more to see if he can work out the kinks. But the Danny Wrong of today is the same Danny Wrong Sox fans have seen for the past 3 seasons now. Same crap. Trying to nibble on the corners, lots of walks, and a big inning. Wrong better be on a short leash with Ozzie.

I also don't think it's too early to call Wrong a bum. He's had ample time to prove he can get it done and, for the most part, he can't.

batmanZoSo
04-12-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I agree on giving Wrong a start or two more to see if he can work out the kinks. But the Danny Wrong of today is the same Danny Wrong Sox fans have seen for the past 3 seasons now. Same crap. Trying to nibble on the corners, lots of walks, and a big inning. Wrong better be on a short leash with Ozzie.

I also don't think it's too early to call Wrong a bum. He's had ample time to prove he can get it done and, for the most part, he can't. \

You have a right to your opinion. I'm giving Wright slack because last year was tough for him with the injury. I say give him two more starts and if he doesn't win at least one of them give Cotts his job. Or if Wright gets pummelled next time out then go ahead and make the switch.

That would be sweet if Cotts came into his own. And I'm confident DW can be a good reliever right now. I see him as a setup man in the future.

doublem23
04-12-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
It doesn't matter who the opponent is. If you don't throw strikes, the other team won't swing. It's that simple.

Get someone in there who can throw strikes.

Agreed, but is Neal Cotts that guy?

SEALgep
04-12-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla

I also don't think it's too early to call Wrong a bum. He's had ample time to prove he can get it done and, for the most part, he can't. 2 years ago winning 14 games as a 5th starter isn't crap, nor does it constitute being called a bum. Last year was poor, but he wasn't healthy either. Today's ball game wasn't great either, but I think it's too early to judge his worth based on it.

NonetheLoaiza
04-12-2004, 01:21 AM
As I can recall, I thought Wright was good as a long reliever in the bullpen last year. I would much rather see him in that role (maybe even as a closer) than as a starter. However, right now the White Sox have no one who would be ready for that 5th spot. Cotts needs some more innings before we can throw him out for a start.

How different this situation would be if we still had Kip and Josh Fogg. Thank you Kenny.