PDA

View Full Version : *Official*Gameday thread 4/11 Vs. Yankees


voodoochile
04-11-2004, 12:25 PM
If you absolutely refuse to go to the chat room (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?setwidth=955&setheight=450), you are allowed to post game time comments here, but it would be preferable if you simply :takeittochat

If you absolutely refuse to chat, remember you can get free computer based game updates at any of the following locations - Yahoo sports, ESPN, MLB.com, CBS Sportsline, etc.

Looks like rain anyway. Don't know if they are going to get it in...

jabrch
04-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Someone said yesterday we were getting a "Sunday Lineup"

Doesn't look it to me.

Harris
Valentin
Ordonez
Thomas
Lee
Konerko
Crede
Rowand
Olivo

Looks like Ozzie wants to make a statement. I like it. Manuel would have had Gload, Timo and Uribe all in the lineup for Mags, Lee and Manos.

DonkeyKongerko
04-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Interesting, I read somewhere (I think on Whitesox.com) that Gload was definitely getting a start this weekend.

jabrch
04-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko
Interesting, I read somewhere (I think on Whitesox.com) that Gload was definitely getting a start this weekend.

Unless MLB.COM has the wrong lineup, it isn't gonna be today.

Brian26
04-11-2004, 12:41 PM
That's strange. I could swear I heard Ozzie say Gload was going to get a start today. Personally, I like it. Let's try to win 3 of 4. Would be a HELL of a confidence booster.

CyYoung5621
04-11-2004, 12:48 PM
hmmm Rain is no good. I want to beat dem Yankees!

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Would we just play tomorrow if it gets rained out?

HomeFish
04-11-2004, 12:50 PM
They have at least 5 straight days of rain forcast for NY, although Wednesday is only supposed to be "light rain".

delben91
04-11-2004, 01:06 PM
Is the game happening? Or has the rain come?

jabrch
04-11-2004, 01:07 PM
It is drizzling - but the game is going to start.

delben91
04-11-2004, 01:16 PM
Jose, Maggs and Big Frank with 3 consecutive singles. 1-0 Sox, still top 1, 1 out, men on 1st and 2nd

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 01:16 PM
Good job, Frank! 1-0 Sox.

voodoochile
04-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Someone said yesterday we were getting a "Sunday Lineup"

Doesn't look it to me.

Harris
Valentin
Ordonez
Thomas
Lee
Konerko
Crede
Rowand
Olivo

Looks like Ozzie wants to make a statement. I like it. Manuel would have had Gload, Timo and Uribe all in the lineup for Mags, Lee and Manos.

I can just hear Manuel talking about already getting the split and wanting to get everyone playing time.

Have to admit that Ozzie isn't making many mistakes so far and the ones he is making are ones of an aggressive nature. Nothing wrong with that at all.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 01:18 PM
Carlos! 3-0 Sox.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 01:25 PM
Valentin with another error. Sheesh!

CubKilla
04-11-2004, 01:26 PM
We don't need any more brain farts out of Danny Wright letting the Yanks into this game. That base stolen on Wright. Olivo had no chance.

CubKilla
04-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Good pitch by Wright getting PayRod

Brian26
04-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Just curious, is there any reason why it isn't preferred to post comments in the gameday thread? Does it have anything to do with taking up extra bandwidth on the site? Just curious. When I have time, I always think it's fun to go back and read comments in the thread if I've missed anything crucial parts of the game. Not sure if the chat keeps a log of all comments.

Brian26
04-11-2004, 01:30 PM
This is the Sox sixth game, and they've worn the black jerseys five (5) times so far.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 01:33 PM
3-1 Sox as Sheffield drives in Jeter. Ugh!

delben91
04-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Sheffield singles in Jeter, there's another unearned run. 3-1 Sox, 2 out, men on 1st and 3rd in the bottom of the first. Posada up.

delben91
04-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Matsui lines out to Willie.

After 1

Sox 3
Yanks 1

RedPinStripes
04-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If you absolutely refuse to go to the chat room (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?setwidth=955&setheight=450), you are allowed to post game time comments here, but it would be preferable if you simply :takeittochat

If you absolutely refuse to chat, remember you can get free computer based game updates at any of the following locations - Yahoo sports, ESPN, MLB.com, CBS Sportsline, etc.

Looks like rain anyway. Don't know if they are going to get it in...

So really what all that mean is. "We really cant stand game threads, but we put up with it just to shut people up and some will do it anyway.. I really wish you'd use the ****ing chat room. "

Am i far off? :)

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 01:43 PM
The Sox strand Harris at second in the second. Still 3-1 good guys.

CubKilla
04-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
This is the Sox sixth game, and they've worn the black jerseys five (5) times so far.

Pitchers choice

voodoochile
04-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Just curious, is there any reason why it isn't preferred to post comments in the gameday thread? Does it have anything to do with taking up extra bandwidth on the site? Just curious. When I have time, I always think it's fun to go back and read comments in the thread if I've missed anything crucial parts of the game. Not sure if the chat keeps a log of all comments.

Bandwidth is part of it, disc space is another part of it and the final part is that the game threads are getting ridiculously huge because our member numbers have increased - which in turn causes the threads to constantly be all that shows up in the "most popular thread of the week" feature on the forums home page. That detracts from the real discussion that is going on for a bunch of "single by Lee, Maggs scores, Frank to third" type of comments.

voodoochile
04-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
So really what all that mean is. "We really cant stand game threads, but we put up with it just to shut people up and some will do it anyway.. I really wish you'd use the ****ing chat room. "

Am i far off? :)

yeah, it's pretty much a necessary evil...

Brian26
04-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Bandwidth is part of it, disc space is another part of it and the final part is that the game threads are getting ridiculously huge because our member numbers have increased - which in turn causes the threads to constantly be all that shows up in the "most popular thread of the week" feature on the forums home page. That detracts from the real discussion that is going on for a bunch of "single by Lee, Maggs scores, Frank to third" type of comments.

Hmmm. Well, I totally understand the disk space/bandwidth issue, and I hope we never have to change our message board because it's getting too crowded. Personally, I enjoy the game threads though. I think they're more convenient (especially for day games when I'm at work) than the chat room. You can catch up on things, with commentary, much quicker than you can on any of the gameday logs on the official site or ESPN or CBSsportsline. Is there anyway you could remove the gameday threads from the "most popular" feature on the forums home page?

ode to veeck
04-11-2004, 02:08 PM
I really wish you'd use the ****ing chat room. "

so come join the chat then ... actually i use the game day threads when I'm hooked up at work as it don't work through our firewall, which also happens when i'm working from home on my laptop--right now I swtiched off the work stuff and set up the proxy so am able to use the chat

RedPinStripes
04-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
so come join the chat then ... actually i use the game day threads when I'm hooked up at work as it don't work through our firewall, which also happens when i'm working from home on my laptop--right now I swtiched off the work stuff and set up the proxy so am able to use the chat

I'll be there. I normally dont get in the chat because of my short attention span. :D:

A.T. Money
04-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Crappy bunt attempt by Rowand. Costed the Sox a run.

A.T. Money
04-11-2004, 02:23 PM
How did Dan Wright ever make it as a pitcher? The guy can't throw strikes regularly.

A.T. Money
04-11-2004, 02:25 PM
And when you can't throw em regularly, they will nail it when you finally throw one. LOL

Wright sucks.....

SoxxoS
04-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
How did Dan Wright ever make it as a pitcher? The guy can't throw strikes regularly.

He hasn't had success, really, at any level after high school.

Crosby just hit a 3 run bomb, and all of a sudden it's not a quality start anymore. His ERA is 9.00 right now, after all of that.

CubKilla
04-11-2004, 02:27 PM
I see Danny Wrong hasn't changed a bit :angry:

HomeFish
04-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Add Bubba to the list of Sox killers.

We'll be 3-3 going into the home opener. Hopefully not a sign of things to come.

A.T. Money
04-11-2004, 02:28 PM
When will the Danny Wrong experiment finally end?

0-2 to Jeter and I bet he walks him.

A.T. Money
04-11-2004, 02:31 PM
If a pitcher gets rocked, he gets rocked.

But when you walk people consistently, you're gonna get killed, especially against a lineup like the Yankees. You can't feel bad for a pitcher who can't throw a strike.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Wright just doesn't seem to be able to avoid the big inning. It may be that he was just nervous about his first start of the season, but he has a history of allowing runs in bunches.

Patrick134
04-11-2004, 02:32 PM
First of all, it's 4-3 in the 5th, the game is far from over. also, to say a 3-3 record on a road trip against 2 of the al's quality teams is a bad sign of things to come is very wrong,

A.T. Money
04-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Hose getting HOT!!! I like it.

CubKilla
04-11-2004, 02:33 PM
4-4..... YES!

Way to go Jose

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Jose! Jose! Jose! Jose!

Tie game!

CubKilla
04-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Wright just doesn't seem to be able to avoid the big inning. It may be that he was just nervous about his first start of the season, but he has a history of allowing runs in bunches.

So true. This is the same Danny Wrong Sox fans have become accustomed to.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Looks like Frank juuust missed one.

CubKilla
04-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Looks like Frank juuust missed one.

That's 3 now he's juuusst missed. Wait'll he gets his timing right.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
That's 3 now he's juuusst missed. Wait'll he gets his timing right.

I know. He seems to be hitting the ball hard, even though the hits aren't coming quite yet. He'll be fine once they get back home.

HomeFish
04-11-2004, 02:39 PM
The Braves are useless yet again. Down 3-0 today.

The situation becomes more desperate; this is a must-win.

CubKilla
04-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
The Braves are useless yet again. Down 3-0 today.

The situation becomes more desperate; this is a must-win.

The Braves..... for whatever reason..... just cannot hit sCrUBS pitching.

HomeFish
04-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Throwing Wright in against this lineup is just sick. I don't know how we've allowed just 4 runs so far.

So far being the key word. A-Rod vs Wright with a HBP on first base. Why do I feel queasy?

A.T. Money
04-11-2004, 02:45 PM
STOP GIVING AWAY RUNS DANNY WRONG!!!

HomeFish
04-11-2004, 02:46 PM
The Yankees are going to have at least five more runs than they have hits if this continues.

We're just a .500 team with this guy on the staff.

johnny_mostil
04-11-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
He hasn't had success, really, at any level after high school.

Crosby just hit a 3 run bomb, and all of a sudden it's not a quality start anymore. His ERA is 9.00 right now, after all of that.

Be fair. He had Sheffield struck out (one of the "balls" was a clear strike, Danny couldn't throw strike four) and Giambi "walked" in an at bat where he took TWO strikes that were called balls that prolonged the first inning. The umps have given the Yanks, by my count, no less than SIX runs in this series by squeezing Sox pitchers.

Brian26
04-11-2004, 02:54 PM
Konerko is seeing the ball quite well. A rocket.

Let's capitalize on the leadoff runner here.

HomeFish
04-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Crede wastes a chance.

chisoxmike
04-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Sox look like they are tired.

HomeFish
04-11-2004, 03:04 PM
This is the game our season falls apart in. What a damn shame.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
This is the game our season falls apart in. What a damn shame.

Easy. It's not the end of the world.

ode to veeck
04-11-2004, 03:05 PM
This is the game our season falls apart in. What a damn shame

bite your toungue, its only 5-4

season's early here

Kuzman
04-11-2004, 03:06 PM
thats danny wrong for ya, cotts is dealin, and all we'll need is 2 runs to win, i have the confidence in the pen becuase its been rested all week long!

VeeckAsInWreck
04-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
This is the game our season falls apart in. What a damn shame.

Relax my friend, should your post have been written in teal?

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Mussina out; White in.

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Okay...just got home from work.

Manos with a triple. Give the assist to Sheffield.

Runner on third with two out. Come on Maggs.

I believe Flash Gordon is coming in to pitch.

chisoxmike
04-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Fly out to end the inning with tying run on third.

What's changed... nothing.

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Drat...Maggs flies out to deep center.

7th inning stretch time. 5-4 Yanks.

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Yowzah!

Lotta negative energy on the thread today. What's going on here?

Cotts still pitching in the 7th. Marte and either Adkins or Politte in the pen.

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Jeter singles. Williams grounds into a 6-4-3 DP.

Two out. PayRod is up.

ode to veeck
04-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Lotta negative energy on the thread today. What's going on here?

all the hip Sox vibes in the chat today

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 03:26 PM
PayRod doubles. Giambi fliew out.

After 7, 5-4 Yanks.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Thomas fies out. Carlos up.

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Sox down in order. 5-4 Yanks going tot he bottom of the eighth.

Mariano Rivera has looked a little shaky so far this year. Maybe if we don't give up any more runs...

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 03:33 PM
The Sox get nothing in the eighth. Rivera will probably come in to pitch the ninth.

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Damaso Marte in to pitch. Good. Get him some work so he can get his legs back.

Sheffield pops it up to Harris. One out.

HomeFish
04-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Corpseball is back!

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Yankees down in the inning.

After 8, it's still 5-4 Yanks.

Crede, Rowand and Olivo due up.

Gload, Timo, Uribe and Sandy available off the bench.

Rivera pitching.

GO GO SOX!

HomeFish
04-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Ya-hey! Crede got on base!

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Crede hit by pitch. Man on first. Timo Perez int o pinch hit for Rowand.

Uribe pinch running for Crede.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 03:45 PM
I wonder what Ozzie has in mind right here.

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Perez down on strikes.

Ross Gload pinch hitting for Olivo.

HomeFish
04-11-2004, 03:47 PM
NOOO!!!!!! TIMO!!!!

After all the fluff and hype I made about you, how could you!!!

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Damn it! One out.

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Gload singles to right. Runners on first and second with one out.

Willie's up. GO WILLIE!

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 03:49 PM
If the Sox can keep the inning alive long enough to get to Maggs, something good will happen.

HomeFish
04-11-2004, 03:49 PM
Oh for the two consecutive HBP!

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Willie down on strikes.

Manos is up with the game on his shoulders.

HomeFish
04-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Wee Willie strikes out.

Valentin is up. Game over.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Oh, boy...

HomeFish
04-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Sox lose.

Imaginary crosstown division is tied again. We come into the home opener as a .500 team.

chisoxmike
04-11-2004, 03:52 PM
LIFELESS TODAY

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Valentin grounds into a force at second.

Yankees win 5-4.

Crapola.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2004, 03:54 PM
A 3-3 record to start the season isn't a bad thing, considering that the Sox played four of those games against the Yankees. I'm looking forward to having the team back in Chicago. It seems like the team is always more productive at home.

Patrick134
04-11-2004, 03:54 PM
Enough of the gloom and doom. nice series, the sox battled well, and 3-3 out of the box on the road against these 2 teams is good, especially after the nature of the game 1 loss.

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Patrick134
Enough of the gloom and doom. nice series, the sox battled well, and 3-3 out of the box on the road against these 2 teams is good, especially after the nature of the game 1 loss.

Thank you.

And it's not like this team is playing badly either. Marte had a nice comeback today after giving up the two big homers in the opener. And it's not like Wright was horrible.

The Sox won two games in impressive fashion and lost two in which they didn't play bad.

Personally, I like this team. I'm excited about this team.

In my opinion, they're on a mission from Gahd.

samram
04-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Wright was pretty bad, I think, but most fifth starters are. We had our #1 out there yesterday against their number 5 and we handled them pretty easily. Yankees fans would have been really upset if their number 1 starter couldn't beat our number 5. Never fun to blow a 3-0 lead though.

WhiteSox = Life
04-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Well, a disappointing loss, but your team is in good shape when everybody's excited about the possibility of taking 3-4 against the Yankees in the Bronx.

Wright was all over the place, but if it weren't for Crosby, the Sox would've won. Wright is on a short leash for now, let's say.

Valentin's defense once again but suspect, but he made a couple of good plays on hot shots.

Thomas' swing is looking better, but he's still off. Hopefully being home will get him going like he was in Spring Training.

Crede and Rowand are not hitting well, but are playing pretty good defense, especially Joe.

The quality starts streak is broken, but Cotts and Marte both looked really good today, and Cotts held his own against the tough Yankee lineup.

The biggest disappointment in the game was the lack of execution. Crede grounded into two DP's, Rowand failed to get a key bunt down with men on first and second (of which neither scored), and the man on third, less than two outs not scoring sickness struck again.

Overall, the game was a bit of a downer, but for the Sox to go through two quality teams and split the consecutive series is a solid way to start the season. Time for the Sox to head home to some loud, cheering crowds and start winning some series.

One last note in the fact that the overall emotion of this board has changed drastically from Opening Day. That is, there are fewer naysayers making their presence felt.

In summary, go Sox.

chisoxmike
04-11-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm fine with 3-3. When I first looked at the schedule, I predicted a 3-3 record by the home opener.

We need to give them a nice warm, loud ovation when they take the field Tuesday! Hopefully we'll be able to get to May again.

See you guys there... anyone near sec 114?

Paulwny
04-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Hopefully Frank is ready to break out, the last 2 drives to center , although outs, were hit with authority.

SSN721
04-11-2004, 05:03 PM
This season is ****ing over. :angry: :angry: :angry:

voodoochile
04-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by South Side
A lot of people around here have some control issues...

Maybe they just have money issues. You know it isn't cheap to run this site. Cutting back on gameday threads which eat up bandwidth and disc space is one sure way of doing that.

Of course you are free to help cut the costs that we mods/admins incur by putting your money where your mouth is and supporting the site. Until then maybe you should try to be more understanding...

SEALgep
04-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
This season is ****ing over. :angry: :angry: :angry: Giving up already, huh? Bet you are the first to get on the wagon when we lead the division in August.

South Side
04-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Maybe they just have money issues. You know it isn't cheap to run this site. Cutting back on gameday threads which eat up bandwidth and disc space is one sure way of doing that.

Of course you are free to help cut the costs that we mods/admins incur by putting your money where your mouth is and supporting the site. Until then maybe you should try to be more understanding...

I apologize. I wasn't aware you were a moderator. I was under the impression you were some random member who wanted things their way. Sorry about that.

voodoochile
04-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by South Side
I apologize. I wasn't aware you were a moderator. I was under the impression you were some random member who wanted things their way. Sorry about that.

No problem. Yeah, I'm won of the boogeymen at WSI. :D:

I started this thread on purpose today as we are really trying to encourage the chatroom use.

Weekday day games will probably get bigger day game thread turnouts when people are at work, but on weekends and at night, we prefer they use the chat room as much as possible.

FYI, all moderators have those goofy titles under their usernames and are the only ones who do.

The_Floridian
04-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Giving up already, huh? Bet you are the first to get on the wagon when we lead the division in August.

Amen.

Daver
04-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by South Side
I apologize. I wasn't aware you were a moderator. I was under the impression you were some random member who wanted things their way. Sorry about that.


This (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showgroups.php?s=) will show you the moderating team.

Hangar18
04-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Willie Harris last at bat against Rivera Was Brutal.
He should be batting 9th, if your starting him .........enough said.

SoxxoS
04-11-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Willie Harris last at bat against Rivera Was Brutal.
He should be batting 9th, if your starting him .........enough said.

The balls he was swinging at were going pretty straight and down the heart of the plate, as well. "The Pimp" wanted to knock one out of the park with his 170 pound frame.

SSN721
04-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Giving up already, huh? Bet you are the first to get on the wagon when we lead the division in August.

No, I should have put that in teal. I think the majority of my posts have been relatively positive, it just wasnt the best of days yesterday and the loss didnt help when it was a winnable game. I neglected to put the post in teal, was just overreacting because I get overemotional over every loss. They all sting.