PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie takes blame for Opening Day

delben91
04-11-2004, 11:28 AM
This is from today's Tribune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040410soxgamer,1,5382310.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

For those of you not registered, the key line is:

"This kid is a warrior," Guillen said. "Since I've been here, everyone has told me how good he was. He showed me how good he is. I'm happy he won the game. He should have won the first one, but I blew it."

While I'm not so sure it was entirely Ozzie's fault on opening day, it's still nice to see him step up and say, "hey, it was on me." I like this guy more and more every day.

CubKilla
04-11-2004, 12:07 PM
The only thing I can think of is that Ozzie figures he used the wrong guys in the wrong situation. Other than that, Loss 1 is all on the BP.

jabrch
04-11-2004, 12:34 PM
That's what we want from our manager though. Don't point fingers - defend your players, and deflect blame from them. We know Marte/Politte are the ones who deserve the criticisms. But Ozzie did the right thing.

TornLabrum
04-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
That's what we want from our manager though. Don't point fingers - defend your players, and deflect blame from them. We know Marte/Politte are the ones who deserve the criticisms. But Ozzie did the right thing.

Politte does not deserve criticism. He should not have started the 9th inning. Once that error was made, it was compounded by leaving him in after the first walk. Ozzie takes his share of the blame for compounding an already bad decision.

That being said, we've gone 3-2 since then, so everybody should just get the **** over it.