PDA

View Full Version : Ariva and the renovations


irish rover
04-11-2004, 10:35 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x09-ard1.htm

looks like ISFA wants green seats too

"If I have my way," said Dan Polvere, ISFA's director of development and facilities. "These seats are 13 years old. They're starting to rust. The time is coming to change them anyway."

soxnut
04-11-2004, 10:47 AM
I'd love green seats too, but there are a few other things I want as well. I'd like them to get rid of the ramps, move them indside. Make a separate building to: hold the offices, a restaurant, and a new, larger White Sox Hall of Fame and Museum. So I could forgo green seats for a couple of years, considering most of the seats are still good. in order to get the other things done.

MarqSox
04-11-2004, 10:53 AM
I'll never understand people's obsession with the color of the seats. I could see if they were hot pink or yellow or something ... but they're not, they're a perfectly attractive shade of blue. So they're not Old Comiskey green ... so what?

Brian26
04-11-2004, 10:54 AM
The author of that article comes across like one of the uneducated, ill-informed fans at Soxfest who was trying to scold Kenny for not using the money from the naming rights to resign Everett and Alomar. It's been reported several times over that the money was exclusively only supposed to go to ballpark renovations. It's in writing, it's a done deal. It's an agreement. Nobody here is at fault (The Sox or US Cellular or the ISFA)- it's just part of the agreement. They'll use the 14 million wisely on the park, so I have no concerns. It just seems like a topic that's been beaten to death by now, but the author is bringing it up again like it's a new idea.

soxnut
04-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I'll never understand people's obsession with the color of the seats. I could see if they were hot pink or yellow or something ... but they're not, they're a perfectly attractive shade of blue. So they're not Old Comiskey green ... so what?


I don't think it's an attractive shade of blue. If the seats were the same shade as those in Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Kansas City or San Diego, I'd have no problem with them.

But they're not, so if they're going to change, change them to green. And, they don't have to be the same color as Old Comiskey. If they use the color that is being used on the Fan Deck, that would be great. :smile:

CHISOXFAN13
04-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
The author of that article comes across like one of the uneducated, ill-informed fans at Soxfest who was trying to scold Kenny for not using the money from the naming rights to resign Everett and Alomar. It's been reported several times over that the money was exclusively only supposed to go to ballpark renovations. It's in writing, it's a done deal. It's an agreement. Nobody here is at fault (The Sox or US Cellular or the ISFA)- it's just part of the agreement. They'll use the 14 million wisely on the park, so I have no concerns. It just seems like a topic that's been beaten to death by now, but the author is bringing it up again like it's a new idea.

You are reading too much into it. Arvia knows it, and being content with the changes already, wishes they could use the remaining 14 mildo on payroll.

At least that's the way I read it.

Lip Man 1
04-11-2004, 02:04 PM
I contacted Phil and asked if he could supply the info on the individuals that he spoke to in the column from the U.S. Cellular company.

If he does I'll post the names, addresses, phone numbers ect. and then you guys can take it away asking them about the 14 million that's left.

Hmmmm....seems to me the Sox could actually buy a pullpen with that money.

Lip

ewokpelts
04-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I'd love green seats too, but there are a few other things I want as well. I'd like them to get rid of the ramps, move them indside. Make a separate building to: hold the offices, a restaurant, and a new, larger White Sox Hall of Fame and Museum. So I could forgo green seats for a couple of years, considering most of the seats are still good. in order to get the other things done.

but how much will that cost?
might be more than 68 million, when you add the new roof, the "home run porch" and the renovations since 03
Gene

Hangar18
04-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Phil Arvia had me ............................Til he mentioned this line,
".........They took the cash they got, from RoofTop Ownership,
and some new seats behind homeplate, and used it to get
Greg Maddux". Sorry Phil, the next Time Mike Kiley says hes got some news for you, let me be the first to tell you hes the Biggest Cub Propoganda publisher in America. Dont let Kileys fluff fool you, which I see you did already.

soltrain21
04-11-2004, 07:48 PM
I think a charcoal color for the seats would look cool.

npdempse
04-11-2004, 11:21 PM
Did anybody else notice that this by Arvia

Make them Luis Aparicio and Nellie Fox, the double-play combination that spent seven years together, went to the Sox's last World Series and eventually landed in the Hall of Fame.


regarding statues looks curiously like Greg1983's post in this thread?:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=31318&s=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1&display=show

soxnut
04-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
but how much will that cost?
might be more than 68 million, when you add the new roof, the "home run porch" and the renovations since 03
Gene

Well they've got 14 million left approximately. The '03 renovations did not come from the US Celular money. I don't know how much that all would cost, but I would like to see that building out in LF with a HOF, and maybe some seating in RF, I don't think that would cost more than 14 mil.

Hangar18
04-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Use some of that Loot, and put 4 buildings on the LF Concourse, make them Resemble Old Time buildings out of the roaring 20s Chicago era,
And design them so that theyre Open Year Round. You would Solve 2 problems (problems Reinsdorf himself created, ironically)
One. People would have places to go to after the game.
Two. Would in itself, help Spark the Growth the area Desperately needs. Since Reinsdorfs Folly of trying his hand at Urban Planning blew up spectacularly, The neighborhood would get a shot in the arm with those restaurant/bars opening on the Concourse.

CubKilla
04-12-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
The '03 renovations did not come from the US Celular money.

True. The Sox received money earmarked for the Soldier Field Project from the State to fund the renovations in '02 and '03.

mweflen
04-12-2004, 05:20 AM
Interesting point in the article:

It's true that some of the seats are getting close to the "need replacement" point... there are plenty of drink holders that are twisting off, bolts sticking out (or completely gone), etc.

So why not make them green? I agree with the logic, especially if there are still a few million bucks in the fund.

Why are people so 'stuck' on green?

Well, Blue is not considered a 'natural' or organic color - it looks artificial and cold - especially when there's a sea of blue all together.

Green of course is the color of grass, is organic and frequently occurs in nature, and is 'warmer' to the eye (just like the reddish brown of brick is more pleasing to most eyes than the ashen gray of concrete). A vast sea of green seats would be a lot less jarring to the average viewer. (though hopefully vast seas of empty seats will be a declining phenomenon)

Charcoal or black seats - yikes! That would not be a good color choice. Then it really would look like "The Cell"...

I also echo (and shudder at) the prediction that the fan deck seats will be charged for soon - just like they want you to pony up $5 for window seats in the Stadium Club bar, I think it's basically inevitable...

I just hope at the very least if they start charging for the fan deck, that they earmark all of the obstructed seats in the UD as a year-round "budget" section - $5 or less, every day of the week.

fledgedrallycap
04-12-2004, 09:51 AM
I don't know how much Phil Arvia knows, but he sure handed one to Waddle last night on the Final Word. Corey threw out a question about the blatant media biasness going on right now between the two teams and has there ever been a greater seperation?

Waddle proceeded to mention back-to-back World Series Championships brought to the southside still wouldn't change a thing.

Phil said that is ridiculous and that the coverage and fan preference swings like a pendalum, right now it is swinging on the Cubs side. However, the Sox have attendance figures, TV ratings, etc. to prove as evidence the general masses have and will care again about White Sox baseball.

Rush20
04-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Use some of that Loot, and put 4 buildings on the LF Concourse, make them Resemble Old Time buildings out of the roaring 20s Chicago era,
And design them so that theyre Open Year Round. You would Solve 2 problems (problems Reinsdorf himself created, ironically)
One. People would have places to go to after the game.
Two. Would in itself, help Spark the Growth the area Desperately needs. Since Reinsdorfs Folly of trying his hand at Urban Planning blew up spectacularly, The neighborhood would get a shot in the arm with those restaurant/bars opening on the Concourse.

That's a great idea Hangar and I think the best part is that the money needed for this change COULD come from outside the original amount US Cellular quoted. For example, if we contracted with TGIF, Hooters (Like that one), etc. they would pay for the restaurant, etc. and allow year-long access. That would help build the neighborhood and put more butts in the park during games. Win-Win.

I hope the SOX brass are thinking outside the box on this and working all angles. They have done a great job so far, so Phase V will be the frosting on the cake. I hope they complete the puzzle; dark green/charcoal (depending on your vision :?: ) seats, a true upper deck right field (mostly to block out the existing outfield skyline) and a grand entrance, hall of fame, restuarant row, etc. in left field open year-round and fully capable of selling the US Cellular naming rights.

By the way things are going, I'm quickly forgetting the Comiskey name altogether and giving US Cellular their rights due to a great job.

MisterB
04-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I don't know how much Phil Arvia knows, but he sure handed one to Waddle last night on the Final Word. Corey threw out a question about the blatant media biasness going on right now between the two teams and has there ever been a greater seperation?

Waddle proceeded to mention back-to-back World Series Championships brought to the southside still wouldn't change a thing.

Phil said that is ridiculous and that the coverage and fan preference swings like a pendalum, right now it is swinging on the Cubs side. However, the Sox have attendance figures, TV ratings, etc. to prove as evidence the general masses have and will care again about White Sox baseball.

Unfortunately Phil is wrong, at least when it comes to recent history. Just to satisfy a curiosity I checked out the W-L records and attendance figures for the Sox and Cubs over the last 70 or so years. For most of that time the attendance numbers rose and fell pretty much in lock step with the teams' respective success on the field. But that all changed (oddly enough) around 1993. Ever since that year the Cubs' attendance has climbed and stayed high with no correlation to their winning percentage, whereas the Sox attendance is still linked to their on-field performance. Phil is wrong in that the 'pendulum' has apparently been stuck on the Cubs side for the last decade, which is unprecedented in Chicago baseball history.

Lip Man 1
04-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Mister B;

Having grown up in Chicago in the late 50's and through the 60's I can personally tell you that during the time period from 1951 through 1965, the Cubs were an afterthought with the Chicago media.

Nobody cared what those clowns did on the North Side except for their fans.

The media covered the Sox because the Sox were winning, were involved in pennent races seemingly every season and were drawing the business and advertisers. The media wants to make money, they went where they thought the best chances to make money were going.

Lip