PDA

View Full Version : The view from Yankee Stadium today...

delben91
04-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Was a great one if you were a Sox fan! I was in the right field box seats, third row, listening to all the Yankee fans berate Maggs all day. Anyway, my personal observations from today.

- this team is playing with a lot of fire right now. 3 times (willie twice and maggs once) did a player take an extra base when one of the Yankees mishandled the ball, big time aggressiveness. Also, in the 8th, Carlos absolutely destroyed Cairo at 2nd base, preventing him from turning the double play on a Konerko grounder

- Konerko, Harris and Crede are all hitting the ball hard right now, may not show in the box score for all of them (namely Konerko), but the swings are there

- Jose's HR was an absolute BLAST!!

- finally, and perhaps most importantly, is Buehrle. I wouldn't say he struggled through the first 4 innings, but man, starting in the 5th, it's like the lightbulb went on. There was not one hard hit ball by a Yankee the rest of the game until Koch came in (and even then there was only one, Koch's horrible throw is what made that 9th inning run for NY, he makes a good throw and it's a 1-2-3 inning on 3 soft groundouts). But anyway, it was the Buehrle of old out there, the Yankees couldn't get anything close to good wood on the ball, and he was ahead of almost every hitter. I really want to see how he does next time out, maybe Coop or someone adjusted something, or maybe his arm angle finally clicked, I don't know, but Mark went from good to amazing between the 4th and the 5th.

All in all, a great day in the Bronx for this Sox fan, hope they can make it 3 of 4 tomorrow!!

CyYoung5621
04-10-2004, 07:13 PM
That was really cool when Lee killed Cairo. I couldnt help but start laughing at it. Great effort all around today.

A. Cavatica
04-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Now that we've assured ourselves of a split in New York we can let Adkins start tomorrow.

SEALgep
04-10-2004, 07:15 PM
What did the fans say when Carlos absolutely crushed, although totally legit, Cairo?

TornLabrum
04-10-2004, 08:16 PM
My son Jeff and his friend Jeremy had a great view of the action, if you call sitting among the Bleacher Creatures a great view. Somehow they managed to make it out alive with one of the natives saying to them as they were getting ready to leave, "Thank you for not being obnoxious."

Many years of attending games at Comiskey Park and avoiding fights with drunks did serve a purpose.

delben91
04-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
What did the fans say when Carlos absolutely crushed, although totally legit, Cairo?

They were actually more upset that Konerko was called safe at first, because "he's so damn slow, no way he still got there". But they were booing Carlos as he left the field. Then, in the 9th when Maggs hit the bad hop grounder that bounced off Cairo's shoulder, they booed him mercilessly. There was nothing the guy could've done about it, purely a bad hop, it happens, but they were saying he wasn't playing hard enough, "first the double play ball, now this." Definitely proves it's hard being a Yankee sometimes.

SEALgep
04-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by delben91
They were actually more upset that Konerko was called safe at first, because "he's so damn slow, no way he still got there". But they were booing Carlos as he left the field. Then, in the 9th when Maggs hit the bad hop grounder that bounced off Cairo's shoulder, they booed him mercilessly. There was nothing the guy could've done about it, purely a bad hop, it happens, but they were saying he wasn't playing hard enough, "first the double play ball, now this." Definitely proves it's hard being a Yankee sometimes. Ya, real hard.

DSpivack
04-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Ya, real hard.

Or it's just hard being Miguel Cairo. Because he sucks.