PDA

View Full Version : Don Cooper's Interview

Jurr
04-10-2004, 04:21 PM
I heard a lot of good things coming out of the interview with Coop. For those of you that didn't watch it:

1. He talked about Schoney and how there is a great deal of room for continued improvement. He says that he's anxious to see his next couple of starts to find out if he can keep working in to the batters he faces. If Scott can continue to improve, we're talking about a great addition. Like I said before, if Schoeneweis can just keep the Sox in games to where we win half of 'em, we're talking about having a good record at the half, then we can add some other pitchers to help for the stretch run.

2. He also talked about Garland and how much it meant to JG to get through that 4 walk inning without a run. Also, the fact that nobody was warming up meant a great deal to JG's confidence. You saw what he did every inning after that.

3. Cooper mentioned how different the atmosphere is around the pitching staff, the dugout, and every other aspect of the Sox now that Ozzie is there. He says it's refreshing to see a mgr. go with his gut instead of thinking so damn much.

4. Coop's also excited about Cliff Politte and the flexibility he gives to the team. He said that Shingo Takatsu still needs some work, but hopefully he can get his overall stuff together.

This team is excited to be playing ball, and I think it all comes from the top. God bless Ozzie.

CyYoung5621
04-10-2004, 04:35 PM
I am extremely excited to see them in person when they come down here for 3 games against the Rays.

CubKilla
04-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Time to change that sig Cy :)

MRKARNO
04-10-2004, 04:39 PM
And DJ called Shingo, "Shingo Takashi"

beckett21
04-10-2004, 04:46 PM
I don't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing when he said that Ozzie had *no idea* Garland had 7 walks the other day, but it is a refreshing approach.

Tragg
04-10-2004, 04:51 PM
We certainly need Scho to be a competent starter this year to have a successful season.

But let's remember the price (aside from new contract) we paid- a forgettable Gary Glover.

TornLabrum
04-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
And DJ called Shingo, "Shingo Takashi"

After several years of watching Iron Chef, it could be that's how the name is actually pronounced.

kbriley
04-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Takashi is a common first name in Japan, and DJ played over there for a while so probably just had a momentary lapse.

crector
04-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Cooper may very well be the best pitching coach in the AL.

Brian26
04-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
After several years of watching Iron Chef, it could be that's how the name is actually pronounced.

Exactly. And DJ knows his Japanese stuff from playing over there, so he may have been right.