PDA

View Full Version : When Does wmvp's contract expire?

RedPinStripes
04-10-2004, 03:11 PM
For Sox braodcasts? Maybe i'm thinking into this too much, but I fear the Sox will be on the Score eventually. I read somewhere a few months back that JR was seen coming out of the Score's building and it was right after wmvp signed Mariotti. And the score has never had this much access top players and personel at Spring trainiung before with Bores and Bernstien

. KW, Ozzie, JR, Coop, just to name a few have all been on air recntly. JR has to be pissed about the Moron on their flagship station since he will continue to throw shots at JR, hawk and the whole organization as he has his love fest with the Cubs. I could be thinking a little too much into this, but the Sox are getting awefully friendly with the score latly.

CubKilla
04-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Whenever it expires, the Sox possibly leaving MVP for the SCORE will have less to do with Moronotti and more to do with $$$$$.

:reinsy

"You expected something different? SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!"

TornLabrum
04-10-2004, 03:34 PM
I believe the Sox have two more years on the deal.

BTW, this is a major part of the column that I sent George this morning. Hopefully it will be up in the next day or so.

RedPinStripes
04-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I believe the Sox have two more years on the deal.

BTW, this is a major part of the column that I sent George this morning. Hopefully it will be up in the next day or so.

Great minds think alike. I just cant write for ****. that why i post it here. :D:

Hangar18
04-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Cant happen soon enough. The SOX, whether their fault or ESPN, just dont take Enough Advantage of Being on a SuperStation like that. Thats Ashamed. Monday, ESPN, who is the Flagship Station of the SOX, will be Broadcasting and Helping Promote a Competing stations Product, WGN product the CUbs. thats enough nonsense right there to Want me to Split from that station. Think about it, Our Own Station IS COVERING THE CUB OPENER

CubKilla
04-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Cant happen soon enough. The SOX, whether their fault or ESPN, just dont take Enough Advantage of Being on a SuperStation like that. Thats Ashamed. Monday, ESPN, who is the Flagship Station of the SOX, will be Broadcasting and Helping Promote a Competing stations Product, WGN product the CUbs. thats enough nonsense right there to Want me to Split from that station. Think about it, Our Own Station IS COVERING THE CUB OPENER

And if the Sox go to the SCORE, they will be covering the Cubs Opener too. I see your point, but it is futile.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-10-2004, 04:27 PM
i liked willsy making fun of cubs fans on the postgame show, nice touch to a win over the spanks

hellenicsoxfan
04-10-2004, 04:48 PM
If Uncle Jerry wants out of the contract, there must be some way to buy out of it.

Oops, what was I thinking? That would cost money. That's not going to happen.

Never mind.

soxtalker
04-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
And if the Sox go to the SCORE, they will be covering the Cubs Opener too. I see your point, but it is futile.

True. I have no problem with the Sox station giving some coverage to the Cubs. But if seems that wmvp gives the Cubs more coverage than the WGN does of the Sox.

There would be some difference on the SCORE, however. WMVP seems to have a lot of network shows that aren't based here.

Daver
04-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by hellenicsoxfan
If Uncle Jerry wants out of the contract, there must be some way to buy out of it.

Oops, what was I thinking? That would cost money. That's not going to happen.

Never mind.

WMVP grossly overpaid to get the rights to broadcast Sox games,there is no way Jeery wants out of that contract.

soxtalker
04-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Daver
WMVP grossly overpaid to get the rights to broadcast Sox games,there is no way Jeery wants out of that contract.

That's true. So, how do you read the apparent warming of the relationship with the SCORE?

Brian26
04-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
That's true. So, how do you read the apparent warming of the relationship with the SCORE?

To some extent, MVP will be good to the Sox until the contract runs out. Wills and Mac are mostly solid Sox supporters. So, why not do your best to get on the good side of another station, too? The more, the merrier? WGN is never going to give the Sox the time of day, so you need all the help you can get.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-10-2004, 06:17 PM
I hope it happens. When I go to northern minnesota in the summer to go fishing, you can never get ESPN 1000 at night, but the score comes in clearly. I think this could expand the fanbase a little in the midwest.

duke of dorwood
04-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Haveing 670 coming into an area is not always a good thing. That station and most dribble out of their on air staff reeks.

TornLabrum
04-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
To some extent, MVP will be good to the Sox until the contract runs out. Wills and Mac are mostly solid Sox supporters. So, why not do your best to get on the good side of another station, too? The more, the merrier? WGN is never going to give the Sox the time of day, so you need all the help you can get.

I would further add that that other station is the most likely one to carry the games when the contract with WMVP expires in a couple of years. I'm expecting a mutual admiration society between them and the Sox until the divorce is final. In fact, it's looking as if they're taking an early honeymoon.

Railsplitter
04-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Haveing 670 coming into an area is not always a good thing. That station and most dribble out of their on air staff reeks.

Ironically, when WMAQ was on 670, it was the Sox radio staion through most of my formative years.

(BTW, Love the sig. Hmmmm, long legs and short skirts.

TornLabrum
04-10-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Ironically, when WMAQ was on 670, it was the Sox radio staion through most of my formative years.

(BTW, Love the sig. Hmmmm, long legs and short skirts.

And ironically when WCFL was on 1000, it was the Sox radio station through all of my formative years.

soxnut
04-10-2004, 11:00 PM
I'd like them to go back to 670 because of the signal. With that broad of a signal, theres a better chance at bringing in some new fans. I remember going up to Rhinelander, WI back in the '80's and we could almost hear the whole game on the way up.

Viva Magglio
04-10-2004, 11:56 PM
I think the No. 1 reason the Sox may move to WSCR after the 2005 season is because of the 50,000-watt clear channel blowtorch on the 670 AM frequency. Just as the Cubs are fan impactful with WGN's reach and the Cardinals are fan impactful with KMOX's reach, the Sox could be in a better fan impact position being with WSCR's reach. The White Sox probably would have actually stayed on 670 AM had it not been for WMVP giving JR everything but the kitchen sink in 1995 when that deal was made.

Brian26
04-10-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter

I still remember Nancy Turner taking calls for Jimmy Peirsall on the postgame shows in '82.

soxnut
04-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I think the No. 1 reason the Sox may move to WSCR after the 2005 season is because of the 50,000-watt clear channel blowtorch on the 670 AM frequency. Just as the Cubs are fan impactful with WGN's reach and the Cardinals are fan impactful with KMOX's reach, the Sox could be in a better fan impact position being with WSCR's reach.

Exactly. Hopefully it happens.

Lip Man 1
04-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Soxnut:

The Sox could get fans on an off shore radio station if they just do this one little item...

Win something meaningful.

Lip

springrovesoxfan
04-11-2004, 02:05 PM
I would like to see them on any station other than WMVP just so I could listen to them at work. I work out in Woodstock and inside the building I acnt get MVP, but I get the score as clear as day.

MikeKreevich
04-11-2004, 06:27 PM
I too would be happy if the Sox returned to the 670 frequency. I've spent enough frustrating nights 260 miles southwest of Chicago trying to pull in WMVP's signal. A side benefit might be an ex-sox player hired by the SCORE for one of their shows. I dream big.

KingXerxes
04-11-2004, 07:36 PM
I'd like to see the White Sox also move radio stations, but not to WSCR. The problem with being broadcast on an all-sports station is that the station has to cover all sports, and that includes Cubs. WGN doesn't have this problem because they only carry the Cubs, and have to spend very little time covering the White Sox because White Sox fans generally don't listen to WGN. The same cannot be said about WSCR or WMVP. If either of them become to "rah rah" toward one team or the other, they risk losing potentially half of their audience.

WLS would be a good option, they could use a daily break from their "all talk" format, and could institute an all-talk White Sox show on off days. WBBM-AM also comes to mind.

Viva Magglio
04-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
WLS would be a good option, they could use a daily break from their "all talk" format, and could institute an all-talk White Sox show on off days. WBBM-AM also comes to mind.

I don't think either will happen. First of all, WMVP and WLS are under the same corporate umbrella (ABC/Disney). The same is the case with WSCR and WBBM (Infinity). Neither WLS nor WBBM will want to give upwards of 600 hours of their regular programming per year to air baseball games from spring training to regular season to postseason play. It's true that WBBM airs Bears games, but they take place on Sunday afternoons which are normally slow news periods and, hence, not too disruptive to WBBM's all-news format programming. WLS has no interest in sports whatsoever, even though they could act as a Bulls shadow outlet when there are Bulls/Sox conflicts on WMVP.

That is why WSCR would be the favorite to land the Sox after 2005.

RedPinStripes
04-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Looks like i wasnt the only one thinking of this. :smile: