PDA

View Full Version : Who are THESE Guys?

CubKilla
04-10-2004, 04:10 PM
Botch hitting 95 MPH on the radar gun

C Lee going hard and clean into second base breaking up a DP

Ozzie letting his pitchers PITCH

Sacrifice bunts to the right side of the IF with runners in scoring position and less than two outs

Aggressive baserunning

Quality defense..... although today was a bad day defensively.

A quality start from each of our SP's..... minus Schoenweis' first 2 innings and Garland's first 4.

These guys don't look like the same bums that couldn't get going until July of last year under Jerry Manuel. I realize it is only 5 games but it is 5 completely different games played aggressively and, for the most part, correctly..... minus the season opening debacle.

jamteh
04-10-2004, 04:15 PM
I get all choked up just thinking about it--a team that actually plays the game hard and seems like it cares. I'm totally psyched!

MRKARNO
04-10-2004, 04:20 PM
What's Changed?

Everything.

HomeFish
04-10-2004, 04:22 PM
This is a repeat of either 2002 or 2000. I'm not going to get excited until we figure out which one it is.

Unregistered
04-10-2004, 04:22 PM
The Sox always play inspired ball vs. the Yankees. The Sox have won the last 3 series in a row versus New York. Hopefully by playing them in April and not August, we can use this as a springboard for the rest of the season.

beckett21
04-10-2004, 04:24 PM
I am excited as well.

Not to be a downer, but let's see how they play against a lesser opponent. If we can't get juiced up for the Royals and the Yankees home opening series', that is unforgivable. How we play the lesser teams will go a long way to determining our fate. We played down to the level of competition last season.

That said, I agree 100% --this is a different team by FAR.

So far, so good...let's keep it rollin' !

chisoxmike
04-10-2004, 04:29 PM
This is a repeat of either 2002 or 2000. I'm not going to get excited until we figure out which one it is.

Very true, the Sox were in first place for most of April and May of 2002, until they got swept by the Yankees, it was all downhill after that.

It all comes down to the central division show downs vs the Tigers. :D:

pearso66
04-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Maybe it's a good thign the Tigers are off to a strong start. If they continue playing well until we first play them at the end of July, maybe we will take them seriously, and spank the crap out of them

jabrch
04-10-2004, 07:07 PM
I don't hear much from the Ozzie-bashers right about now.

surfdudes
04-10-2004, 07:51 PM
It's amazing how well these guys play when they have a pulse....
Way to go Ozzie

ND_Sox_Fan
04-10-2004, 08:18 PM
The end of corpseball has finally come!!

DSpivack
04-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by ND_Sox_Fan
The end of corpseball has finally come!!

I love that we're playing like this in April, but I'll really be happy if we're still playing like this in October.

cubhater
04-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Besides playing small ball, we're still hitting HRs. Who says we can't do both!!!! Havn't we homered in all games except Thursday?:gulp:

Looks like Ozzie has lit a fire under this team and has them playing the game like it should be played with intensity. Yeah, yeah, it's still early but I like what I see.

MRKARNO
04-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by cubhater
Besides playing small ball, we're still hitting HRs. Who says we can't do both!!!! Havn't we homered in all games except Thursday?

I dont see why we can't do both. Allow for the power as the status quo, but if we need to start manufacturing runs or we're at the bottom of the lineup, we should be able to do that.

Ken
04-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Any Sox fan that knows anything about baseball had to know that JM was the problem all along. We had too much talent to be so bad for so long! The only ones who covered for him were the corporate people and players who didn't want to work any harder than they had to for the past five seasons!

Railsplitter
04-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by cubhater
Besides playing small ball, we're still hitting HRs. Who says we can't do both!!!!:gulp:

Amen and amen! If youn have guys who can hit, let them hit. If you have guys who can run, let them run.

soxnut
04-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Even though it is early, I like the way they are playing. It has been a long time since this team has played "real baseball". I said it so many times last year, the Sox problem was their approach at the plate and their attitude. Both of those things have changed, and it's because of Ozzie.

MikeW
04-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Ah, what a great couple of days so far. Got to see Friday and Saturday's games in person. Believe me, the Yankee faithful were crying their hearts out and I even got quite a few compliments about the Sox from Yankee land. It is also nice to see a few Sox fans in attendence and even though my kids and I didn't personally know these other Sox faithful there was that high five and bonding after the two games.

soxnut
04-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Botch hitting 95 MPH on the radar gun

C Lee going hard and clean into second base breaking up a DP

Ozzie letting his pitchers PITCH

Sacrifice bunts to the right side of the IF with runners in scoring position and less than two outs

Aggressive baserunning

Quality defense..... although today was a bad day defensively.

A quality start from each of our SP's..... minus Schoenweis' first 2 innings and Garland's first 4.

These guys don't look like the same bums that couldn't get going until July of last year under Jerry Manuel. I realize it is only 5 games but it is 5 completely different games played aggressively and, for the most part, correctly..... minus the season opening debacle.

Who are these guys?? The same guys you've dogged out all winter long. The same guys you didn't want to buy tickets to see. the same guys that I knew under Ozzie's command that were going to do exactly what they are doing.The same guys that I'm buying tickets to see as much as I can. :cool:

blueeyes33
04-10-2004, 11:12 PM
these are the same guys that just last week you were all dogging on when we lost to the royals.

soxnut
04-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by blueeyes33
these are the same guys that just last week you were all dogging on when we lost to the royals.

I wasn't dogging 'em

Lip Man 1
04-10-2004, 11:57 PM
It's encouraging to see them at least break even on a tough opening road trip, they should be 4-2 at least but that's another story.

Before we decide one way or another let's give it some time. The bullpen still is a major cause for concern...we'll see.

Lip

CubKilla
04-11-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
Who are these guys?? The same guys you've dogged out all winter long. The same guys you didn't want to buy tickets to see. the same guys that I knew under Ozzie's command that were going to do exactly what they are doing.The same guys that I'm buying tickets to see as much as I can. :cool:

They're also the same fools who looked like they didn't give a **** the last 3 seasons, who either wouldn't or refused to play fundamental baseball, who refused to hit the ball to the opposite field, who couldn't bunt to save their lives, rarely stole bases, and who's defense was mediocre on a good day.

So save your grandstanding until say..... September. I'm just pleasantly surprised that the White Sox have looked like a complete 180 from their former selves the last 5 games.

gosox41
04-11-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
The Sox always play inspired ball vs. the Yankees. The Sox have won the last 3 series in a row versus New York. Hopefully by playing them in April and not August, we can use this as a springboard for the rest of the season.

But the Yankees have a high payroll and money=winning. If we ever met NY in the playoffs they're guaranteed to sweep us.

Bob

VeeckAsInWreck
04-11-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
But the Yankees have a high payroll and money=winning. If we ever met NY in the playoffs they're guaranteed to sweep us.
Bob

:boston
Bob, You obviously know how we think at ESPN, would you like a job on Baseball Tonight?

soxnut
04-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
They're also the same fools who looked like they didn't give a **** the last 3 seasons, who either wouldn't or refused to play fundamental baseball, who refused to hit the ball to the opposite field, who couldn't bunt to save their lives, rarely stole bases, and who's defense was mediocre on a good day.

So save your grandstanding until say..... September. I'm just pleasantly surprised that the White Sox have looked like a complete 180 from their former selves the last 5 games.

Ok I'll have my grandstand ready then.......................... :D:

ode to veeck
04-11-2004, 02:01 PM
I like the looks of the Sox so far. So far Ozzieball is beating the crap outta Corpseball. I like the aggresiveness on the base paths too. Paulie got more steal signs in one game the other day than he got all last year ... & its been paying off. Yeah the bullpen is key .. and they need the front end of the lineup to somehow get on base consistently to set up the meat of their lineup. Hold your breath and hope this keeps up.

I was opposed to Ozzie as mgr vs a more experienced skipper, but at this point I like how he's got the team headed mentally, and trying to get them to grow into their capabilities, like not even thinking about taking Garland out the other day--he's not at all shortsighted, unlike that new ice cream vendor who never met a new lineup he didn't like ...

Lip Man 1
04-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Bob;

BIG difference between basicly 'meaningless' games in April and games in October with most of the country watching, in a hostile atmosphere, with the pressure ratched up 100%.

Big, big difference.

That's where veteran talent wins out most of the time.

Unlike you I want the Sox to know they are going to win in October. You seem to be content that they can 'luck' their way to winning.

The past 100+ years have shown one thing about the Sox....they don't have a hell of a lot of 'luck.'

Spend the damn money and get the talent!

Lip

mweflen
04-12-2004, 05:09 AM
well, not to be puckish or anything, but every team will be playing in Oct. this year, including the Sox - thanks to those kooky scheduling wags at MLB! :smile:

agreed - it's like a breath of fresh air watching these guys play. seeing the contrast makes a person downgrade the Manuel era in hindsight.

But then... the Sox looked pretty good in 2000, and everyone was singing Manuel's praises, then.

But let's accept for the moment the theory that JM is basically one of those "-5" managers - whose ineptitude with the game or with personalities ends up costing their team at least 5 games.

So what accounts for 2000, then?
Fortuitous synchronized hot streaks?
Talented role players like Perry, Valentin, Tony G, Wunsch? Hugely lucky starting pitchers (Sirotka, Baldwin, Parque, Eldred)? The decline of Cleveland and the pre-ascendent Twinkies?

Did the 2000 Sox succeed despite Manuel?

gosox41
04-12-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Bob;

BIG difference between basicly 'meaningless' games in April and games in October with most of the country watching, in a hostile atmosphere, with the pressure ratched up 100%.

Big, big difference.

That's where veteran talent wins out most of the time.

Unlike you I want the Sox to know they are going to win in October. You seem to be content that they can 'luck' their way to winning.

The past 100+ years have shown one thing about the Sox....they don't have a hell of a lot of 'luck.'

Spend the damn money and get the talent!

Lip

Lip,

The only difference between the regular season and October is things are decided in a much shorter series. That means luck plays a lot of luck in it.

The Sox played in fornt of crowds of 46K avg for the Yankees game in an environment that I would hardly call friendly. Yet I didn't see them intimidated or back down at all. In fact, they have played well at the Stadium for the last few years

You don't know any more then I do that if the Sox get to the playoffs they would just get swept out. You like to say that, and recent history has allowed that to happen. But based on your logic that team taht spends the most money has the most talent and wins.

How did the Angels and Marlins win it the last 2 years then?

Who do you predict to win it all this year. Bett eryet I'll make it simpler for you, who do you think will be in the Series for each league?

My point is you don't know. Obviously as you bring up every day of your life, money makes things easier, but that doesn't mean if the Sox face the Yankees in the playoffs they're automatically going to go 3 and out.

Lastly, you want the Sox to "spend the damn money" Again, you're under the assumption that they have the damn money to spend.

I hope you do interview that owner posted in another thread. But if you do be sure to post his real name here for us so we can see that he is a real owner, and not some idiot who claims to be.

Bob

Lip Man 1
04-12-2004, 02:50 PM
Bob:

A few points:

I got an e-mail back from the friend of that minority owner and he said he barely knows him and doesn't feel comfortable giving me the information so that I can call him.

Second, I can tell you and be pretty damn close who IS going to make the playoffs this year and have been able to do it for the past ten years.

Spending money increases your chances of making the post season and winning in the post season. It's a statistical fact (do I have to post Selig's comment again ?)

I want the Sox chances of winning to be as potentially high as possible. I don't care if that means that by spending money that percentage only goes up from say 50% to 55%. That's still increasing your chances.

I don't want to have to rely on a slug like Danny Wright, Neil Cotts or Jon Adkins deciding if the Sox are going to win a playoff series because ownership is to cheap to get quality in the back end of the rotation. Or having to piss in my pants if Shingo has to come in late in a playoff game with a series on the llne. Or hoping garbage like Juan Uribe can get a hit to send a playoff game to extra innings when better players were avilable for procurement...do you ?

I don't consider the Angels a fluke, they had a payroll in the upper 60's the year they won and have now increased that to over 100 million in the two years hence.

Your 2005 World Series teams will be either Boston / New York in the A.L. and either Philadelphia or the Cubs in the N.L.

Amazing....teams that have very large payrolls!

Lip

doublem23
04-13-2004, 08:48 AM
Good call on those Marlins, by the way. Oh, and if you're going to rag on Neal Cotts, at least have the commom courtesy to spell his name right. I'm sure if he was going to rip on you, he wouldn't call you Lyp.

Lip Man 1
04-13-2004, 02:36 PM
One amendment to my picks. If Prior is out longer then the end of June, the Astros get my nod.

Lip