PDA

View Full Version : Guillen use of the bullpen

gosox41
04-10-2004, 07:19 AM
THe only thing that concerned my about yesteday's 9-3 win was how Guillen used the bullpen. I think it was the 7th inning the Sox were up 8 runs and Shingo and Politte are warming up. Fine. Nothing wrong with that, the I'd probably save Politte for a close game.

Jackson and Adkins are warming up. The lead is still 9-1. In the 9th inning Ozzie brings in Shingo, definitely the right thing to do with a big lead.

My question is why was Ozzie warming up 4 relievers with an 8 run lead in the late innings of a game? I understand it's not over till it's over, but those pitches thrown in the bullpen still effect the arm. And considering the injury problems to guys like Jackson and Politte, I'd be a little weary of ever warming both of them up on the same day when odds are netiher will be beeded to come in.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

TornLabrum
04-10-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
THe only thing that concerned my about yesteday's 9-3 win was how Guillen used the bullpen. I think it was the 7th inning the Sox were up 8 runs and Shingo and Politte are warming up. Fine. Nothing wrong with that, the I'd probably save Politte for a close game.

Jackson and Adkins are warming up. The lead is still 9-1. In the 9th inning Ozzie brings in Shingo, definitely the right thing to do with a big lead.

My question is why was Ozzie warming up 4 relievers with an 8 run lead in the late innings of a game? I understand it's not over till it's over, but those pitches thrown in the bullpen still effect the arm. And considering the injury problems to guys like Jackson and Politte, I'd be a little weary of ever warming both of them up on the same day when odds are netiher will be beeded to come in.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

Just a quick guess off the top of my head? Monday's dabacle.

owensmouth
04-10-2004, 07:28 AM
It could also have been that they hadn't pitched for a while and just needed to exercise their arms. At one point Marte was warming up also.

Railsplitter
04-10-2004, 08:47 AM
It was also a question of whether to put Marte in to shed the Lazy 8 or save him if case he's needed for the next game.

ode to veeck
04-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Marte was also warming up in the 8th as well. Shinzo had White Sock and I nervous as hell as he somehow survived his stint as 9th inning batting practice slash reliever.

SEALgep
04-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Plus they weren't really throwing hard in their warm ups. It looked like they were just tossing, and next time they showed the pen two different guys were doing the same thing. I don't think anyone exerted themselves.