PDA

View Full Version : Starting pitching - excellent


batmanZoSo
04-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Who would've thought we'd be 4 for 4 in quality starts right now? Maybe 2/4, possibly 1/4 if Loaiza or Buehrle had a bad day, but now it's up to DW to complete the hand.

I think it's clear that this team is better managed than last year's. Someone must be doing something right because none of the four pitchers had their best stuff--or control--and none gave up more than 3 runs.

SoxFan76
04-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Schoenweis is my MVP of the week. This guy did a hell of a job against a potent Yankee lineup when we all predicted him to fail. Definitely give kudos to Jon today. He did a great job as well, but we expect that out of him. Schoenweis showed some balls by not letting those first innings get him down.

1951Campbell
04-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
Schoenweis is my MVP of the week. This guy did a hell of a job against a potent Yankee lineup when we all predicted him to fail. Definitely give kudos to Jon today. He did a great job as well, but we expect that out of him. Schoenweis showed some balls by not letting those first innings get him down.

And on top of it all, Schoe didn't get any help from the home plate ump in that game...quite the small strike zone.

SoxFan76
04-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Very true, even more credit towards SS.

batmanZoSo
04-10-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
And on top of it all, Schoe didn't get any help from the home plate ump in that game...quite the small strike zone.

Every game so far our pitchers have gotten squeezed. But they're still walking way too many batters and that's their own fault. The big question is--are the four really good for overcoming their lack of control...or were they just lucky to keep us in games despite walking so many? I don't really believe the latter is the case. If you think about it, all four pitchers were under heightened pressure in their first starts.

Buehrle--pitching opening day and trying to forget about last year.
Loaiza--has to prove he's no fluke
Schoeneweis--has to prove he's worthy of starting...and doing so against the best lineup in baseball
Garland--expected to take the next step and become a front end pitcher...and of course, starting off in the Bronx like Schoeny.

StillMissOzzie
04-10-2004, 01:00 AM
Yes, it has been all good so far. I want to admit when I'm wrong, and although it's only one start, Schoenweis looked good vs. the Yankmes. Hell, holding them to 3 runs 2 days in a row is impressive.

SMO

gosox41
04-10-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Who would've thought we'd be 4 for 4 in quality starts right now? Maybe 2/4, possibly 1/4 if Loaiza or Buehrle had a bad day, but now it's up to DW to complete the hand.

I think it's clear that this team is better managed than last year's. Someone must be doing something right because none of the four pitchers had their best stuff--or control--and none gave up more than 3 runs.


I know by definitition the Sox have had 4 quality starts, but there is one thing one fact that has been overlooked: In 3 of those 4 starts the Sox have given up more walks then strikeouts.

It may seem piddly, but over time that is oging to burn you. The great pitchers around the league tend to have a K/BB ratio ofat least 2:1. In this case, Buerhle would be at 1:1 and all these outehr guys would be worse.

I'm sure things will improve, but overall I'm surprised Schoene pitched as he did against the Yankees and hopefully JG boosted his confidence after yesterday's game.


Bob