PDA

View Full Version : Timo or Rowand?

SoxBoy14
04-09-2004, 06:28 PM
After todays game it's obvious that Timo has a lot of talent. He went 2 for 2 with a stolen base. I think Rowand is a solid player, but some times his offense is faulty. I think Timo should start getting more starts and keep Rowand as a back up center fielder.

On another note Olivio looked fantastic out there. Sandy should only start when Beuhrle is pitching otherwise put Olivio behind the plate.

jabrch
04-09-2004, 06:31 PM
I want Rowand to get 250 ABs before we decide on him. Timo had a good game, but he has had plenty of chances in NY and has never proven worthy of being an every day guy. I like having him so we can substitute out Rowand or Lee in late innings for defense.

Olivo is a wonderful talent. I hope he continues to develop as a hitter. Sandy is also a good hitter and a veteran leader. I don't mind seeing him get 2 or three games in each week to keep Olivo fresh.

Blueprint1
04-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Here we go again after 3 games played we are ready to move Rowand out of his position. I think the guy desirves a chance to spend at least a half season as the starter before we move him out of there.

SoxBoy14
04-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Does anyone know if Rowand is starting tommorow?

HomeFish
04-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Two Syllables: TI-MO.

batmanZoSo
04-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I want Rowand to get 250 ABs before we decide on him. Timo had a good game, but he has had plenty of chances in NY and has never proven worthy of being an every day guy. I like having him so we can substitute out Rowand or Lee in late innings for defense.

Olivo is a wonderful talent. I hope he continues to develop as a hitter. Sandy is also a good hitter and a veteran leader. I don't mind seeing him get 2 or three games in each week to keep Olivo fresh.

I agree. I do like having Perez on the team though. He was clutch as hell with the Mets in 2000. He can hit and run pretty well...he's a good utility man.

iwannago
04-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I agree. I do like having Perez on the team though. He was clutch as hell with the Mets in 2000. He can hit and run pretty well...he's a good utility man.

I agree give Rowand a chance. He was pretty solid in Charlotte and had a good second half last year. Timo did have his chance in NY.

OEO Magglio
04-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Here we go again after 3 games played we are ready to move Rowand out of his position. I think the guy desirves a chance to spend at least a half season as the starter before we move him out of there.
Yeah exactly, give Rowand a shot, Timo played great today, but it's one game, Rowand is a better player then Timo is, I like having Timo as the 4th outfielder, but lets not overreact after one game.

Daver
04-09-2004, 08:16 PM
A discussion over who is the better fourth outfielder amuses me.

The fact that the Sox do not see fit to get an actual CFer nauseates me.

Paulwny
04-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Daver

Yep, some teams starters are other teams bench players, if that.

mrwag
04-09-2004, 08:24 PM
I say go with who's hot. I don't want to see someone out there 0-3, 1-4 for days on end without giving someone else a chance. JM did that for too many years. Let's play the people who are performing, regardless of who the "starter" is.

OurBitchinMinny
04-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Why the hell is everyone so in love with rowand? What the hell has he ever done? He had a good last month last year, but was not real clutch when they needed him to be (against the twins, but no one was). Timo is a .270-.280 career hitter. Im not saying give either one the job for good. Platoon them for a while. Rowand hasnt proved he is an everyday player and ST doesnt count. Hes off to another slow start this year. Dont give up on him, but dont play him just to play him. hes not that good

batmanZoSo
04-09-2004, 09:05 PM

We need a middle infielder (either side) more than a center fielder. Say what you want about Rowand but he's not going to kill you like Harris will with the bat. Either this summer or for next year we gotta find a Luis Castillo type to play second and put Uribe at short. Someone that can steal bases and hit .270. Center field will be taken care of in time with Anderson or Reed. I think Rowand and another platoon guy can hold down the fort until then.

Daver
04-09-2004, 09:10 PM
We need a middle infielder (either side) more than a center fielder. Say what you want about Rowand but he's not going to kill you like Harris will with the bat. Either this summer or for next year we gotta find a Luis Castillo type to play second and put Uribe at short. Someone that can steal bases and hit .270. Center field will be taken care of in time with Anderson or Reed. I think Rowand and another platoon guy can hold down the fort until then.

Reed is a converted infielder,and Anderson has never played a full season of minor league ball,whatever happened to winning now?

batmanZoSo
04-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Reed is a converted infielder,and Anderson has never played a full season of minor league ball,whatever happened to winning now?

Hey I said to get a second baseman by the trade deadline if there's one out there. Sooner or later the top of the order is gonna kill us and that's what needs to be addressed before center field. And the bullpen. If all goes well and we get a second baseman and acquire a reliever or two a la Sullivan last year, we'll be serious contenders. I'm all about winning this year and every year for that matter.

batmanZoSo
04-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Why the hell is everyone so in love with rowand? What the hell has he ever done? He had a good last month last year, but was not real clutch when they needed him to be (against the twins, but no one was). Timo is a .270-.280 career hitter. Im not saying give either one the job for good. Platoon them for a while. Rowand hasnt proved he is an everyday player and ST doesnt count. Hes off to another slow start this year. Dont give up on him, but dont play him just to play him. hes not that good

You're right, except for the part about people being in love with Rowand. You just have people who really hate him and others who think he can do the job for now. I personally see no reason why he can't do a serviceable job with a solid platoon partner. And him getting most of the at-bats.

OurBitchinMinny
04-09-2004, 09:33 PM
I dont mean in love with him, but they just put an awful lot of faith in a guy who has accomplished nothing at the ML level. He may be serviceable and I dont think its as big a weakness as 2B, but those people who think he is going to be a star are deluding themselves.

Malgar 12
04-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Seems to me Rowand has hit some pretty clutch home runs, and if memory serves me several were against the cubs. I agree that he should be given a chance, but if he doesnt perform, then you have to consider Timo.

As to the criticism that they're both fourth outfielders, at least that means you concede they're both major league talents.
The same cannot be said about Willie Harris. 2B any way you slice it is a more urgent concern.

Daver
04-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Malgar 12
[/B]
As to the criticism that they're both fourth outfielders, at least that means you concede they're both major league talents.
The same cannot be said about Willie Harris. 2B any way you slice it is a more urgent concern. [/B]

I would consider Juan Uribe to have MLB talent.

The question is,does Ozzie see this?

Malgar 12
04-09-2004, 10:00 PM

Agreed. But until Harris is cut loose, and Uribe is standing at 2B on a regular basis we've got a problem.

beckett21
04-09-2004, 11:31 PM

This pretty well summarizes this thread.

Next, we can argue the virtues of Politte v. Takatsu for Koch's setup man.

TDog
04-09-2004, 11:42 PM

A lot of guys were clutch in 2000. Until they faced the Mariners in the ALDS.

batmanZoSo
04-10-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by TDog
A lot of guys were clutch in 2000. Until they faced the Mariners in the ALDS.

What does that have to do with Perez?

Foulke You
04-10-2004, 01:20 AM

Just curious Daver, on what basis are you making the case for Uribe here? The guy swings from his heels to hit a HR every time up so far but we don't need that from him. I'm not sure if this is a Coors Field swing we need to snap him out of or if he is trying to make a good impression by blasting some HRs but I haven't been overwhelmed by his plate discipline.

I'm not a Willie Harris fanboy by any means but Willie's approach at the plate looks much better to me than Uribe's. In this small slice of the regular season so far, Willie seems to be looking for base hits while Uribe is looking for the long ball. I know which one I want leading off.

Mohoney
04-10-2004, 01:55 AM

Actually, Daver, I woud say the exact same thing as you.

Carl Everett, Roberto Alomar, and Tony Graffanino could have ALL been back for about 6 MM this year. In other words, for the price of Jose Valentin and a paltry 1 MM out of Uncle Jer's pocket.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would MUCH rather have those 3 guys on my club than Jose ".235" Valentin.

Plus, if the "investors" would have kicked in about 10 MM more, and would be willing to ditch USELESS prospects like Borchard, Nunez, and Harris, we could have had Orlando Cabrera to fill the hole at SS. I DOUBT that Montreal would have refused a package of Borchard, Nunez, Harris, and cash for Cabrera, considering that Vidro will also probably be traded anyway.

My dream lineup:

1. SS Cabrera
2. 2B Alomar
3. RF Ordonez
4. DH Thomas
5. LF Lee
6. CF Everett
7. 1B Konerko
8. 3B Crede
9. C Olivo/Alomar, Jr.

That lineup and defense would win 90 games, REGARDLESS of pitching. Since our pitching is at LEAST average compared to the rest of the AL, with this lineup, we would win about 105 games.

If only JR would loosen the pursestrings for JUST ONE SEASON!

pearso66
04-10-2004, 11:36 AM
That lineup and defense would win 90 games, REGARDLESS of pitching. Since our pitching is at LEAST average compared to the rest of the AL, with this lineup, we would win about 105 games.

I wouldnt go Guaranteeing that that line up would win at least 90 games. It sounds like cub fans Guaranteeing they are gonna make the WS. Always let the season play out. I think we could possibly win 90-95 games this year.