PDA

View Full Version : Way to go Ozzie...

MaggPipes
04-09-2004, 07:19 PM
How about Ozzie sticking with Garland. He said he was going to give him the chance this year, and boy did he take it. Sure he struggled with his command a little, ok a lot, but that can be expected with his long lay-off. This is what we are going to get without Jerry. Our pitchers are going to get the chance to get wins...this season will be fun to watch atleast.

TornLabrum
04-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by MaggPipes
How about Ozzie sticking with Garland. He said he was going to give him the chance this year, and boy did he take it. Sure he struggled with his command a little, ok a lot, but that can be expected with his long lay-off. This is what we are going to get without Jerry. Our pitchers are going to get the chance to get wins...this season will be fun to watch atleast.

I couldn't agree with you more. Garland would have been out in the fourth if Manuel was managing this team.

jabrch
04-09-2004, 07:34 PM

I am glad he got through the problems, but I am not happy he threw 119 pitches through 8 innings of opening day. I hope Ozzie can find the balance between the two. I don't know what it is - but I hope the balance can be found.

kingpin_rcs
04-09-2004, 07:36 PM
I agree that it was good that Ozzie kept Garland in there. But, Garland was quite lucky to get out of that inning alive.

He walked 4 batters and would have walked a run in if it weren't for Olivo picking Matsui off of second. The whole time I was hoping that he would just get out of the inning so he could go back to the dugout and regroup.

I think that if somebody had gotten a big hit, Ozzie would have gotten sombody up in the pen. BTW, did anybody start warming up in the pen during that inning? I don't remember.

HomeFish
04-09-2004, 07:39 PM
At this rate, FireGuillen.com is going to have to become a mouthpiece for the pro-Ozzieball movement.

thezeker
04-09-2004, 07:45 PM

I've got a feeling this is going to be the first of many "Way to go Ozzie" threads. It's early but I like the feel of where he is taking this ballclub.

He could turn out to be just what White Sox fans are looking for. This could be the start of a very special season on the South Side.
Hell, we deserve it!!!!

Paulwny
04-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by kingpin_rcs
BTW, did anybody start warming up in the pen during that inning? I don't remember.

No, which scared the hell out of me.

iwannago
04-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
No, which scared the hell out of me.

No one was warming, that's a true sign of confidence.

Scotty347
04-09-2004, 08:03 PM
It might have been a blessing in disguise what happened on opening day with the bullpen. Ozzie going right to that lefty-righty matchup crap instead of sticking with Koch. I think he learned from that first day and our team may be better for it.

Lip Man 1
04-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Maybe nobody was warming up because even a tired, nibbling Jonny- boy is better then the refuse that the Sox are calling a bullpen (especially from the right side...) But who needs Gordon, Sullivan or Urbina! We've got Cotts, Takatsu and Pollitte!

Lip

rahulsekhar
04-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Maybe nobody was warming up because even a tired, nibbling Jonny- boy is better then the refuse that the Sox are calling a bullpen (especially from the right side...) But who needs Gordon, Sullivan or Urbina! We've got Cotts, Takatsu and Pollitte!

Lip

Hey Lip - is the glass ever even 1/2 empty with you or just all the way? Sheesh - talk about always finding the worst possible slant, regardless of there being no evidence one way or another. It's like an anti-spin machine. If you were a Yankee fan, would you be complaining about the lack of starting pitching depth despite their having the best team in the bigs?

Bottom line: This team has played well enough to be 4-0 against 2 very good teams, all on the road, with the 2 losses coming 1)with a meltdown from our best reliever (and one of the best in the AL), and 2)getting shut down by a VERY good starting pitcher. If they guys play like they have so far, we're going to win a bunch of games and take the division. The starting pitching has been good, the defense seems pretty good, and most importantly, the attitude and ability to bounce back from a tough loss seems to be 100% different from last year.

1951Campbell
04-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Apparently, Ozzie is the only manager in the bigs who has realized that the human arm has not devolved so much in the last 25 years that it is impossible to pitch a CG.

If our starters have to pitch 270 innings plus to keep us out of the bullpen, so be it. There's no reason why dudes tossing 25 years ago could have 15+ CG a year and todays hurlers plead fatigue if they throw 10 CGs and 230 innings.

Strap it on, Sox starters, you're our only hope.

voodoochile
04-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
Apparently, Ozzie is the only manager in the bigs who has realized that the human arm has not devolved so much in the last 25 years that it is impossible to pitch a CG.

If our starters have to pitch 270 innings plus to keep us out of the bullpen, so be it. There's no reason why dudes tossing 25 years ago could have 15+ CG a year and todays hurlers plead fatigue if they throw 10 CGs and 230 innings.

Strap it on, Sox starters, you're our only hope.

You mistake the fact that the pitching talent pool is diluted, that the guys who could be pitchers are being pulled into other sports at younger ages, futher diluting the talent pool and that I would guess the average career length is longer today than back then.

How many pitchers could do what you are referring to year in and year out back then. Don't confuse the ones we remember (the stars) with the average pitcher.

Still, I am not upset to see Garland left in to do his thing. He needs a confidence boost as much as anything and Ozzie just gave him a big one. Hopefully it carries over to the rest of the season...

OEO Magglio
04-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip
Lip you are way to negative. Politte is going to be a great addition to the bullpen, him and marte are going to make a great combo setting billy up, if Koch really is starting to get his velocity back, the White Sox bullpen is going to be very, very good this year.

1951Campbell
04-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You mistake the fact that the pitching talent pool is diluted, that the guys who could be pitchers are being pulled into other sports at younger ages, futher diluting the talent pool and that I would guess the average career length is longer today than back then.

How many pitchers could do what you are referring to year in and year out back then. Don't confuse the ones we remember (the stars) with the average pitcher.

Still, I am not upset to see Garland left in to do his thing. He needs a confidence boost as much as anything and Ozzie just gave him a big one. Hopefully it carries over to the rest of the season...

I bet if you look at your Baseball Encylopedia and check the late 70s and early 80s you can see plenty of forgettable picthers throwing 220+ innings, and plenty of forgettable guys throwing 10+ CGs.

I'm young yet, but still old enough to remember (1) star picthers who could do 15, 20 CGs a year, and (2) hacks who did 10 or so, and (3) the almost now-unheard of CG loser.

My modest point was that the Sox would be wise to stay the hell out of the bullpen, even if that goes against all this pantywaist conventional wisdom about pitch counts, etc., and I am also happy for Garland. Maybe this will allow him to shed the "Judy" moniker.

1951Campbell
04-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Lip you are way to negative. Politte is going to be a great addition to the bullpen, him and marte are going to make a great combo setting billy up, if Koch really is starting to get his velocity back, the White Sox bullpen is going to be very, very good this year.

That should be in deeppink .

OEO Magglio
04-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
That should be in deeppink .
I guess we'll find out, but I really do believe, if Koch is indeed getting his velocity back, the pen will do a great job this year.

beckett21
04-10-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I guess we'll find out, but I really do believe, if Koch is indeed getting his velocity back, the pen will do a great job this year.

Where has Billy-boy's velocity BEEN, exactly...on vacation??

I just cannot understand why people are still burning a torch for Koch. Eternal optimism I guess. Don't hold your breath.

On a positive note...

It was nice to see Garland work today. Ozzie gets a lot of credit there. Count me with those who are starting to believe in his motivational methods. They do look like a different ballclub already. Hopefully they can sustain the effort. The starting pitching has been very good overall and I see no reason why it can't continue.

The bullpen still scares the daylights out of me; I don't trust any of them yet. I'll give Marte the benefit of the doubt, but outside of him they will have to earn my trust.

SSN721
04-10-2004, 11:55 AM
I have no problem with a manager sticking with his guy through the eighth inning. I think that Garland is good enough to handle at least a few 120 count outings. I think that this outing will pay huge dividends in the future as far as overall confidence in his game and confidence in the fact that he can make one or two mistakes and not worry about being pulled instantly. With the way Garland was pitching from the 5th inning on I had no problem with Guillen keeping him in there. I truly think it was a good thing and will pay off in the long run.