PDA

View Full Version : If Manuel was still here.....

BearSox
04-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Question posted by the Yankees tv announcers... If Manuel was still here, would Garland have been pulled after his 4th walk in the 4th inning?

Man I'm lovin White Sox baseball right now! We got guts!

soltrain21
04-09-2004, 06:34 PM
No doubt he would of been pulled.

I bet Jerry was sitting at home yelling at the TV saying how much of moron Ozzie was.

jeremyb1
04-09-2004, 06:46 PM
...his arm might still be attatched to his body. Haha.

TornLabrum
04-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by BearSox
Question posted by the Yankees tv announcers... If Manuel was still here, would Garland have been pulled after his 4th walk in the 4th inning?

Absolutely.

SoxBoy14
04-09-2004, 07:33 PM
If Manuel where still here Garland would've been pulled in the 7th inning. He would've put in Cotts, Politte, and Koch and let them blow the lead. Thank goodnes he's gone.

iwannago
04-09-2004, 07:56 PM

I think Kaat mentioned that around five times. Say what you want about the Yankees and New York but their TV announcers are great!

Brian26
04-09-2004, 08:53 PM

Hawk and DJ made a huge point of this on the postgame. Ozzie's gonna give Garland a chance to be a really good major league pitcher...a chance to win maybe 20 games.

nitetrain8601
04-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Hawk and DJ made a huge point of this on the postgame. Ozzie's gonna give Garland a chance to be a really good major league pitcher...a chance to win maybe 20 games.

Hopefully he does win close to 20. That will make the loss of Colon much less than we first thought. Garland looked like the guy we usually see in the 2nd half. Hopefully he keeps it all up all season long. And good decision by Ozzie to pitch him up until the 9th. He's a rookie manager and is already doing better than Jerry.

Paulwny
04-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
I think Kaat mentioned that around five times. Say what you want about the Yankees and New York but their TV announcers are great!

Kaat, Kay and Singleton are good, Bobby Mercer SUCKS BIG TIME .

LongLiveFisk
04-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
If Manuel where still here Garland would've been pulled in the 7th inning. He would've put in Cotts, Politte, and Koch and let them blow the lead. Thank goodnes he's gone.

Not to mention that Buehrle is FINALLY going to get a chance to pitch in Yankee Stadium tomorrow. And good ol' Jerry's not here to botch this one up!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
Not to mention that Buehrle is FINALLY going to get a chance to pitch in Yankee Stadium tomorrow. And good ol' Jerry's not here to botch this one up!

Oh boy, thanks for bringing back the nightmares! :smile:

:jerry
"Well, it is important to win the series. Since we already beat New York twice, I'll save Mark for the mighty Detroit Tigers and let Neal Cotts start in Yankee Stadium. I want to be known as the first manager in the entire history of the game to set his rotation to beat a team on pace to lose 120 games."

LongLiveFisk
04-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Oh boy, thanks for bringing back the nightmares! :smile:

"Well, it is important to win the series. Since we already beat New York twice, I'll save Mark for the mighty Detroit Tigers and let Neal Cotts start in Yankee Stadium. I want to be known as the first manager in the entire history of the game to set his rotation to beat a team on pace to lose 120 games."

Sorry, couldn't resist! :smile:

To this day, I'm STILL trying to figure that one out. But I guess your Jerry caption there probably sums it up pretty well.

RKMeibalane
04-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Manuel was such a dweeb. Even now, I still can't even begin to understand some of things he did.

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playing Frank at first base."

Viva Magglio
04-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by iwannago

Kaat pitched for the White Sox, so I think he has somewhat of a favorable bias towards them despite his being a Yankee announcer.

Brian26
04-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Kaat pitched for the White Sox, so I think he has somewhat of a favorable bias towards them despite his being a Yankee announcer.

Kaat always has respected the Sox, even back in the early 90's when he was on CBS.

1951Campbell
04-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Marge : But I didn't even get a paycheck!

Homer : Oh, you will...

[cut to unemployment office]

Marge : $300 for doing nothing?

JM taking the place of Bush I : It gets easier every week (kisses check).

Moral of the story...JM is gone. Let's move on and repress the memories. It's a new era.

MikeW
04-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Living here in the New York area I get to hear the Yankees announcers all the time and believe me Jim Kaat is a breath of fresh air when it comes to the Sox. He has mentioned on several occasions his first major league start was against the Sox and spoke highly of Fox and Aparicio. What a difference from the Mel Allen and Phil Rizzutto years where they didn't say a word if the Sox or any opposing team made a nice play. They were Yankees morning, noon and night.

Paulwny
04-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk

Yesterday, Kaat called the Cotts/Buehrle game as possibly being the one game which turned the sox season around. :angry:

As PHG said, a nightmare.

ode to veeck
04-10-2004, 09:56 AM
If Manuel was still here, would Garland have been pulled after his 4th walk in the 4th inning?

You betcha, and then we'd have the stellar Cotts on the mound today. It's still amazing that we were even in the pennant race in September with the Tinkerer on the loose ...

ode to veeck
04-10-2004, 10:00 AM
The NY announcers also made note of the fact the Sox have taken 6 of 9 from Yanks at home the last 4 years with Seattle the only other team with a winning record in the Bronx Brewery in the same span. More specifically Kaat said the Sox totally were thumping the Yanks and looked like they were ready to print WS tix before the Cott incident turned it around.

starboy0
04-10-2004, 10:22 AM

That is a great way to put it. The Sox are being proactive and aggresive; Ozzie isn't afaid to put faith in his players and let them show him what they can do.