PDA

View Full Version : Sandy on Vazquez

Jjav829
04-09-2004, 01:36 PM
"Best breaking ball I've seen; Bert Blyleven doesn't throw it better," Alomar said, referring to the former pitcher noted for his curve.

"He throws the breaking ball for strikes," Alomar said. "You don't know where it's going to land. He changes speeds with the breaking ball. He throws it hard. He throws it at you. He knows how to set you up. He is a very smart pitcher. He would have beat everybody in the major leagues today. Nobody would have beat him today with the stuff he had. We have a good offensive team, but he was on today."

But the manager, Guillen, knew Vazquez well. Didn't he offer his hitters any help? "The manager said he throws any pitch in any count," Alomar said. "You say wait a minute, if the guy throws any pitch in any count, if he's that nasty, what are we doing here? We might as well stay at the hotel."

You have to be registered to read the whole article. Here (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/09/sports/baseball/09CHAS.html) is the link. It's pretty much all Yankee stuff but I found those quotes from Alomar interesting.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Yep Vasquez has some movement on his pitches. He's gonna be tough all year, especially since not many AL hitters have seen his stuff on a regular basis. I would go so far as to say he will dominate the most AL teams on his first outing against them

sas1974
04-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
especially since not many AL hitters have seen his stuff on a regular basis. I would go so far as to say he will dominate the most AL teams on his first outing against them

Just like Shingo! :D:

I am personally not too upset that we may only have to face this guy once more, until we make the playoffs of course. When you have Major League vets, especially a catcher, saying how nasty he was, that is REALLY saying something.

RichFitztightly
04-09-2004, 02:54 PM
As a fan, you never like to see your team lose, but in this case, the Sox got beat. It's much less heart-breaking than the opening day loss. You just tip your cap to Vasquez and move on.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-09-2004, 02:57 PM
i was really hoping the white sox would go after him to fill in for the loss of colon during the offseason because it was widely known that the expos were going to trade him... :(:

jabrch
04-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
i was really hoping the white sox would go after him to fill in for the loss of colon during the offseason because it was widely known that the expos were going to trade him... :(:

Didn't he sign a 3 year extension with NYY for more than Colon got from Anaheim? Sure - I'd have loved Vazquez, but that wasn't realistic.

SoxxoS
04-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Is anyone else glad we don't have to see the Yankees again?

That is a great thing.

Then again, that means we don't get any time on Baseball Tonight until we play the Red Sox :angry: