PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fans seen in Chicago, a Pro-SOX Moment

Hangar18
04-09-2004, 12:59 PM
this is in response to our brother, Kittle42's wearing the colors proud last nite. I have a Similar story to Report ............

Walked into a bar called CelticCrown on western, nice place good food. Chalkboard outside said "Come In & watch the Cubs"

Instinctively, I bent over and ERASED the "cubs" part. As i was finishing, the bouncer from inside saw me, and was about to chew me out, when he say my SOX jacket on.
He laughed and said ...."Oh....I see why, thats cool man. I hate them too". Are you a SoxFan then? "not really, I follow them both kind of, they just seem to get a bunch of hype right now, kind of getting old you know?"

Older guy at the bar sees my jacket and says "I salute you"
and hes got a sox hat. we hi-fived and people saw SOX fans talking like this. nice story to report.

npdempse
04-09-2004, 01:25 PM
The last couple of weeks I'm seeing ALL KINDS of Sox colors on people on the South Side, more than years past it seems. I don't know if baseball fever is taking hold again finally, or if people are tired of Cub fandom and want to oppose it, but I'll take it.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
this is in response to our brother, Kittle42's wearing the colors proud last nite. I have a Similar story to Report ............

Walked into a bar called CelticCrown on western, nice place good food. Chalkboard outside said "Come In & watch the Cubs"

Instinctively, I bent over and ERASED the "cubs" part. As i was finishing, the bouncer from inside saw me, and was about to chew me out, when he say my SOX jacket on.
He laughed and said ...."Oh....I see why, thats cool man. I hate them too". Are you a SoxFan then? "not really, I follow them both kind of, they just seem to get a bunch of hype right now, kind of getting old you know?"

and hes got a sox hat. we hi-fived and people saw SOX fans talking like this. nice story to report.

You're a good Sox Fan. Be fruitful and multiply.

faneidde
04-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
The last couple of weeks I'm seeing ALL KINDS of Sox colors on people on the South Side, more than years past it seems. I don't know if baseball fever is taking hold again finally, or if people are tired of Cub fandom and want to oppose it, but I'll take it.
I know that I've worn my Sox hat to class everyday for the past week just because I got so tired of seeing brand new Cub hats come out. And you can always tell true Cub fans from bandwagoners. A bandwagon jumper will tell you that the Cubs are going all the way and nothing can stop them. A true Cubs fan will tell you the Cubs could/should go all the way, but they will most likely choke.

Oh, and after the Sox blew that 7-3 against the Royal pains in the ass, I went to an exam that night, I saw a guy wearing a Sox hat and asked him if he was a fan, he kinda smiled and said yeah. We got talking about the game and the season, and before you know it, people were coming over to sit by us and talk Sox baseball. There were maybe 10 of us by the time the exam started. So, there are still a few Sox fans left.

Dadawg_77
04-09-2004, 02:44 PM

I was in that place about year ago and that crack addict Ronnie Woo Woo walked in. It looked like he was trying to get some free drinks or something. Walked around the place, no gave him much notice then walked out. It was funny to see.

jackbrohamer
04-09-2004, 03:17 PM
There are a lot more Sox fans than people realize, they just have virtually no voice whatsoever in the media

Whitesox029
04-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Maybe Jerry ought to sell to the Sun-Times. Then maybe we'd be a little closer to equal.
:sellreinsy

Dadawg_77
04-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Whitesox029
Maybe Jerry ought to sell to the Sun-Times. Then maybe we'd be a little closer to equal.
:sellreinsy

Nah then we just become a front for illegal payments to execs.

MJL_Sox_Fan
04-09-2004, 04:54 PM
I too have seen more sox fans out wearing Sox gear. I think it is in response to the overwhelming Cubs coverage, that Sox fans are doing this. Kind of thumbing our noses are the media elite. I know that is why for the first time in a few years I made a point to go out, buy some sox shirts, and wear them more when I go out. Screw the media! The underground Sox revolution is inevitable!

Hangar18
04-09-2004, 06:04 PM
There is a Digital Insurgency Going on here ...........

TornLabrum
04-09-2004, 07:31 PM
I've gotta get me one of those new road jackets! Does that make me a bandwagon jumper if I do?

PaleHoseGeorge
04-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I've gotta get me one of those new road jackets! Does that make me a bandwagon jumper if I do?

No, buying a new road jacket alone does not make you a bandwagon jumper. However, buying one and then chanting, "RIGHT FIELD SUCKS!" would be an entirely different situation. :smile:

hsnterprize
04-09-2004, 08:21 PM
There is a Digital Insurgency Going on here ........... THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED....*

...at least not now. Soon...very soon...the silver and black will rise again, and the Cubbie hype as we know it will be vanquished as it deserves to be!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, I wear my Sox cap everywhere I go. I'm not ashamed to support the South Siders. I even start conversations with others who wear the Sox colors, and most of them are Sox fans. I've only run into 1 person who "kinda" likes the Sox. I asked him why he was wearing the cap, and he really didn't have a good answer.

Like you said in a post long ago...wear your Sox stuff as an act of defiance against the Cubbie-loving media who tells us "everyone loves the Cubs. "

* - That line was a popular rap lyric back in the 80's. It often symbolized the insurgence of rap and hip-hop to the mainstream culture.

cubhater
04-09-2004, 08:36 PM
I was at the Jewel Foods by Addison/Kedzie this afternoon and counted three people besides myself wearing Sox stuff and only one lost soul wearing a Cub hat. Then I went to the Target down the block where there were two other shoppers wearing Sox shirts and didn't notice any Cub crap on anyone. A toast to the Northside Sox fans!!!! :gulp:

On the other hand, I've seen more people wearing Cub gear here in Bridgeport. I'm sure I'll see less and less of it as the season goes on.

iwannago
04-09-2004, 09:15 PM
I was raised in Chicago but lived in many parts of the US, Europe and Asia and believe me I've seen Sox geer worn over cub geer at least 3 to 1.