PDA

View Full Version : Bulletin Board Material for Yankees

sas1974
04-09-2004, 08:47 AM
Our we providing unnecessary motivation to a team that just beat us yesterday? We have to play these guys 6 more times in the next 2 weeks. Don't get me wrong, I like the aggressive attitude, but do you think it's a good idea to make the following statements, even if they are true?

From today's Trib:

"You never know what is going to happen with Kansas City," Valentin said. "They run, they bunt, they hit, everything. Here, this is a team that just waits for a swing."
"I say I have more fear of Kansas City than New York ," Valentin said. "They have more ways to beat you. [The Yankees are] going to score some runs, but if they don't pitch they're going to have some problems, and they don't have the same staff they used to."

Dadawg_77
04-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
Our we providing unnecessary motivation to a team that just beat us yesterday? We have to play these guys 5 more times in the next 2 weeks. Don't get me wrong, I like the aggressive attitude, but do you think it's a good idea to make the following statements, even if they are true?

From today's Trib:

Either Jose is on crack or is trying to play mental games with KC.

Paulwny
04-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Why the hell do some people on this team continually open their mouths about other teams ? If the YES broadcasters mention this during today's game then you know the yankmees heard this.
SHUT UP AND LET YOUR BAT DO THE TALKING.

DMarte708
04-09-2004, 10:43 AM
I haven't read this statement in any local newspaper (Trib or Sun-Times), though rotoworld ran their usual player summary with another interesting quote:

Jose Valentin, who has abandoned hitting from the right side, began his season 0-for-6 with six strikeouts against lefties Brian Anderson and Darrell May.
Valentin went on to dis the Royals' starters: "Those guys, I don't feel like they have the stuff to strike me out six times," he said. "They're not that tough." Valentin said he isn't even considering going back to hitting right-handed, though that could change if the White Sox start platooning him. In any case, he's not someone who belongs in the No. 2 spot in the lineup.

He just doesn't get it. KW needs to put a gag order on him right now before teams start drilling him.

anewman35
04-09-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by DMarte708
He just doesn't get it. KW needs to put a gag order on him right now before teams start drilling him.

I'd be happy if teams started drilling him. At least then he'd be getting on base.

oldcomiskey
04-09-2004, 11:22 AM
oh please if that weremsomebody else besides him youd be calling him a team leader--which by the way---he is

DMarte708
04-09-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
oh please if that weremsomebody else besides him youd be calling him a team leader--which by the way---he is

How many "team leaders" are quoted as saying another teams starters don't have good enough stuff to strike him out? If other teams are sharing your belief (of Jose being a "team leader) then the assumption might be made that the Sox believe in what he says. Not exactly the man you wan't representing your club.

Dadawg_77
04-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by DMarte708
How many "team leaders" are quoted as saying another teams starters don't have good enough stuff to strike him out? If other teams are sharing your belief then the assumption might be made that the entire team believes this way. Not exactly the man you wan't representing your team.

Or lack understanding of the game. The Royals a better hitting team then the Yankees? Please, lay off the crack.

Jerry_Manuel
04-09-2004, 12:29 PM
I believe it was Paulwny who posted like 2 days ago that Torre was upset because the Yanks we're just swinging for the fences.

Which is what Jose is saying in my mind. He's saying the Royals play small ball and the Yanks wait for a big homer.

Perhaps I don't understand english though.

His comment on the pitching though is dumb.

sas1974
04-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I believe it was Paulwny who posted like 2 days ago that Torre was upset because the Yanks we're just swinging for the fences.

Which is what Jose is saying in my mind. He's saying the Royals play small ball and the Yanks wait for a the big homer.

That may very well be the case. This is a problem that has plagued the White Sox' powerful line up for the last few seasons, but Jose has no reason to comment on the fact, especially after they just lost while only scoring one run. If there's anyone's offense he should be worried about it's his own (I think he'll be just fine, for the record). It just doesn't make any sense to me to stir the pot.

RKMeibalane
04-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Jose Valentin = Village Idiot

Jerry_Manuel
04-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
If there's anyone's offense he should be worried about it's his own (I think he'll be just fine, for the record). It just doesn't make any sense to me to stir the pot.

Oh, I agree completely.

The Sox need to get their 1 and 2 hitters on base, then worry about the other teams.

RKMeibalane
04-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Does anyone else find it disturbing that almost every time Frank or Magglio comes up to bat, no one is on base? It reminds me a lot of what happened last season, when Manuel was constantly tinkering with the lineup. The Sox limped through April and May, completely incapable of scoring more than a few runs each game. I don't want the same thing to happen again this season. If Harris doesn't get his act together by the end of the weekend, Uribe should be made the starter. If that doesn't work, then Rowand should move to the lead-off spot.