PDA

View Full Version : Let's not panic just now.

Railsplitter
04-09-2004, 07:36 AM
I know the specter of imminent disaster is part of being a Sox fan, but after three days in, it's a bit too much.

Last night, AM 1000 was bemoaning the fact the first two batters in the Sox had a combined batting average under .200 I don't remember the actual number, but The Daily Hearald has updated batting averages in the box scores of both local teams, and has Harris at .000 and Valentin at .154. Niether number is encouraging, but Konerko is hitting .400 and Alomar .429. Those two figures aren't going to stand the course of the whole season, and niether are those for Harris and Valentin.

jabrch
04-09-2004, 10:29 AM
I don't see any real panic here at wsi. 3 games is not enough sample to really measure anything. Sure opening day sucked - after we had a lead and blew it. But there have been some real positives so far. The SP has been good. ELo, MB and Sho were all as good or better than expected. The D has been decent.

OK - so the pen sucks. The baserunning still sucks. Manos has had 3 bad days - so has Harris. I think everyone here is smart enough to not panic and make the end of the world out of this.

iwannago
04-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
I know the specter of imminent disaster is part of being a Sox fan, but after three days in, it's a bit too much.

Last night, AM 1000 was bemoaning the fact the first two batters in the Sox had a combined batting average under .200 I don't remember the actual number, but The Daily Hearald has updated batting averages in the box scores of both local teams, and has Harris at .000 and Valentin at .154. Niether number is encouraging, but Konerko is hitting .400 and Alomar .429. Those two figures aren't going to stand the course of the whole season, and niether are those for Harris and Valentin.

Sounds like Cubs fans!

batmanZoSo
04-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
I don't see any real panic here at wsi. 3 games is not enough sample to really measure anything. Sure opening day sucked - after we had a lead and blew it. But there have been some real positives so far. The SP has been good. ELo, MB and Sho were all as good or better than expected. The D has been decent.

OK - so the pen sucks. The baserunning still sucks. Manos has had 3 bad days - so has Harris. I think everyone here is smart enough to not panic and make the end of the world out of this.

Harris has to go. And Valentin should never hit 2nd. If we have two do-nothings at the top of our lineup, it doesn't matter how good the big boppers hit, it will kill us.

I don't agree that the pen sucks. Basically it was Marte alone and he made two really bad pitches. Since then they've all done pretty well. But it's still too early to make a judgement either way. I'm just on the no reason to panic yet side with the pen,.

jabrch
04-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Harris has to go. And Valentin should never hit 2nd. If we have two do-nothings at the top of our lineup, it doesn't matter how good the big boppers hit, it will kill us.

I don't agree that the pen sucks. Basically it was Marte alone and he made two really bad pitches. Since then they've all done pretty well. But it's still too early to make a judgement either way. I'm just on the no reason to panic yet side with the pen,.

Well, the pen sucked, in my opinion, before opening day. Politte walks guys too much. He did last year, he will do so this year. Takatsu doesn't look like a major leaguer. His stuff won't fool bigleague hitters. Marte should be fine - chalk it up to a bad outing. Koch looks much better than last year. Cotts? Adkins? I just don't think this is a good bullpen. Then again, nobody in the division has a good bullpen - so we may be OK.

iwannago
04-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

Let's give Harris some time although I think Aaron should bat first followed by C Lee. 7,8 and 9 should be Valentin, Olivo and Harris.
The rest of the order is fine.