PDA

View Full Version : Twins to leave the Baggy?

batmanZoSo
04-09-2004, 01:57 AM
http://www.mlb.com/images/2004/01/06/MZumHhCa.jpg

I had no idea. I just found this on the Twins site. I don't really care for this design.

Here's an earlier design that's been at ballparks.com for a few years. I like it a lot better. I think they picked the wrong one.

http://ballparks.com/baseball/american/minbpk03.jpg

This one's more angular and I like when one side of the outfield has an upper deck like that. You could actually play football in this one cause it's a horseshoe.

But whatever they're building, they can't build it soon enough. If I never have to watch the Sox play in that abomination of a ballpark they got now I'll be a happy camper. Though we'll miss out on CLee's "adventures on the great astro turf planes."

OurBitchinMinny
04-09-2004, 02:08 AM
Ive lived up here for 10 years and they have about 15 different designs. It will never pass. This state is ridiculous.

Railsplitter
04-09-2004, 08:07 AM
My first thought of the Twinkie dome is the 150 foot hit that bounced 12 feet over Baines' head back in 1985.

sas1974
04-09-2004, 08:59 AM
The dimensions of the playing surface in that top picture look very Wrigley-esque with the walls pinching in down the lines and the cut outs in the alleys.

sas1974
04-09-2004, 09:02 AM
I think another member mentioned this recently, but I think all of these new parks look far too similar. There's no novelty, very much like "the cookie cutter years." I think when it's all said and done, Comiskey is actually going to end up standing out as one of the unique parks in the game.

soxnut
04-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
I think another member mentioned this recently, but I think all of these new parks look far too similar. There's no novelty, very much like "the cookie cutter years." I think when it's all said and done, Comiskey is actually going to end standing out as one of the unique parks in the game.

I'm thinking the same thing........

fledgedrallycap
04-09-2004, 10:22 AM
If the Vikings can't even muster enough power to get a stadium deal done, the Twins are eternal optimists. Rumor has it, the Vikes may be shipped out to L.A. within a couple years, leaving the Twinkies to fend for themselves. The NFL is dead-set on getting a team into that TV Market. With Arizona locking up plans for a new stadium, it appears the Vikings and Colts will be picked to move. However, if the Vikings do move, that may actually help the Twins chances in the long-run, but who knows....

I agree, not impressed and am getting tired of the "retro" look.

SoxBoy14
04-09-2004, 10:35 AM
it just looks like another mediocre ballpark.

fhqwhgads
04-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
it just looks like another mediocre ballpark.

Believe me, mediocre would be a step up from the Dome. This retractable-sliding roof design is anything but mediocre in my opinion.

wdelaney72
04-09-2004, 11:25 AM
My prediction: The Vikings will move to Los Angeles, crying about no stadum deal in Minnesota. Keep in mind, the NFL desperately wants a team in LA, even though the fans don't seem to care.

After that occurs, the people of Minnesota will fear the Twins will move (or be contracted) and approve a stadium vote.

batmanZoSo
04-09-2004, 11:49 AM
I think another member mentioned this recently, but I think all of these new parks look far too similar. There's no novelty, very much like "the cookie cutter years." I think when it's all said and done, Comiskey is actually going to end up standing out as one of the unique parks in the game.

Great point. Nobody liked the Eiffel Tower when it was built.

batmanZoSo
04-09-2004, 11:54 AM
The latest design really does look like Wrigley from above, it's uncanny.

One good thing they have going with their new park plans is their roof. See how when it's open it's completely out of the stadium? It's always lingering over right field in other retracta-domes and causing this ominous, unnatural shadow. Safeco looks really bad with that. Speaking of which I don't think I've ever seen the roof closed there. It must not rain as often as they say it does.

CubKilla
04-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Comiskey is actually going to end up standing out as one of the unique parks in the game.

"Unique" to a point where it becomes the striking example of what not to do when building a new baseball stadium a far a zoning, direction, cost, and height go.

Brian26
04-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
My first thought of the Twinkie dome is the 150 foot hit that bounced 12 feet over Baines' head back in 1985.

LOL. I remember that. Didn't that end a game, too? Wasn't it an inside the park homerrun to end the game?

jabrch
04-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
My prediction: The Vikings will move to Los Angeles, crying about no stadum deal in Minnesota. Keep in mind, the NFL desperately wants a team in LA, even though the fans don't seem to care.

After that occurs, the people of Minnesota will fear the Twins will move (or be contracted) and approve a stadium vote.

The people of Minnesota have proven time and time again that they don't care much. The Northstars left - and Minneapolis/St. Paul are hockey towns. The state has rejected several stadium bids for the pro teams. They did build a nice basketball arena for the U of Minn recently, I think.

I don't think the people of MPLS/STP care if the Vikes walk, or if the Twins walk. They'd miss them for a bit - but they'd get over it quickly. Just like they did with the NorthStars.

ma-gaga
04-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I don't think the people of MPLS/STP care if the Vikes walk, or if the Twins walk. They'd miss them for a bit - but they'd get over it quickly. Just like they did with the NorthStars.

yeah... One of the two will get built. My gut is telling me a new baseball stadium will get approved, but buried in the public referendum.

It will take a team leaving here to get the stadiums built. It's sad, but the truth. blah blah blah... priorities.

StillMissOzzie
04-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
yeah... One of the two will get built. My gut is telling me a new baseball stadium will get approved, but buried in the public referendum.

It will take a team leaving here to get the stadiums built. It's sad, but the truth. blah blah blah... priorities.

My hat's off to the good citizens of Minnesota who have the guts to tell pro teams to quit feeding off the public trough. I believe it's been proven that new stadiums:

1) Do not add much in the way of jobs or economic growth to a city;
2) Are only short-term revenue boosts to the team;
3) Are corporate welfare for rich owners

However, it's the fans that bear the brunt of the loss of their team.

SMO

batmanZoSo
04-10-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
My hat's off to the good citizens of Minnesota who have the guts to tell pro teams to quit feeding off the public trough. I believe it's been proven that new stadiums:

SMO

Isn't Karl Pohlad worth 3 billion dollars? Yeah, let the people pay for it.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie

SMO

I completely agree. Unfortunately a large percentage of the public believes the only way to project "big league" status to the rest of the country is having a "big league" team playing inside a "big league" stadium.

Have you ever noticed that the more a town resembles a cow pasture (Kansas City, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh), the more vigorous the cry from the local yokels to get a big publicly-funded stadium complex built? It's absolutely amazing.

You don't hear half as much from cities like New York or L.A. Shea Stadium is a dump, but the Mets aren't going anywhere. The NFL doesn't even have a team in the #2 market because L.A. is completely unwilling to bend over and build them a new playground. Meanwhile Cincinnati has stadiums lined up on their riverfront like a string of pearls, Pittsburgh tears down 30 year-old Three Rivers and builds a new updated version just blocks away, and Milwaukee bends over for Bud Selig and puts up Ebbetts Field -- with a removable roof! LMAO!!!

It's nuts. The novelty wears off, the stadium lies half-empty on game days (and completely empty the other 200+ dates of the year) and the ballclub isn't any more competitive than when they played in their old shed. Even Camden Yards and Jacobs Field couldn't hide the truth for too long...

Selig is a used car salesmen. Who is surprised he is a liar, too?

Mickster
04-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Excellent post, George!

Max Power
04-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
The people of Minnesota have proven time and time again that they don't care much. The Northstars left - and Minneapolis/St. Paul are hockey towns. The state has rejected several stadium bids for the pro teams. They did build a nice basketball arena for the U of Minn recently, I think.

The Gophers still play basketball in the old barn, Williams Arena. UMinn does have a faily new hockey arena, if that's what you're thinking of. Also the Wild have a new arena.

ma-gaga
04-10-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Max Power
The Gophers still play basketball in the old barn, Williams Arena. UMinn does have a faily new hockey arena, if that's what you're thinking of. Also the Wild have a new arena.

yeah, Norm Coleman pulled a Seattle Mariners City Council and passed a stadium bill for the Wild without a public vote. I don't know the exact details of that deal, but I think St. Paul is paying for a good portion of it. But NHL hockey is in a mess right now. The Wild are one of the few "economically feasible" franchises.

Minneapolis has already bought out the Target Center where the Timberwolves play. I think they/we are on the bill for $5MM a year for the next 10 years. There's even rules setup so the principal owner, Glen Taylor cannot renovate the building because of the public dollars invested in it, even private money.

I want a new stadium, because the Metrodome sucks. It's nice during 100+ degree days and -10 degree days, the heating and A/C is pretty impressive for such a monsterous volume. But the playing surface sucks, the roof sucks, and the atmosphere sucks. There's just something special about outdoor games.

I don't mind spending some of my dollars on a new stadia, but I understand that my neighbors/friends/relatives don't feel the same way. phhew, priorities. :D:

davidleeroth
04-10-2004, 03:04 PM
when i went up to watch iowa beat the hell out of minnesota 2 years ago in football it was a cold day outside. really really cold. i cant tell you how good it felt to be able to watch the game in a t shirt- long live the dome.

IA_soxfan
04-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by davidleeroth
when i went up to watch iowa beat the hell out of minnesota 2 years ago in football it was a cold day outside. really really cold. i cant tell you how good it felt to be able to watch the game in a t shirt- long live the dome.

The game where all the hawkeye faithful tore down the goal-posts and tried to carry them out of the stadium! Completely irreverant, and I loved it.

Viva Magglio
04-11-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by wdelaney72

Isn't Minneapolis more of a Vikings town than a Twins town? Wouldn't the powers that be up there fight to keep the Vikings before the Twins?

On a side note, I believe the University of Minnesota is planning to build a new on campus football stadium (outdoor) for the Golden Gophers. Currently, they play in the HHH Metrodome with the Twins and Vikings.

DSpivack
04-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Isn't Minneapolis more of a Vikings town than a Twins town? Wouldn't the powers that be up there fight to keep the Vikings before the Twins?

Is there anything really wrong with the HHH Dome.... as a football stadium?

batmanZoSo
04-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

On a side note, I believe the University of Minnesota is planning to build a new on campus football stadium (outdoor) for the Golden Gophers. Currently, they play in the HHH Metrodome with the Twins and Vikings.

The Hump dome is a fine football stadium. Therein lies the problem for the Twins...in a "multi-purpose facility" it's either serviceable for both sports or it's great for one and terrible for the other. The round ones were okay for both, but rectangular as in the baggy and miami, doesn't work for baseball.