PDA

View Full Version : Will 3-3 suffice?

soxwon
04-08-2004, 09:14 PM
would you accept a 3-3 record coming home?
or is 4-2 more in demand, that will be hard winning 3 in a row in NY.

i predicted 13-9 for the month.
thats gonna be hard to do.
but as da reverand says-keep the faith

CHISOXFAN13
04-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by soxwon

If we go 13-9 in April, we could win 95 games. This is such a tough month. I'd be thrilled with a 3-3 start.

poorme
04-08-2004, 09:17 PM
we'll be damn lucky to wind up 3-3

HomeFish
04-08-2004, 09:20 PM
3-3 is an optimistic prediction given our pitching staff and the offense of the team we're playing. Wouldn't complain at all.

Especially if we finished our first homestand 6-3...

DMarte708
04-08-2004, 09:21 PM
I would have no problem with a 3-3 record.

Tomorrows matchup of Jon Garland vs. Jose Contreras remains the game which presents the greatest challenge for the Sox.

Contreras line against the Sox last season:
1-0, 0.00 in 2003 vs. CHI

ChiSox7
04-08-2004, 09:23 PM
I'd take 3-3 in a new york minute. that would be AWESOME. all on the road against pretty solid teams, getting our new york trip out of the way. I can't rmeember hte last time Minny won up there. That being said, I don't think 2-4 would be all that bad considering who we played, especially if we could play well at home.

OEO Magglio
04-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
3-3 is an optimistic prediction given our pitching staff and the offense of the team we're playing. Wouldn't complain at all.

Especially if we finished our first homestand 6-3...
I agree I would love a 3 and 3 record, but I really like the pitching matchups the rest of the way so hopefully we can take 2 of 3.

MRKARNO
04-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Here's how I look at it:

I expect this team to win at least one game in new york. If they got swept in 4, i'd be pissed. If we split, I'd be happy and count that as a mental victory for us. 3-3 coming home would be just fine. If we took the next 3 I would be extremely happy, but it wont happen, so I wont even think about it.

I would like to see us go at worst 3-4 vs the yanks and would be happy with 4-3 or better

batmanZoSo
04-08-2004, 10:38 PM

We got Garland going tomorrow and Buehrle finishing it. We should aim for those to be our two wins. One of them has to be a win, you can't get swept in four. If only one of the two wins, then our bats have got to win a game for us.

.500 trip is golden. Then you play .600 ball at home. We've been pretty good at home the last few years, so to me the big key is not playing our trademark corpseball on the road.

Shoeless Joe
04-08-2004, 10:47 PM

At the rate Detroit is winning we can't lose another game this season! But considering that the Sox are facing a makeshift all-star team right now then I would welcome a 3-3 record with open arms.

SoxxoS
04-08-2004, 11:06 PM
IIRC, Wright relieved Cotts in the first at Yankee Stadium and pitched brilliantly for 5 innings...maybe he likes pitching in the Bronx...

SoxxoS
04-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
the Sox are facing a makeshift all-star team right now then I would welcome a 3-3 record with open arms.

A makeshift All-Star team doesn't have Enrique Wilson or Miguel Cairo on it!

Corlose 15
04-08-2004, 11:17 PM
You guys don't think we can hit the amazing Donovan Osborne and his career 5.76 era on saturday?

I'd say him vs Wright is a winnable game.

scottyl
04-08-2004, 11:44 PM
We've played well against the Yankees in past years. 3-3 is very respectable considering that you're being asked to play 4 in a row in NY in the midst of the home opener / A-Rod hoopla. I'm optimistic.

chisoxmike
04-09-2004, 12:32 AM
I would love it if we got home 3-3!

I would then expect the Sox fans on Tuesday to give them a VERY warm and loud ovation when they take the field. I will be the first one up in sec 114!

I predicted 13-9 when I look at the May 1st standings. Where that puts us, who knows.

pudge
04-09-2004, 03:16 AM
The funny thing is, if we didn't blow that first game, 3-3 would sound mediocre, but right now, 3-3 sounds like a miracle. I would love 3-3. I'm thinking 2-4 or 1-5 more likely.

Railsplitter
04-09-2004, 08:10 AM
3-3 will be fine. Play .500 on the road and win 50 at home make a 91 win season.

jabrch
04-09-2004, 09:35 AM
3-3 - I'd be thrilled. To play 4 in NYY and 2 @ KC and come out .500 is excellent. Does anyone think that Minn, Detroit, Cleve, will go .500 in KC and NYY? Will KC go .500 vs NYY and us?

Nope - I would be content to open the season at .500 after 6 games, provided we play good baseball.

harwar
04-09-2004, 10:20 AM
I'd be ecstatic if we could just come away from new york with a split.I fear we'll be lucky to win even one game.

34 Inch Stick
04-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Has insanity set in on this board. Both Contreras and Osborn are very beatable. I expect Garland to have an excellent start today. Wright will be able to match Osborn. Then its Mussina v. Buhrle.

It is the Yankees who should be doubting themselves. They have not hit very well against very poor pitching. Yesterday we ran into a very good pitcher on top of his game. There is not shame in that.

MRKARNO
04-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Well I'm a strong believer that Contreras is going to be nothing short of dominant this year, but I'm kind of alone on that one on this board. That being said, he still should be beatable. Garland should be able to give the White Sox their fourth Quality Start in four games and it's just an issue of putting more than 2 or 3 runs on the board.

As far as the WRight game, I believe that we're going to see Jorge de Paula and not Osbourne, but that doesn't change the fact that that's a very winnable game as long as Wright pitches decently.

As far as Mussina goes, he has already pitched two starts against the D-rays and lost both of them. He seems to be off right now. Buehrle is gonna be so ready for this game because he's wanted to pitch in the bronx for so long. No reason to say this game isn't winnable. In fact it's quite winnable.

The first game was the only real huge pitching mismatch in this series. I think we can go out there and take 2 of the next 3, but I would not cry over taking only 1. 3-3 coming home would put us in a very good position based on the quality of opponents that we have faced.

Procol Harum
04-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Coming home at 3-3 out of NY after that hideous opening day? That'd be fine, fine in my book. But, I'm afraid that 2-4 will probably be much more of a likelihood.

oldcomiskey
04-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by DMarte708
I would have no problem with a 3-3 record.

Tomorrows matchup of Jon Garland vs. Jose Contreras remains the game which presents the greatest challenge for the Sox.

Contreras line against the Sox last season:
1-0, 0.00 in 2003 vs. CHI

in how many innings

wdelaney72
04-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
3-3 will be fine. Play .500 on the road and win 50 at home make a 91 win season.

My thoughts exactly!

Shoeless Joe
04-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well I'm a strong believer that Contreras is going to be nothing short of dominant this year, but I'm kind of alone on that one on this board.

No you're not alone on that sentiment. I also believe that he's going to have one heck of a season. However, the Sox can beat even the best of them with their lineup. So beating Contreras shouldn't be too outrageous. In fact it's the Osbourne match up that is bugging me. How many times have we seen the Sox suck it up while going against a pitcher they should beat?

Foulke You
04-09-2004, 03:44 PM
After how horrible we were on the road last year, I would take a 3-3 start considering 4 were against the Yanks in their house.

Whitesox029
04-09-2004, 03:49 PM
I would settle for 3-3 considering our record coming home last year. I would prefer 4-2 of course, but you can't have everything--sunday is going to be Mussina vs. Wright so we'd better win these next two.

Lip Man 1
04-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Didn't Osbourne pitch today? Obviously the Yanks have changed their pitching plans.

Lip

WinningUgly!
04-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Didn't Osbourne pitch today? Obviously the Yanks have changed their pitching plans.

Lip

RHP Jorge DePaula will the start for the Yankees Saturday. The Yankees figured the Sox had too many righthanded bats in the lineup to start Osbourne.

Mohoney
04-09-2004, 10:35 PM
.500 ball on the road would work for me. Last year, we only won 35 road games. If we would have been a .500 road team last year, we would have won the division.

Splitting in K.C. and splitting in N. Y. would be fine by me. I thought we would win both in K. C. and only win 1 in the Bronx and come home 3-3.

Either way, it works. If we can win 5 games in K.C., 5 in Minnesota, and another 30 against everybody else on the road, we should win this division, because I'm assuming another 50+ wins at the Cell this year.

SSN721
04-10-2004, 10:35 AM
I guess I got really greedy after yesterdays win but now I really want to see the Sox take the rest of the games against the Yanks for this weekend, but if they split the next two I am still pretty happy with this road trip. They were perfectly capable of winning every game so far this year so coming out .500 in relatively close games against good opponents I am okay with. But if we could take the next two agains the Yanks that would be such an emotional boost for the lineup and for the pitching staff. To be able to hold the Yankees lineup to 6 runs so far isnt too bad at all in my book, if we can keep them at 3 runs a game I think we can easily slug out 1 or 2 more against them.

soxwon
04-11-2004, 12:39 AM
i really think we can win sunday, what do you think?
our offense is so explosive

DSpivack
04-11-2004, 01:57 AM
i really think we can win sunday, what do you think?
our offense is so explosive

I am less worried about Mussina and more worried about Wright.

Our offense is good, theirs is better- it doesn't seem that way now, but time will balance it out.

StillMissOzzie
04-11-2004, 02:12 AM
I think that if you asked anyone before the season started, a 3-3 road trip would have been fine, especially knowing that Schowenweis & Wright would be starters in NY. Now, after 2 wins so far in NY, 3-3 is a worst case scenario! If Wright can continue the excellent starting we've seen so far, a 4-2 start going into the Home Opener would be fantastic!

SMO
:gulp: