PDA

View Full Version : Schoeneweis = Not Bad

thezeker
04-08-2004, 05:31 PM
After all the handwringing we have been doing regarding Schoeneweis, and this start in particular, I would have to say he looked OK. Considering the caliber of the lineup he was facing 3 runs in 6 innings is a quality start. He kept us where we needed to be. He just got outpitched.

Take away that first inning, which could be Yankee Stadium opening day jitters, and it was a very good performance. Maybe, just maybe, this guy will be an acceptable alternative.

If Garland pitches well tomorrow that would be 4 quality starts in 4 games. Any way you look at it that bodes well for the future.

Despite our 1-2 start I feel very positive about this team and this season!!!!

:cool: :cool:

DMarte708
04-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Schoenweis pitched better then I expected, but his line (6IP, 3 ER) doesn't do justice to how hard the Yanks were hitting him. I missed the 1 Sox error, but for most of the game the defense was stellar. Joe Crede ended the first inning with a spectacular play which would of yielded a few runs and Maggs made a nice catch later in the game.

I'll personally wait another two starts to see if Schoe could replicate today's performance. 3ER is what we should expect from our fourth starter.

habibharu
04-08-2004, 05:56 PM
scho was not bad at all. its just that vazquez was better. we should realisitcally be able to win 2 out of 3 if not all three. i am not at all impressed by the yanks so far

petekat
04-08-2004, 05:58 PM
totally agree- if he puts quality starts like this outing, he should be good for 180 IP and 12-14 wins, depending on run support. with schoeny, it does seem that location is key. He got tagged pretty hard at times, but most stayed within the park.

Rocklive99
04-08-2004, 06:03 PM
I don't think he did bad either. I mean, in the early innings, he got a grand total of 0 calls, so his choices were throwing balls or throwing it straight down the middle. His walks got him in a little bit of trouble, but I was happy with getting out of that disaster inning with only a couple runs (a little knubber/swinging bunt and a sac fly). He seemed to settle in later too. I guess the one big mistake was the pitch to Posada.

batmanZoSo
04-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
I don't think he did bad either. I mean, in the early innings, he got a grand total of 0 calls, so his choices were throwing balls or throwing it straight down the middle. His walks got him in a little bit of trouble, but I was happy with getting out of that disaster inning with only a couple runs (a little knubber/swinging bunt and a sac fly). He seemed to settle in later too. I guess the one big mistake was the pitch to Posada.

We haven't gotten a break all year with pitch calls.

If he pitches 180 innings with a 4.5 era, he's done his job. It's up to the hitters then.

infohawk
04-08-2004, 06:21 PM
On balance I believe that Schoenweiss had an adequate outing. I'm somewhat concerned about the four walks in six innings. Admittedly, I was listening to the radio broadcast which makes it difficult to know by how much his pitches were missing. It sounded as if the umpires were squeezing him a bit. The Sox seemed to get a break early on when the Yankees couldn't capitalize on RBI opportunities. I was impressed, however, that Schoenweiss appeared to settle in and take control of the game. I agree with the earlier poster who suggested that all we really need out of Schoenweiss is about a 4.50 era. Hopefully, he won't be prone to the "big" inning during his starts.

crector
04-08-2004, 06:21 PM
4.50 ERA for Scott S. isn't bad at all.

Now if he can only get some offensive support.................

doublem23
04-08-2004, 06:55 PM
I didn't get a chance to watch the whole game, but the part I did watch, it seemed like he was getting pretty badly squeezed, too. You know, if he can go out there and hold the opposition to 3 runs and go 6-7 innings, I think he'll be fine. I still would like to see him work out of the bullpen, but I won't complain that much if he can have outings like this.

chaerulez
04-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Even though he didn't do half bad today, I still think Schoenweiss is going to get rocked hard this season.

Daver
04-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by chaerulez
Even though he didn't do half bad today, I still think Schoenweiss is going to get rocked hard this season.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Kuzman
04-08-2004, 07:47 PM
he looked great until something happened, error, hit, walk etc. after something other then him getting an out happened he kinda just started to fall apart..

soxfan26
04-08-2004, 07:55 PM
His performance today will do. Scoeneweis wasn't the biggest flop in his 1st start, who knew?

Dadawg_77
04-08-2004, 08:05 PM
He got lucky today, some hard hit balls were right at people. He could have been knock out in the first or second inning. Give the quality of hitter he faced though, that is good for a fifth or fourth guy, which Schoeneweis is. Hopefully with a less potent lineup and better umps, he doesn't walk as many people.

MRKARNO
04-08-2004, 08:09 PM
If Schoenweis sustains this level of performance, it will be considered adequate enough for me to remove the Schoe's foes pic. Lemme see one more Quality start.

iwannago
04-08-2004, 08:25 PM
I hope Schoeneweis will do well, if he was good I don't think the Angels would have given him up so easily. (Glover and some minor leaguers)

hold2dibber
04-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
I hope Schoeneweis will do well, if he was good I don't think the Angels would have given him up so easily. (Glover and some minor leaguers)

I agree that Schoenweiss isn't that great, but your reasoning is way off base. The Pirates apparently didn't think too much of Marte and he has turned into the best left handed reliever in the AL the last two years. Teams are wrong about players all the time.

MRKARNO
04-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I agree that Schoenweiss isn't that great, but your reasoning is way off base. The Pirates apparently didn't think too much of Marte and he has turned into the best left handed reliever in the AL the last two years. Teams are wrong about players all the time.

The Blue Jays were pretty eager to give up on Loaiza

iwannago
04-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Check out the current Pirate and Blue Jay situation. Two teams going nowhere. Even the Pirates got the better of the Sox with the Wells trade.

I've been a big fan for many years bad trades happened 40 years age. (callison, Cash, Battey, Pierce, Romano, Aparicio) Maybe you don't remember.

mann
04-08-2004, 10:49 PM
This was a great start considering the circumstances. If he was half as nervous as I was in the first than it's a wonder he got a pitch over the plate. Incredibly, it was defense that bailed him out of that situation (go joe). It was a better start by V, though. I like to think that the hitters can't be dominated so completely by anyone, but it happens more often than I'd like.

Daver
04-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by mann
This was a great start considering the circumstances. If he was half as nervous as I was in the first than it's a wonder he got a pitch over the plate. Incredibly, it was defense that bailed him out of that situation (go joe). It was a better start by V, though. I like to think that the hitters can't be dominated so completely by anyone, but it happens more often than I'd like.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Railsplitter
04-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Let's hope Schoe doesn't become like Joel Horlen: the guy most likely to be on the wrong end of a 2-1 score.

mweflen
04-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Schoney looked utterly terrible for two innings, then seemed to pull it together for 4 more.

I would not go so far as to say "more starts like this would be fine" though. Loading the bases in two consecutive innings is NOT going to do. Schoney got lucky. If we had been facing a more locked-in Yankees lineup later in the year, at least 4 of those 6 baserunners would have scored.

(ugh, flashback of the Foulke meltdown.... shudder... )

On the good side, he went a lot farther into the game than I expected.

If he cuts out the 4-pitch walks and constant jams, he may just be passable!

I'd still rather see Neal Cotts in the role, though!

flo-B-flo
04-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Once again thanks to the only Sox fans I trust to give me the 411 about the game. I had to work and I missed the whole game. I watched ESPN and as usual it was yanker central. Again, thanks to everyone here at WSI. GO-GO Sox!! :gulp:

owensmouth
04-09-2004, 07:07 AM
Once Shoe got his sea legs, he matched up darn well with Vasquez.

In those first two innings he showed that he could work his way out of trouble. Two runs, but it could have been soooo much worse...

After that he went four more, giving up only one run. That's good. If he can continue at that level, we got ourselves a pitcher.

And how about Adkins? He had no problem at all.

And I liked Ozzie bring in Cotts when he did. Cotts looked a little shakey at first, then settled down.

Maybe, just maybe, we have a better pitching staff than we thought.