PDA

View Full Version : Is Detroit for real?

HomeFish
04-08-2004, 04:38 PM
After being down to the Twins early in the game, the Tigers have come back with a 4-run sixth, a 5-run seventh, and currently have scored one run with one on and one out in the eight, leading Minnesota 10-4.

If this continues, they will now be 4-0, leading the AL Central and joining Anaheim and Milwaukee as the only undefeated teams left in baseball.

Should we be worried? We've done poorly against the Tigers the past few years. Could it now get worse?

Oh, and somebody named "G. Norton" is now batting for Detroit with first and third. Is this who I think it is?

HomeFish
04-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Greg Norton grounds into a double play. Ah, the memories...

ChiSox7
04-08-2004, 04:40 PM
We can't beat them when they suck, maybe we can beat them when they are half way decent. I think they'll far much farther and harder than KC did last year tho.

CHISOXFAN13
04-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
After being down to the Twins early in the game, the Tigers have come back with a 4-run sixth, a 5-run seventh, and currently have scored one run with one on and one out in the eight, leading Minnesota 10-4.

If this continues, they will now be 4-0, leading the AL Central and joining Anaheim and Milwaukee as the only undefeated teams left in baseball.

Should we be worried? We've done poorly against the Tigers the past few years. Could it now get worse?

Oh, and somebody named "G. Norton" is now batting for Detroit with first and third. Is this who I think it is?

The Brew Crew is 3-1. Lost yesterday.

And no, I don't think Detroit is for real. At best, they get on a streak like KC did last seasona nd falter in the second half.

StepsInSC
04-08-2004, 04:41 PM

I took the liberty of answering your question by modifying your post.

And yes, G. Norton is the one and only Greg Norton.

poorme
04-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Detroit is definitely better. They should win about 70 or so. But since we sucked against them last year, does it really matter?

PINWHEELS
04-08-2004, 04:44 PM
I Do think that they are for real. I'm also wathing this game and they remind me of last years royals.

SoxxoS
04-08-2004, 04:45 PM
It's all about pitching/bullpen. The Tigers don't have neither. They won 4 straight last year I believe...this is just at a different time.

They are much improved, though. IROD obviously does wonders to a ballclub.

pudge
04-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Hey let them be hot now, we don't face them until the end of the season, right? They always beat us up at the start of the year in the past...

BTW, who else thinks KC blows? That first loss is still hurting, especially since we're going to get crushed in NY... Maybe we can sweep the Royals at home next week.

poorme
04-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Imagine IRod batting #2 for us..... :gulp:

KingXerxes
04-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
It's all about pitching/bullpen. The Tigers don't have neither. They won 4 straight last year I believe...this is just at a different time.

They are much improved, though. IROD obviously does wonders to a ballclub.

It's not just Ivan Rodriguez. They've upgraded at a bunch of positions offensively. If their pitching matures, and keep in mind the pitching was the cornerstone of their rebuilding efforts, they may surprise people.

SoxxoS
04-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
It's not just Ivan Rodriguez. They've upgraded at a bunch of positions offensively. If their pitching matures, and keep in mind the pitching was the cornerstone of their rebuilding efforts, they may surprise people.

A. Sanchez, CF
F. Vina, 2B
I. Rodriguez, C
R. White, DH
C. Pena, 1B
C. Guillen, SS
B. Higginson, RF
C. Monroe, LF
E. Munson, 3B

4 of those hitters have over 1.000 OPS right now.

I don't think that is going to last too long. Expect a 20 win improvement, a 65-70 win season. That would be great for them.

SEALgep
04-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Detroit is definitely better. They should win about 70 or so. But since we sucked against them last year, does it really matter? Probably works to our advantage if they start beating up the other guys in the division as well.

KingXerxes
04-08-2004, 04:58 PM
SoxxoS - What is this "40 games that matter" thing?

Did Harrelson say something recently that I missed?

I have Detroit for 75 wins, and that would be a very big turnaround.

SoxxoS
04-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Soxxos - What is this "40 games that matter" thing?

Did Harrelson say something recently that I missed?

I have Detroit for 75 wins, and that would be a very big turnaround.

Hawk said that teams will win 60 and lose 60, it's what you do in those 40 key games that count.

Games like the last two, where we blow a lead of 4 runs in the 9th, and come back the next day and hold the lead, are, IMO, part of the 40 "key" games. This game today, was not. Going into Yankee stadium with a big pitching disadvantage was not a game we were supposed to win. Chalk this one up as one of the "60 losses."

thepaulbowski
04-08-2004, 05:03 PM

And add to that playing in the AL Central, you can't count anybody in this divison out. Except maybe the Indians, who don't seem to have a remnants of a bullpen.

KingXerxes
04-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Hawk said that teams will win 60 and lose 60, it's what you do in those 40 key games that count.

Games like the last two, where we blow a lead of 4 runs in the 9th, and come back the next day and hold the lead, are, IMO, part of the 40 "key" games. This game today, was not. Going into Yankee stadium with a big pitching disadvantage was not a game we were supposed to win. Chalk this one up as one of the "60 losses."

Got ya.

Actually the first person I ever heard say that was Chuck Tanner in the early 70's.

doublem23
04-08-2004, 06:56 PM
they may surprise people.

Like half the people around here, fretting the Tigers for Christ sake, when they sink like a rock.

The_Floridian
04-08-2004, 07:03 PM
The Tigers should be a factor early on, but they will fade as the season goes on (as will the Royals) due to a lack of solid pitching. Teams with bad to mediocre pitching always fade as the season progresses.

The Tigers are about two years away from contention. Maybe one if they make some smart moves this offseason.

scottyl
04-09-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
And add to that playing in the AL Central, you can't count anybody in this divison out. Except maybe the Indians, who don't seem to have a remnants of a bullpen.

It should go without saying, but if the Tigers' early success signals anything it is that NO game in the central should be taken for granted. Though last year's Tigers games should have proved that...

The central doesn't have a dominant team, and the "bad" teams are good enough to be annoying--or worst case--spoilers.

ihatethecubs
04-09-2004, 02:55 AM
remember the 2002 cleveland indians? they started like 9-0 and then sucked the rest of the season

soxfan26
04-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Is Detroit for Real?

No.

jabrch
04-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Not even close to real. This pitching staff is brutal - it won't last once the weather warms up.

Come June - the Tigers will be back in 5th place.

StillMissOzzie
04-10-2004, 12:39 AM

I've heard this old bromide in various & sundry forms over the years, too. A/K/A "Win 1/3, lose 1/3...what you do with the middle 1/3..." where 1/3 = 54 games. The problem is, you can only tell in retrospect what a given game was. A victory may be one of the "40 key" / middle 1/3 or it may be one of the ones you'd win anyway. Of course, if your division rivals beat you too many times it won't matter anyhow.

SMO
:gulp:

Thunderstruck30
04-10-2004, 12:50 AM
No Detroit isnt for real. But if they win 75 games, Pudge should win MVP.

Foulke You
04-10-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
remember the 2002 cleveland indians? they started like 9-0 and then sucked the rest of the season

Yep. I was thinking the same thing. They came into Comiskey Park 11W-1L thumping their chests and ESPN guys saying they were for real and the rest of the AL Central better "look out" because the Indians are still good. Then the White Sox swept them right out of town and the Indians went into a huge tailspin and finished under .500

I'm not worried about Detroit...yet. We'll see how they're doing at the end of April. Right now, does anyone think Detroit and Milwaukee are going to be major players when the dust settles? Didn't think so.

red faber
04-10-2004, 04:09 AM

of course they aren't serious!!!!!!!!

teams don't just go from damn near breaking records for futility to becoming a ligit contender in one year!!!!!

they will win 65 games...