PDA

View Full Version : Valentin is Perfect Against Lefties

poorme
04-08-2004, 10:55 AM
6 AB's, 6 K's. How long will this experiment go on?

CHISOXFAN13
04-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by poorme

You seriously want him to go back to hitting right-handed. It worked in sprong training, so let's give it more than a six AB sample size before we start clamoring for his .118 right handed batting average again.

poorme
04-08-2004, 11:02 AM
No, actually I'd rather have him platoon with someone.

SSN721
04-08-2004, 11:03 AM
I completely agree, I would rather he tried this for at least 15-20 games and make sure he cant hit lefties before we switch back to his abysmal average on the other side. I hope that he will come around since it seemed to work in ST. :?:

SSN721
04-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Completely agree with post #2 I mean, sorry I should have thrown a quote in my first post.

A. Cavatica
04-08-2004, 11:05 AM
No! We want him to ride the bench against lefties.

SEALgep
04-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Valentin had some good cuts yesterday that just go pulled foul. He did put level swings on the ball. He's just going to need a little time to adjust against the lefties.

CHISOXFAN13
04-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica

I guess you expect Harris to fare better against lefties?

santo=dorf
04-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by poorme

Keep an eye on my sig. :smile:

CubKilla
04-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica

So we can put that vaunted big stick of Willie Harris into the line-up.

2 games and everyone is ready for drastic changes.

sas1974
04-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Valentin had some good cuts yesterday that just go pulled foul. He did put level swings on the ball. He's just going to need a little time to adjust against the lefties.

I agree. I actually think he just needs to get going period. Once he gets going, I don't think it is going to matter what arm the pitcher is using to throw the ball.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Those who want Valentin to go back to switch hitting sound like "tinkerers" to me! It's only been two games and there are 160 more to go so relax.

:jerry
"Did someone say my name?"

kermittheefrog
04-08-2004, 04:58 PM
I miss Tony Graffanino already.

SoxxoS
04-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Is there anything better than a 5 million per platoon player?

chaerulez
04-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Makes me wonder what move was worse...

1. Picking up Valentin's option at a greatly overpriced 5 million a year.
2. Not resigning Tony G, who probably could be a more useful everyday player than Valentin.
3. Or not having a 2B, fifth starter, or middle relief.

Blueprint1
04-08-2004, 07:01 PM
I think that he should be moved out of the #2 spot for sure against leftys. They should move Rowand or Lee up into the #2 spot. The 1&2 hitters are not getting on base at all.

infohawk
04-08-2004, 07:53 PM
I've always thought that Valentin's offensive contribution to the team is the fact that he is a primarily left-handed hitter with a relatively high slugging percentage. This is the context within which I evaluate his success or failure. Jose has never been the kind of player who hits for average or delivers a high on-base percentage. We are setting unrealistic expectations of him if we expect that, at 34 years of age, he will defy his past performance trends with regard to hitting for average and OBP. The good news is that when Jose gets a hit, it seems as if it is for a double or better. In this respect he has some offensive value. Jose also plays with the kind of intensity you want from a team leader.

That being said, the Sox definitely overpaid (5 million for 2004) for what offensive contributions Valentin offers a team. In their defense, this last offseason was a "demand" versus "supply" offseason for highly-skilled "toolsy" shortstops. There just weren't too many viable options that didn't also carry some downside. The devil you know might be better than the devil you don't know. Obviously, Tejada was not an option for the budget-conscious Sox. I believe Jose's contract is for only one-year, which was a good move by the Sox.

Jose will improve as the season unfolds. I really believe that the key to watch with him is his slugging percentage. His batting average also needs to be somewhere between .240 and .260 for his slugging percentage to benefit the team. Two out of the past three games he was facing lefties, which is difficult for him. If he doesn't improve against lefties, Ozzie should give serious consideration to platooning him with Uribe.

Daver
04-08-2004, 07:55 PM
The Sox did not sign Jose to a one year 5 mil contract,they picked up the option year of his current contract.

infohawk
04-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Yeah, you're right Daver. It was an option year. In any event, the Sox will be able to reevaluate their options at short after the season.

Its great to be able to interact with so many Sox fans on this board! I grew up in Oak Lawn but now live is central Illinois. It seems that everyone is either a Cardinal or Cub fan down here. There's really no dislike towards the Sox or Sox fans here, we're just considered irrelevant!!!