PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Righties

owensmouth
04-08-2004, 11:48 AM
I have read in several posts that our hitters should do much better because the Yankee pitchers are right handers.

While that may be true for our first and second batters (Harris and Valentin) for most of the others it's a problem. The one exception might be Carlos Lee, who last year did much better against right handed pitching.

I wonder if Ozzie might consider starting Ross Gload at first today to take advantage of an additional left handed bat.

Randar68
04-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
I have read in several posts that our hitters should do much better because the Yankee pitchers are right handers.

While that may be true for our first and second batters (Harris and Valentin) for most of the others it's a problem. The one exception might be Carlos Lee, who last year did much better against right handed pitching.

I wonder if Ozzie might consider starting Ross Gload at first today to take advantage of an additional left handed bat.

Konerko has actually had about even numbers vs both righties and lefties throughout his career, and the last time I looked, he had a higher career average and slg% versus righties than lefties.

poorme
04-08-2004, 11:57 AM
It would be nice to see Gload get some playing time here and there.

SEALgep
04-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by poorme
It would be nice to see Gload get some playing time here and there. For sure, but PK is going good right now, and I don't want to mess with that when the season just started. He'll get his rest, and Gload will play and get his at bats. Just not Opening Day at Yankee stadium.

DSpivack
04-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Am I wrong to see Gload as about as good as Daubach? Hopefully Gload will actually get ABs.

SEALgep
04-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Am I wrong to see Gload as about as good as Daubach? Hopefully Gload will actually get ABs. I think he will be way better than Daubach, at least with how he was with us. IMO, Gload looks like he puts a more level swing on the ball than Brian. I'm excited that we have him.

wdelaney72
04-08-2004, 01:19 PM
If not today, Gload will start one of the other games of the series.

Man Soo Lee
04-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Konerko has actually had about even numbers vs both righties and lefties throughout his career, and the last time I looked, he had a higher career average and slg% versus righties than lefties.

Career vs. lefties: .305/.351/.499
Career vs. righties: .271/.339/.462

Last season killed his numbers vs. righties, but he'd been pretty even before then.

Dadawg_77
04-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Man Soo Lee
Career vs. lefties: .305/.351/.499
Career vs. righties: .271/.339/.462

Last season killed his numbers vs. righties, but he'd been pretty even before then.

Paul can hit fastballs from righties but has a tough time picking up breaking stuff from them.