PDA

View Full Version : Twins lose Joe Maurer.

fuzzy_patters
04-08-2004, 10:27 AM
An MRI exam Wednesday morning revealed that Mauer has a torn medial meniscus cartilage in his left knee. It will require arthroscopic surgery and he is expected to miss up to a month.

In the top of the third inning against Cleveland Tuesday, Mauer ran behind the plate on Coco Crisp's foul pop up. The 20-year-old said his shin guard got caught as he slid across the Metrodome's new rubber warning track.

"I've talked to some of the guys and they've had it done and they came back pretty quick," Mauer said. "I might be a little longer because of my position. I just want to make sure I get it done right."

"I'm sure (doctors) will do the right thing and think about his career down the road," Gardenhire said.

A catcher with bad knees is useless. It will be interesting to see if he can catch without pain after the surgery.

Randar68
04-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
A catcher with bad knees is useless. It will be interesting to see if he can catch without pain after the surgery.

As long as he doesn't rush it, he will be fine. The severity of the tear/fraying will not be known until the procedure is actually done, so more will be known following the surgery.

This is FAR less severe than most knee injuries and many catchers have had long careers after worse. Besides, he's enough of an athlete to play just about anywhere on the field...

Hangar18
04-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Could this be the basball gods Cursing the Twins for shunning
The "Gift" bestowed upon them of Mark Prior??? Instead of showing their Gratitude, they instead took the "local boy" under the guise they couldnt "afford" him and Forever altering the baseball landscape by letting him fall to the flubbys

fhqwhgads
04-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The "Gift" bestowed upon them of Mark Prior??? Instead of showing their Gratitude, they instead took the "local boy" under the guise they couldnt "afford" him and Forever altering the baseball landscape by letting him fall to the flubbys

sas1974
04-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads

They need to add that image to the tags folder. That sign would get A LOT of air play around here. Darn I say more than the "This Thread Sucks" guy....

Hangar18
04-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Hey Fgearesasdaos, thats pretty funny :smile:

but remember.......the baseball gods have a sense of humor too.
Ask cub fans heh heh

Randar68
04-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
They need to add that image to the tags folder. That sign would get A LOT of air play around here. Darn I say more than the "This Thread Sucks" guy....

I also think they need to add the "Cluepon"

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=216516

TaylorStSox
04-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

I still say picking Mauer was a better move. I'd rather have a hometown phenom catcher who will play with pride and probably resign when the time is right than have a primadonna pitching stud from Cali. who's going to bolt the first chance he gets. (longest sentence ever.)

owensmouth
04-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Is that new surface costing the Twins? The past three days I kept reading and/or hearing about Minnesota injuries? The old one was bad enough, but this new surface sounds deadly.

SEALgep
04-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Is that new surface costing the Twins? The past three days I kept reading and/or hearing about Minnesota injuries? The old one was bad enough, but this new surface sounds deadly. Just a stroke of bad luck. Or good luck depending what side of the fence you're on.