PDA

View Full Version : Mariotti Plays Fast & Loose w/ Sox Truth Again

joecrede
04-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Listening to Mariotti this morning and he had a contest giving away Sox opener tickets. He precedes to say "plenty of tickets available", emphasis on plenty.

So I checked out Ticketmaster and found the best two available were in section 508 row 17. Yeah, 300 or less tickets constitutes "plenty".

No revelation here I guess, just another example of Mariotti not checking his facts.

DMarte708
04-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Very frustrating to hear these comments. Mariotti is going nuts on his show:

"Don't call the White Sox and defend their payroll, you'll have a fight on your hands."

"Why is it contract negotations always break down with the Sox!"

fledgedrallycap
04-08-2004, 11:27 AM
"I'm sick of this team and the way they do business"

He just finds something wrong with everything, even bashing the Sox for the Comiskey statue. I realize there is a thing called freedom of speech and there is plenty of material to criticize our beloved Sox, but that pud just goes too far and I don't blame JR for being upset with his that moron's hiring.

Randar68
04-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
"I'm sick of this team and the way they do business"

He just finds something wrong with everything, even bashing the Sox for the Comiskey statue. I realize there is a thing called freedom of speech and there is plenty of material to criticize our beloved Sox, but that pud just goes too far and I don't blame JR for being upset with his that moron's hiring.

He was hired to do just this and his vendetta vs. JR is about all he EVER has to talk about when the Cubs lose. So why are you listening, again?

fledgedrallycap
04-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
He was hired to do just this and his vendetta vs. JR is about all he EVER has to talk about when the Cubs lose. So why are you listening, again?

Entertainment value, plus it's on in the office and it's kind of hard to tune out.

samram
04-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Hearing all this about Mariotti makes me happy that I have a buffer zone from the Chicago media down here. Most people here have probably never heard of the Sox, but they don't have anything against them either.
It would be nice if there were some media members in Chicago that would have a more negative attitude toward the Cubs just to even things out. Mariotti and Rosenbloom drove me crazy when I was still there. Rosenbloom just loves the term "Chairman Reinsdorf" and he comes up with one joke a week about the Sox and can't wait to tell it four hundred times on his radio show Saturday mornings. Meanwhile, his company's team had bottom five records in 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2002, and nary a joke to be told about that.

Irishsox1
04-08-2004, 11:43 AM
I've ignored this hack of a writer for years. His writing style is that of a brain damaged sports fan lacking insight. He pulls his finger out of his butt, licks it, sticks it up in the air, determines what everyone else is doing and then goes with that. Ignore him.

Over By There
04-08-2004, 12:14 PM
I've only caught his show a few times since he came on, but after Tuesday morning's show, I vowed never again. He is a buffoon. Clearly goes out of his way to slam the Sox every chance he gets. I had to turn it off because I was sick of him telling me how worried I should be as a Sox fan.

I'm an avid ESPN listener, always have it on when I have a chance, but I'll be finding something else to listen to between 9:00 - 11:00 from now on. Fans, if you don't like him and his show, best thing to do is ignore him - turn off the radio. There have already been rumblings that his ratings suck anyway.

CubKilla
04-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by DMarte708
Very frustrating to hear these comments. Mariotti is going nuts on his show:

"Don't call the White Sox and defend their payroll, you'll have a fight on your hands."

"Why is it contract negotations always break down with the Sox!"

Moronotti makes a few good points here. I don't see a problem with these comments other than JR wouldn't have the ***** to fight w/a Sox fan over his abysmal '04 payroll. He'll leave that to his GM.

SEALgep
04-08-2004, 12:25 PM
I switched over to 670 during that time slot, but even they are morons a lot of the time. One of them, the other gets it, is freaking out that the Sox are splitting up the lefties even though part of the reason is to split up the guys (Schoney and Wright) who may need more bullpen help.

SEALgep
04-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Moronotti makes a few good points here. I don't see a problem with these comments other than JR wouldn't have the ***** to fight w/a Sox fan over his abysmal '04 payroll. He'll leave that to his GM. But he doesn't get his facts straight. He is all upset that the Sox haven't extended Maggs yet, when the Sox have made numerous attempts to get a deal going. He won't mention that though.

CubKilla
04-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
But he doesn't get his facts straight. He is all upset that the Sox haven't extended Maggs yet, when the Sox have made numerous attempts to get a deal going. He won't mention that though.

Trust me when I say that any "attempt" made by the Sox Organization to resign Maggs would be a sham just like the "fair" contract offered to Colon last offseason.

Maggs will go to the highest bidder in '04-'05 IF he isn't bartered off in a mid-season firesale that the Sox Organization will sell to Sox fans as good for the future of the Chicago White Sox.

pearso66
04-08-2004, 01:02 PM
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the Sox offering Colon a 3 year 13 mil a year deal? how is that not fair? I'm glad they didn't offer him more than he got from Aneheim. If we did, and he sucked, it would just fuel more fire to the "he was overpaid and KW is a moron" fight.

SEALgep
04-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the Sox offering Colon a 3 year 13 mil a year deal? how is that not fair? I'm glad they didn't offer him more than he got from Aneheim. If we did, and he sucked, it would just fuel more fire to the "he was overpaid and KW is a moron" fight. People thought we were crazy to offer what we did. Anaheim just went far and beyond what his value was. It may work out for them in the long haul, but I'm glad we didn't raise the stakes.

chuckn98229
04-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Boomer was right when he called Moronotti 'KB'!

CubKilla
04-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
People thought we were crazy to offer what we did. Anaheim just went far and beyond what his value was. It may work out for them in the long haul, but I'm glad we didn't raise the stakes.

It was reported later on that the contract was heavily incentive based with deferments. I'm sure Lip still has the Daily Southtown (?) article that blew all of the White Sox propaganda out of the water.

pearso66
04-08-2004, 01:19 PM
I have no problems with a lot of incentives in a contract. I feel a player shoudl haev to earn his pay anyway. And there have been many arguments around here about deferments. He's getting the money anyway. I have no problem with the offer they gave him, not that it mattered anyway because he wouldnt have signed with us anyway unless we went over Aneheim's offer which was way too much.