PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts 4.8.04


Hangar18
04-08-2004, 09:45 AM
I was out last nite, entertaining a guy from our Louisville office,
and while out, we happened to note 6 guys watching the flubby game. This guy had never been to chicago proper, and loves the city already. I gave him a quick rundown on the differences between sox and cub fans. He said he heard there was a rivalry, and said he'd always "heard" cub fans were the smartest and most loyal. I laughed, and asked where did he hear that?
He said the papers always say that. I told him it couldnt be more FALSE. Over beers, I explained the way the Media hypes them for no reason, and how its created a "fan" base. I told him the fans were there to Drink and Party and Cheer when they think something "good" happens, like Lemmings. AND AMAZINGLY ENOUGH.........Patterson took a big SWING, and the
Cubbie group, one guy wiht the New Jacket (I spoke of him a few weeks ago) and the other lemmings, JUMPED OUT OF THEIR SEATS AND CHEERED a cub homerun, they were loud.
This guy and I heard them and watched as the ball ....s.oftly landed in the CF glove. I LAUGHED Loudly, and told my partner, told you so...........

Hangar18
04-08-2004, 10:03 AM
later on this same evening, the TV was showing a Red grounding out in his previous at-bat in real-time, and on cue
the Cubby fans CHeered loudly .........only to realize it was
a replay. I laughed and the guy I was with said "I know
what your talking about". thats the 2nd time ive witnessed that, "fans" cheering replays on the tv by accident :smile:
Totally made me feel like I knew what the heck i was talking about, saying how stupid those fans are, and him getting to Witness it right as I was talking about it.

Hokiesox
04-08-2004, 10:03 AM
So, Hangar, because I bought a new White Sox hat this year because my old one got warped when my wife thought it would be cool to wash it (not a pretty sight), does this mean I won't be a real sox fan for a year until the hat looks old and ratty again?

Hangar18
04-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
So, Hangar, because I bought a new White Sox hat this year because my old one got warped when my wife thought it would be cool to wash it (not a pretty sight), does this mean I won't be a real sox fan for a year until the hat looks old and ratty again?

nonsense. You know your a real fan

ewokpelts
04-08-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
So, Hangar, because I bought a new White Sox hat this year because my old one got warped when my wife thought it would be cool to wash it (not a pretty sight), does this mean I won't be a real sox fan for a year until the hat looks old and ratty again?

Henry's referring to Flub fans that get swept up in the hype. I think that by the mere fact that you explained yourself(a sign of free thinking and itelligence) that you havie nothing to worry about. Sides, you have to live in that hellhole that passes as our nation's capitol. Spread the Soxlove!
Gene

pearso66
04-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Unforunately it seems as though I have to get a new hat every year. I always buy fitted, and when they get too dirty, I wash them, well after taht they shrink, and give me migranes every time i wear them. Thats ok though, it just makes my Sox hat collection grow, and if someone needs one, i can gladly say, "I have an extra"

Hokiesox
04-08-2004, 01:19 PM
Yeah, that is the problem with them, is they shrink. Sucks, but, oh well. I try not to wash them, and my last one was 3 years old, but my wife (fiancee at the time) washed it without my knowledge. We almost broke up.

thepaulbowski
04-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Yeah, that is the problem with them, is they shrink. Sucks, but, oh well. I try not to wash them, and my last one was 3 years old, but my wife (fiancee at the time) washed it without my knowledge. We almost broke up.

My wife knows better than to touch my hats. Actually she only does touch them after, I wash them. Otherwise they are a hazardous product. :D:

kraut83
04-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Yeah, that is the problem with them, is they shrink. Sucks, but, oh well. I try not to wash them, and my last one was 3 years old, but my wife (fiancee at the time) washed it without my knowledge. We almost broke up.

Funny, my wife did the same thing to my Sox fitted a couple months ago as well. I had that thing for a few years and it fit perfect. Needless to say it doesn't anymore. It's been impossible to find a 7 1/2 out here so I had to go with one of those "franchise" hats from Lids. Comfy, but not the same.

KingXerxes
04-08-2004, 03:54 PM
I've noticed an annoying little thing that Farmer is starting to do this year in the radio booth.

:farmer

"Okay so that pitch sales wide making the count 1 and 2. Got him set up right now for a curveball low and outside, or a fastball, maybe even a circle change on the inner half, or a backdoor slider, or maybe that palmball he's been working on, or a forkball, or even a split-finger pitch."

:rooney

"Here's the pitch, it's a knuckleball which floats outside."

:farmer

"So that evens the count at 2 and 2, perfect spot for a blah blah blah blah blah."

Hondo
04-08-2004, 04:05 PM
KingX, I couldn't agree with you more.

He should just say

"This guys throws four pitches and he'll throw one of those somewhere in the general vicinity of the plate. Konerko should be aware of that with the count 2-2."

KingXerxes
04-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
KingX, I couldn't agree with you more.

He should just say

"This guys throws four pitches and he'll throw one of those somewhere in the general vicinity of the plate. Konerko should be aware of that with the count 2-2."

The weird thing about it is that if Farmer is predicting the next pitch, then predict the next pitch. He doesn't do that, he predicts a pitch - and then starts reciting every other possible alternative as some sort of strange "sub-prediction", and even then he is sometimes wrong.

I can just see him at a craps table:

:farmer

"Okay, I've got the two dice, when you've got one it's a die, two or more then it's dice. Now if I throw both of these dice - not dies - I will get a total of seven, or maybe six, or ten, or four, or two, or eleven, or nine, or eight, maybe three, five sometimes, and maybe even a twelve."

:rooney

"Just throw the dice Ed."

:farmer

"Look at that...two ones....YAHTZEE!"

DrummerGeorgefan
04-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Listening to the game today I too thought Farmer was trying to do his best Steve Stone and accurately predict what was gonna happen

cheeses_h_rice
04-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
The weird thing about it is that if Farmer is predicting the next pitch, then predict the next pitch. He doesn't do that, he predicts a pitch - and then starts reciting every other possible alternative as some sort of strange "sub-prediction", and even then he is sometimes wrong.

I can just see him at a craps table:

:farmer

"Okay, I've got the two dice, when you've got one it's a die, two or more then it's dice. Now if I throw both of these dice - not dies - I will get a total of seven, or maybe six, or ten, or four, or two, or eleven, or nine, or eight, maybe three, five sometimes, and maybe even a twelve."

:rooney

"Just throw the dice Ed."

:farmer

"Look at that...two ones....YAHTZEE!"

*****!!!

Classic.

kittle42
04-08-2004, 09:27 PM
You'd be proud, Henry. I was out in Wrigleyville last night with my Sox uniform on. Found a few compatriots.

StillMissOzzie
04-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Nobody does Farmer better than you, KingX!!!

LMAO - Again!

SMO
:D:

hose
04-09-2004, 12:23 AM
Hangar 3:16 :

One reason we may be taking in negative thoughts is because our belief system has taught us to be tolerant of other people. We just accept things as they are instead of questioning them.

We must now question all the media and help create a new reality by breaking the old Cub pattern of behavior which has confused the public for many years .

jabrch
04-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
So, Hangar, because I bought a new White Sox hat this year because my old one got warped when my wife thought it would be cool to wash it (not a pretty sight), does this mean I won't be a real sox fan for a year until the hat looks old and ratty again?

I buy a few new hats every year. Must make me a terrible Sox fan.

I do get your point Hangar - lots of bandwaggon jumpers. Well, hopefully they will implode this year and next year will revert back to normal.

Fridaythe13thJason
04-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
You'd be proud, Henry. I was out in Wrigleyville last night with my Sox uniform on. Found a few compatriots.

Were you really wearing a whole uniform? Like Ronnie Woo-Woo?

Kidding. :)

Orta 4-6-3
04-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Has anyone heard Dan Bernstein's Farmio impression? Pretty funny, but as a colorman the real Farmer is barely tolerable, and I have to change the station when he does play-by-play.