PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Starter?

Acid
04-08-2004, 01:48 AM
Am I missing something here but why is Garland not throwing tomorrow? Scotty does not have my confidence at all. Help me out here.

Jjav829
04-08-2004, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Acid
Am I missing something here but why is Garland not throwing tomorrow? Scotty does not have my confidence at all. Help me out here.

They want to break up our two worst pitchers, Schoeny and Wright, so Garland was moved back. The idea being that the pen is more likely to be needed in Schoenweis and Wright's starts so by breaking them up they can possibly tax the pen less.

mweflen
04-08-2004, 04:03 AM
The theory Guillen offered is that he wants to break up lefties and righties, so that no opponent faces two lefties or righties in a row.

Because, you see, if the other team had a chance to lock in on Buerhle, they might be able to pound Schoney's "new pitches" EVEN HARDER than they otherwise would....

Prove me wrong, Schoney! :(:

Jjav829
04-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by mweflen
The theory Guillen offered is that he wants to break up lefties and righties, so that no opponent faces two lefties or righties in a row.

Because, you see, if the other team had a chance to lock in on Buerhle, they might be able to pound Schoney's "new pitches" EVEN HARDER than they otherwise would....

Prove me wrong, Schoney! :(:

Really, because I believe KW said on talking baseball this past Sunday that they were broken up because he felt the Sox had 3 horses - Buehrle, Loaiza, and Garland - and so Garland was moved to put another horse in between Wright and Schoeny. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that was his explanation.

delben91
04-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Really, because I believe KW said on talking baseball this past Sunday that they were broken up because he felt the Sox had 3 horses - Buehrle, Loaiza, and Garland - and so Garland was moved to put another horse in between Wright and Schoeny. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that was his explanation.

I think you're right Jjav. This particular series the reason was two-fold though, at least that's what I've heard. Since there was the off day on Tuesday, Buehrle will next start Saturday. So if Schoeneweis pitched in his normal spot Friday, there'd be back to back lefties facing the Yankees. I think the reason you stated is the primary one though, it just works out in this particular series that Buehrle pitches before the No.5, Wright due to the off day.

munchman33
04-08-2004, 10:56 AM
I think they're trying to lose today. Whether throwing Garland or Shoe, we're gonna lose to Vasquez. However, Friday and Saturday are very winnable, so Garland and Wright will throw then. We even have a chance for three of four with Monday's game, when Buehrle faces a struggling Mussina. Anyway, I'd much rather see Shoe face the Yankees today, when its a game we're supposed to lose anyway.

jabrch
04-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by munchman33
I think they're trying to lose today. Whether throwing Garland or Shoe, we're gonna lose to Vasquez.

Cy Vazquez? I mean - is this guy that good that we should just throw in the towel now and TRY and lose?

Yuck

batmanZoSo
04-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
They want to break up our two worst pitchers, Schoeny and Wright, so Garland was moved back. The idea being that the pen is more likely to be needed in Schoenweis and Wright's starts so by breaking them up they can possibly tax the pen less.

Great!

Some teams go for winning streaks.

We just try to avoid losing streaks.

batmanZoSo
04-08-2004, 12:29 PM
As for Vazquez, it's easy to pitch in a dome with 4,000 people in the stands. Let's see him handle opening day with a packed house in the Bronx...and against a real AL lineup.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-08-2004, 12:37 PM
I am not going to say that Vazquez stinks or that he is a Cy Young candidate, but let's not take him too lightly. He is a good strikeout pitcher, he ranked near the top in K's last year. Hopefully the Sox hit him around early.