PDA

View Full Version : "Go out and get drunk"

A. Cavatica
04-07-2004, 09:57 PM
I enjoyed this quote. I think it was good advice, and I like the way it deflected some heat from the players onto Ozzie (though I don't think he intended that).

npdempse
04-08-2004, 12:28 AM
I liked it too; it's the right attitude--just forget the loss & move on. OTOH, it reminds me of Jim Bouton writing about his loser manager on the Pilots--"Pound those Budweisers into ya, boys."

Oz needs to maintain the positive outlook, but he also has to ensure that he's respected by the players.

wdelaney72
04-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Can you imagine Jerry Manual telling his players to go out and enjoy a few cocktails to loosen up a bit?

Railsplitter
04-08-2004, 08:18 AM
From what I can gather, Ozzie was saying to forget about Monday's game, not to go and get drunk just to get drunk.

poorme
04-08-2004, 08:38 AM
Both papers report that Guillen got "heat" for that comment, but fail to mention who was giving it.

Guillen's response:

''I don't care what people think, if they second-guess me or misunderstand what I say,'' Guillen said. "Yes, I said it. I didn't think it would make it back home. I was talking with my team, and that's the way I'm going to communicate with them.''

sas1974
04-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by poorme
Both papers report that Guillen got "heat" for that comment, but fail to mention who was giving it.

I am guessing that's because the only "heat" he received was from the papers, that were trying to make something out of nothing to start trouble. It was just guys being guys and it's great to see, especially with this team.

samram
04-08-2004, 09:16 AM
I can't imagine the Chicago media trying to start trouble with something a member of the White Sox said.

Irishsox1
04-08-2004, 09:22 AM
Did Ozzie say that black people were better suited for the heat?....No, that was Dusty Baker. Did Ozzie say that questioning players about steroids was McCarthyism?.....No, that was Dusty Baker again. Ozzie said, after a very bad loss to start the season to forget about it, go get drunk, and start back tomorrow. Not to be taken serious, but just a reminder to forget about the game and come back tomorrow ready to play. Which is what the Sox did. However, when someone mentions drunk in baseball, it usually means Mickey Mantle drunk, which is to be totally bombed.

sas1974
04-08-2004, 09:29 AM
This whole thing is as dumb as when they were getting on PK and some of the guys for having beers after clinching in 2000.

Jerko
04-08-2004, 09:30 AM
What's wrong with gettin drunk after Monday's game. Tuesday was an off day!