PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wright pitched in exhibition game...

A. Cavatica
04-07-2004, 09:50 PM
"Dan Wright pitched six innings Monday in a minor-league exhibition game. He made the appearance to stay on schedule to make his first start Sunday in New York."

Would Ozzie have made different moves Monday if Wright had been available out of the pen? Instead he pitched in a minor league exhibition. We could've had Rauch or Pacheco or someone start that game.

cheeses_h_rice
04-07-2004, 09:52 PM
I wasn't aware that Wright wasn't on the roster now. Who goes down when he comes up?

A. Cavatica
04-07-2004, 09:53 PM
He's on the roster, yet he pitched in a minor-league exhibition instead of being available out of the pen.

soxfan26
04-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
He's on the roster, yet he pitched in a minor-league exhibition instead of being available out of the pen.

Maybe he doesn't plan on using Wright out of the pen.

cheeses_h_rice
04-07-2004, 10:03 PM

With all our 'pen woes, Wunsch on the DL, low confidence in Takatsu and Koch...not a good move. Were they just trying to give him more starting practice before throwing him to the lions?

voodoochile
04-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Why would you use a starter in a closing situation anyway? I mean get him some work, but you would never put him in in the ninth. Am I missing something here?

A. Cavatica
04-07-2004, 10:10 PM
He's had some success pitching in relief, and he wasn't scheduled to start for a long time. Why wouldn't you want him available to the major league team instead of throwing meaningless innings?

I'm not saying that Guillen should've used him before the guys he did use, I'm just saying he should've had the option.

soxfan26
04-07-2004, 10:16 PM
He's had some success pitching in relief, and he wasn't scheduled to start for a long time. Why wouldn't you want him available to the major league team instead of throwing meaningless innings?

I'm not saying that Guillen should've used him before the guys he did use, I'm just saying he should've had the option.

He's also had some success as a starter. Most starters pitch better when they stick to their routine. If he keeps him on track then they aren't worthless innings.

voodoochile
04-07-2004, 10:19 PM

This is all just an exercise in logic then and means nothing in the real world. No way Wright pitches over any of the guys who pitched and gave the game away Monday. Yesterday was an off day and he wouldn't pitch today because he starts on sunday.

So no, it wouldn't have mattered in the slightest, IMO if he was on the team. Thus, I cannot fault KW or OG or even JR for this decision. It's completely moot...

cheeses_h_rice
04-07-2004, 10:21 PM
What if the Sox had to play a 17-inning game, Voodoo?

A. Cavatica
04-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Exactly. Hindsight. He could've been available for the game Monday and then gotten his work in on Tuesday.

voodoochile
04-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
What if the Sox had to play a 17-inning game, Voodoo?

Okay, then you might have a point, but since that didn't happen, the rest is just for the sake of argument. Besides, with an off day tuesday, they could have used Garland, brought Wright up to pitch in Garland's spot and then gone with Rauch or Pacheco on Sunday.

I mean, there were ways around it if necessary, right?

As it sits, it wouldn't have changed a thing which was what the original post asked. You want to change the disucssion, fine, but that wasn't what was stated.