PDA

View Full Version : Shoeneweis

NSSoxFan2
04-07-2004, 09:20 PM
First off, I guess you can say I have come out of retirement. I have been a part of WSI since the beginning, right through rivals.com ;) (anyone remember that time). Although I haven't posted in forever, I'm back.

Anyways, why is everyone down on Shoeneweis? I agree the past couple of years he was been mediocre at best. But remember this: home opening weekend of 2000 against the Angels, I watched Shoeneweis blank the Sox in a complete game three or four hitter. Give this guy a chance as a starter, he might end up being a diamond in the rough.

:gulp:

Daver
04-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Whoa,a NSSF sighting!

Could Dagobeef be far behind?

NSSoxFan2
04-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Whats going on DAVER! How have you been?? Man right when you said that name (Dagobeef) my brain turned into a vcr and rewinded back and i had a good laugh.

RichFitztightly
04-07-2004, 09:25 PM
We got no choice but to give him a shot. I'd be lying if I said I was super optimistic, I don't think his cutter is right yet. From what the reports have said, his new change up is abysmal and should scrap it, if he hasn't already.

MRKARNO
04-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Well as one of the most outspoken critics of Schoeneweis I can tell you why we're so down on him:

-He never has been even decent as a starter
-He has never even been decent as a reliever
-Everyone was against his being in the rotation and his spring performance proved us right

I was impressed by his K totals, but he was serving up so many HRs in the mean time, that they were irrelevant.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not set in my anti-Schoeneweis ways. If he comes out tomorrow and pitches a quality start or better against the Yankees, I will remove to Schoe's Foes pic. If he does it in 2 straight starts, I will remove even the mention in my sig. Now that we have to deal with him, I want him to do well, but i dont think he will. I want him to prove me wrong, but I havent seen any good in his pitching ability at any point in time.

Daver
04-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by NSSoxFan2
Whats going on DAVER! How have you been?? Man right when you said that name (Dagobeef) my brain turned into a vcr and rewinded back and i had a good laugh.

There are still some of the originals left,I'm sure they will chime in on this.

Welcome home.

:)

NSSoxFan2
04-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think this guy is the worst starter we got. I just remember one thing at the beginning of last year, I thought Loiza would be off this team by the beginning of May.

I was a little wrong.

A. Cavatica
04-07-2004, 09:46 PM
I remember him doing well against us also. I think KW must remember it because he's had a jones for Shoeneweis ever since.

But his career numbers against righthanded hitters are just awful, and since most teams have at least one righthanded batter :smile: he's not suited to be a starter. He was pretty good as a situational lefty for Anaheim, and I think that's the right role for him, his ego be damned.

Heck, if we never trusted Foulke to start for us, why should we trust this guy?

MRKARNO
04-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think this guy is the worst starter we got. I just remember one thing at the beginning of last year, I thought Loiza would be off this team by the beginning of May.

I was a little wrong.

Loaiza at least didnt post an 8+ ERA in ST. He had a decent ST, unlike Schoeneweis, but you do bring up a good point.

A. Cavatica
04-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Loaiza had a terrific spring last year. He kept pitching better and better with every start, and there was no way he wasn't going to make that team.

The only encouraging sign from Shoeneweis this year was the strikeouts. Again, a good trait to have in a situational lefty.

WSox8404
04-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Shoney is the worst starter we have but I don't think he is the worst number five in the league. I know he is our number 4, but in reality, he seems to be five. He is better than Sergio Mitre for sure. So don't give up on him yet. If we can get 8 to 10 wins out of him, we will be okay.

Iwritecode
04-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Whoa,a NSSF sighting!

Could Dagobeef be far behind?

I've been waiting on DB for a couple of years now. I'm about ready to give up...

Welcome back NSSF. :smile:

voodoochile
04-07-2004, 10:34 PM

I was a little wrong.

Oh man, an oldie but a goody.

Welcome to the new boards. In case you don't recognize me, I used to be JJ35...

Welcome back! :D:

delben91
04-07-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I've been waiting on DB for a couple of years now. I'm about ready to give up...

Welcome back NSSF. :smile:

I'm hardly an original, but I showed up just before the switch off of the Rivals site. I got into a couple of threads with Dagobeef, but barely got to read any of his posts before the changeover. I do remember being exceptionally impressed with his Sox and baseball knowledge in general. That being said...

Good to see you again NSSF.

NSSoxFan2
04-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Whats going on everyone. I'm so glad with the success of the site. Remember when we used to be so small like 10-30 regulars. Congrats go out to George, IWC, Daver, and anyone else that deserves it.

Its good to be back guys. Amongst the most knowledgeable fans in baseball!

GO SOX GO

jcirish85
04-07-2004, 10:45 PM
MRKRANO, just wondering, if Schoenweis pitches a shutout tommorow, will your signiture be "Schoenweis 04 = Loaiza 03" or smething like that? Your dogging him and he hasn't thrown one pitch as a starter with the white sox.

Foulke You
04-08-2004, 01:06 AM
Whats going on everyone. I'm so glad with the success of the site. Remember when we used to be so small like 10-30 regulars. Congrats go out to George, IWC, Daver, and anyone else that deserves it.

Its good to be back guys. Amongst the most knowledgeable fans in baseball!

GO SOX GO

Welcome back NSSoxFan! Ahhh..the Rivals days. I used to post under "Matt C" then. I remember when there would be only a few new threads a day. Now, there are scores of new threads to read here every day with hundreds of users. It has been a pleasure to see this site grow into what it is now, the #1 website for White Sox fans.

Kilroy
04-08-2004, 07:39 AM
As another poster that goes way back to rivals, all those names bring back memories. Prolific posters. I spent so much time reading, there wasn't time to get in lots of the time. Welcome back NSSF. Its nice to see a veteran return...

gosox41
04-08-2004, 07:44 AM
First off, I guess you can say I have come out of retirement. I have been a part of WSI since the beginning, right through rivals.com ;) (anyone remember that time). Although I haven't posted in forever, I'm back.

Anyways, why is everyone down on Shoeneweis? I agree the past couple of years he was been mediocre at best. But remember this: home opening weekend of 2000 against the Angels, I watched Shoeneweis blank the Sox in a complete game three or four hitter. Give this guy a chance as a starter, he might end up being a diamond in the rough.

:gulp:

I have a feeling Schoenweis will prove to be complete garbage as a starter.

I hope he proves me wrong because if not I'm going to complain about how lousy of a SP this guy is as long as he is in the rotation.

I have a bad feeling about today. It's going to be a long game today. Prove me wrong Schoene.

Bob

Kilroy
04-08-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I have a feeling Schoenweis will prove to be complete garbage as a starter.

I hope he proves me wrong because if not I'm going to complain about how lousy of a SP this guy is as long as he is in the rotation.

I have a bad feeling about today. It's going to be a long game today. Prove me wrong Schoene.

Bob

Ahhh, White Sox optimism....

It'll be fine, Bob. Schoe will be decent today...

South Sider
04-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Well, maybe some of you are interested what "SCHOENE_WEISS" (which are two german words) means in english ????

"Beauty White".

Well, that sounds very optimistic for me !!!!

:) :) :) :)

Greetings from Germany

Go Sox

ChiSoxJay
04-08-2004, 07:57 AM
Wouldn't it be special if Schowy gets rocked in the first couple innings and gets pulled for Cotts. Then Cotts shuts down the Yankees the rest of the way for a White Sox victory? I just think it would be ironic for Cotts to win his job back at the place where is basically lost it last year.

I know Schowy hasn't thrown a pitch in the regular season yet, but so far he hasn't impressed many with his past performance as a starter as well as in spring training. I hope he does prove me wrong, but I think Cotts has way more upside and we'll probably see him in that starters role by the end of April.

poorme
04-08-2004, 08:22 AM
I predict he'll be OK...maybe not today, but overall. 12 wins 4.50 ERA.

MRKARNO
04-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by jcirish85
MRKRANO, just wondering, if Schoenweis pitches a shutout tommorow, will your signiture be "Schoenweis 04 = Loaiza 03" or smething like that? Your dogging him and he hasn't thrown one pitch as a starter with the white sox.

Loaiza won his first 7 starts. If Schoeneweis won his first 5 I'd consider it.