PDA

View Full Version : How are these signs relayed?

guillen4life13
04-07-2004, 04:42 PM
I'm curious to know how whoever calls pitches from the bench is able to relay pitch call signs to Miggy. I hardly ever see him looking at the dugout, and wouldn't that make it easy for signs to be stolen from the dugout? And from the catchers box, is it easy or hard to see into the dugout that clearly?

Enlighten me.

SEALgep
04-07-2004, 04:43 PM
He calls the game as well.

guillen4life13
04-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
He calls the game as well.

Are you sure? I hear that Sandy and co. call it from the bench and signs are relayed to him.

Daver
04-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Miguel looks into the dugout after every pitch,and Sandy sends him two pitches,one for the main pitch and one for the shakeoff from the pitcher.That way he does not have to look back to the dugout while the pitching is waiting on him.

WhiteSox = Life
04-07-2004, 04:47 PM
I thought I heard that the pitch selections were relayed to the catcher sometimes and also to the shortstop who gives them to the catcher.

Does that happen or is it a different type of sign I'm thinking of?

I may be wrong, though, as I don't know the intricacies of being a catcher.

SEALgep
04-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Miguel looks into the dugout after every pitch,and Sandy sends him two pitches,one for the main pitch and one for the shakeoff from the pitcher.That way he does not have to look back to the dugout while the pitching is waiting on him. What about the third, because he shook him off twice in one sequence, and then agreed to one without Olivo looking?

Daver
04-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
I thought I heard that the pitch selections were relayed to the catcher sometimes and also to the shortstop who gives them to the catcher.

Does that happen or is it a different type of sign I'm thinking of?

I may be wrong, though, as I don't know the intricacies of being a catcher.

Traditionally,a catcher arranges the infield,when you have a young inexperienced catcher,the bench coach will position the infield via the SS.

Daver
04-07-2004, 04:53 PM
What about the third, because he shook him off twice in one sequence, and then agreed to one without Olivo looking?

75% of all shakeoff's are done to decieve the hitter,it is not because of pitch selection.

WhiteSox = Life
04-07-2004, 04:53 PM
Traditionally,a catcher arranges the infield,when you have a young inexperienced catcher,the bench coach will position the infield via the SS.

Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

SEALgep
04-07-2004, 05:04 PM
75% of all shakeoff's are done to decieve the hitter,it is not because of pitch selection. Gotcha. Do you think he'll be calling his own games by mid season, or is it the kind of deal where he won't until Sandy Alomar is gone? He's got to be ready at some point. Maybe next year?

ShoelessFred
04-07-2004, 05:06 PM
also when there are runners on base, the catcher looks to the dugout for a pitchout or pickoff.

Daver
04-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Gotcha. Do you think he'll be calling his own games by mid season, or is it the kind of deal where he won't until Sandy Alomar is gone? He's got to be ready at some point. Maybe next year?

I would hazard a guess that he will start sometime this season,he called some games on a limited basis last Sept. when the roster was expanded.The biggest part of calling a game is knowing the opposing hitters,that comes from experience more than anything else.

Daver
04-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
also when there are runners on base, the catcher looks to the dugout for a pitchout or pickoff.

More for the pitchout,the catcher makes the decision on a snap throw,and the pitcher usually makes the decision for a pickoff throw.

SEALgep
04-07-2004, 05:13 PM
More for the pitchout,the catcher makes the decision on a snap throw,and the pitcher usually makes the decision for a pickoff throw. Ya, that's more instinctive. Olivo is pretty good at it too.

SEALgep
04-07-2004, 05:15 PM
I would hazard a guess that he will start sometime this season,he called some games on a limited basis last Sept. when the roster was expanded.The biggest part of calling a game is knowing the opposing hitters,that comes from experience more than anything else. That makes sense. He's developing a repour with the pitching staff and learning the hitters a little bit more. I'm glad he's learning from Alomar. That can only help his progress.

jabrch
04-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Do you think Ozzie has a set of English signs for Burke and a set in spanish for Miguel and Sandy?

:ozzie
"Ju kno d'beers tase bedder after we ween!" :gulp:

JohnBasedowYoda
04-07-2004, 05:23 PM
[i]
"Ju kno d'beers tase bedder after we ween!" :gulp: [/B]

Terrible, but funny

jabrch
04-07-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
Terrible, but funny

'eets no funee. Ju kno dat. Ju will do a pressCONfence my way. I am dee boss"

guillen4life13
04-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
'eets no funee. Ju kno dat. Ju will do a pressCONfence my way. I am dee boss"

I see the humor, but some people won't, just to let you know.

Back some time ago, people used to do the same thing with Sammy Sosa's picture instead, and there were some people who didn't think it was in good taste.

I can see and understand both sides of the argument, but I'm just letting you know.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-10-2004, 01:50 AM
it's funny. i've never seen someone type an accent like that. Kudos!

JohnBasedowYoda
04-10-2004, 01:51 AM
But it's gonna be a great year. If corpseball returns, at least ozzie's rants will be funny