PDA

View Full Version : Rotten defense May Doom 2002 Sox

chisoxt
09-09-2001, 06:30 PM
Everyone has made such a huge deal out of the rash of injuries this team has had, but quite frankly, a bigger culprit has been the terrible defense this team has played. Across the board, it has been horrid! Even our pitchers with the exception of Buehre can't catch the ball. Todays defensive gem was contributed by Chris Singleton who misplayed a catchable ball into the tying run.

I don't care who comes back next year, but if the defense doesn't improve we will be in the same position in the standings next year.

doublem23
09-09-2001, 06:32 PM
2000 - We lead the league in errors (I know its a pointless stat), and we won 95 games... Hmmm........

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-09-2001, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
2000 - We lead the league in errors (I know its a pointless stat), and we won 95 games... Hmmm........

:thechoice

"I don't make any errors"

doublem23
09-09-2001, 06:39 PM
:hitless
I also only get hits 1/2 the season.

CerberusWG
09-09-2001, 07:51 PM
Well lets look at our lineup and Defense for next year.

1B-Konerko-Decent at first, has a mix of good and bad plays, good for first.

2B-Durham-Hot and cold, has trouble with line drives, good 2B though

3B-Crede I think he made about 15 or so errors down in Charlotte

SS- Valentin-See 2000...

LF-C Lee-An absolutley horrific outfielder...

CF-Singleton-Good speed, good arm strength, solid

RF-Maggs-Solid Outfielder

Rowand-Very fast, not afraid of the wall, seems to be very solid.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-09-2001, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG

This guy absolutely HAS to play every day next season.

KempersRS
09-09-2001, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

This guy absolutely HAS to play every day next season.

What have we got, 20 games left? He HAS TO start in 15+ of those, same goes for Crede. It'll never happen though...
:jerry
"We will have all April next year to figure out who plays where! Those games don't count, right?"

CLR01
09-09-2001, 08:47 PM
Dont forget about may as well Jerry.

Tragg
09-09-2001, 10:44 PM
Well lets look at our lineup and Defense for next year.

1B-Konerko-Decent at first, has a mix of good and bad plays, good for first.

2B-Durham-Hot and cold, has trouble with line drives, good 2B though

3B-Crede I think he made about 15 or so errors down in Charlotte

SS- Valentin-See 2000...

LF-C Lee-An absolutley horrific outfielder...

CF-Singleton-Good speed, good arm strength, solid

RF-Maggs-Solid Outfielder

Konerko is adequate I suppose. It seems to me that he's made several key errors, however.

Durham's okay.

SS is a problem. Valentin makes too many mistakes; clayton is okay but his bat is a problem.

Don't know about crede.

Lee is bad.

Singleton, hopefully, will be long gone. His arm isn't strong and neither is his bat.

Ordonez is okay - he's more average than solid.

FarWestChicago
09-09-2001, 10:46 PM
Konerko is adequate I suppose. It seems to me that he's made several key errors, however. :walnuts

I suppose you are referring to my ole plays. I am simply preparing for a career in bullfighting.

CerberusWG
09-09-2001, 11:14 PM
Forgot Catcher

Josh Paul-No Bat, horrid Defense, no arm strnegth
Mark Johnson-Below Average Batting, Calls good games, good arm strength

Iguana775
09-10-2001, 08:49 AM
Forgot Catcher

Josh Paul-No Bat, horrid Defense, no arm strnegth
Mark Johnson-Below Average Batting, Calls good games, good arm strength

i think that MJ would make a pretty good back up. i really think the only position we need to address(if we can only address one position) in the offseason is catcher. out C position is just bad this year. it sure would be nice if we could get CJ back or maybe trade for kendall. but i know i am dreaming so we are stuck with paul(ugh.....) and MJ.

Kilroy
09-10-2001, 09:51 AM

The Sox led the league in another dubious category this year:

Injuries.

Chances are if 2 or 3 of the more key people that were hurt this season were around, the Sox coast to the Central crown.

The Sox won 95 games in spite of leading the league in errors, not because of it.

Procol Harum
09-10-2001, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by KempersRS
:jerry
"We will have all April next year to figure out who plays where! Those games don't count, right?"

ROTFLMAO!

Procol Harum
09-10-2001, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
i really think the only position we need to address(if we can only address one position) in the offseason is catcher

Aiiiiieeeee!! We need to do some more rearranging to this team for 2002 if we're gonna go anywhere. Durham, Lee, Singleton--get rid of the t'ree o' dem--the first two--inconsistent and DUMB (at the plate, on the bases and in the field), and I sincerely believe that although Singelton's obviously a good fielder and a solid citizen, we could improve upon the CF position in terms of obp, power, and maybe steals.

mrwag
09-10-2001, 12:26 PM
We won 95 games in 2000 in horrible defense, but look how far it took us in the post-season? The playoffs are where defense and pitching shines, as we all saw. If the Sox don't make changes up the middle for '02, we're look at 2nd place again. Even with a "normal" Frank in the lineup and our pitching staf to return, if we don't start playing better D and playing smarter little ball, we won't compete. We just can't go up there and rely upon the long ball for wins. It just won't take us far enough. We have some games where we just run the other team out of town and execute, then the next game we forget it all and play stupid again. The last series at home agains Cleveland was an example. Granted, it was a split, but man they played good ball. Stolen bases, good sac bunts, execution. It's the way winning ball is played.

idseer
09-10-2001, 12:42 PM

we also scored 6+ runs per game. i don't know how realsitic it is too expect that kind of production again.
personally i think it's fantasy to think a team can be a serious contender for any title without good basic defense!

doublem23
09-10-2001, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

The Sox led the league in another dubious category this year:

Injuries.

Chances are if 2 or 3 of the more key people that were hurt this season were around, the Sox coast to the Central crown.

The Sox won 95 games in spite of leading the league in errors, not because of it.

Exactly. I didn't say errors win games, I said hey, last year when we lead the league in errors, we also won 95 games, so why did we try and fix something that wasn't broken? Injuries will happen, you just have to play...

mrwag
09-10-2001, 06:08 PM
The injuries this year brought our poor defense and poor little-ball to center stage. We could no longer out hit/out pitch the lack of execution and defense. We still could have won, but the fundamentals weren't there.

CerberusWG
09-10-2001, 06:17 PM
If I was GM this is what I would do..... ahem

Trade CLee, flat out horrid in OF. Let Maggs play LF.
Trade Durham. We have Liu Rodiriguez and Hummel putting up some fantatsic numbers in AAA and AA respectively.

Trade Singleton, let Rowand play Center.

Let Borchard play Right, or center.

Trade Perry, let Crede play.

Trade Royce the Choice and get a catcher prospect.

So our lineup would be:

1B-Konerko
2B-Rodriguez/Hummel (Preferably Hummel)
3B-Crede
SS-Valentin
LF-Rowand
CF-Borchard
RF-Maggs
C-Johnson/Olivio
DH-Frank
UI-Graff

Now, IMO, that would be a really fun team to watch. A solid young team, that might resemble 2000's team.

Staff:

Buehrle
Parque
D Wells?
Glover/Garland
K Wells/Wright

With Malone, Ulacia, Guerrier being outside shots.

Bullpen

Foulke
Howry
Barcelo
Embree
Wunsch
Lowe
Fogg

PH-Liefer, I have a bad feeling Baines will still be around also.

Not that bad of a team guys.......