PDA

View Full Version : The teal Weak teal AL Central

batmanZoSo
04-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Suddenly, our division is looking pretty competitive. You come in with three teams, Us, Minnesota, and KC being playoff contenders, then you have Detroit at 2-0...while it took them like a month to win that many games a year ago. They might not be the doormats of yesteryear anymore. They're not gonna win this division but it's reasonable to expect near .500 out of them. Even if they're terrible again, we're still no weaker than the NL Central.

We have three solid teams...they have three solid teams.

They have three god awful teams...we have two...

soltrain21
04-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Suddenly, our division is looking pretty competitive. You come in with three teams, Us, Minnesota, and KC being playoff contenders, then you have Detroit at 2-0...while it took them like a month to win that many games a year ago. They might not be the doormats of yesteryear anymore. They're not gonna win this division but it's reasonable to expect near .500 out of them. Even if they're terrible again, we're still no weaker than the NL Central.

We have three solid teams...they have three solid teams.

They have three god awful teams...we have two...

Those two god awful teams could be debated though. Pitt, Cincy and the Brew Crew are just BAD. Whereas the Indians are just young, and the Tigers are TRYING to improve.

poorme
04-07-2004, 11:27 AM
What our division lacks in excellence, it makes up for in competitiveness.

batmanZoSo
04-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by soltrain21
Those two god awful teams could be debated though. Pitt, Cincy and the Brew Crew are just BAD. Whereas the Indians are just young, and the Tigers are TRYING to improve.

Well I called all five god awful, so as not to short change anyone. If you wanna call them all "bad" it doesn't really make a difference.

Their top 3 are better than our top three, but they also have three crap teams while we only have 2. I'm just trying to keep things in perspective since every ten minutes I hear someone say the AL central is the weakest division in baseball.

JRIG
04-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Let's remember Tampa Bay started 2-0 last year and sucked the rest of the way. Detroit just lost Dmitri Young for 2 months and Cleveland just doesn't have the pitching yet.

cheeses_h_rice
04-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Detroit will be lucky to win 70 games this year. Cleveland, too.

Our division is not good, folks.

batmanZoSo
04-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
Let's remember Tampa Bay started 2-0 last year and sucked the rest of the way. Detroit just lost Dmitri Young for 2 months and Cleveland just doesn't have the pitching yet.

It's gonna come down to the same three as last year. No team with Nate Cornejo as their number one will make the playoffs. Or Brian Anderson for that matter. But KC is still within miracle range. No miracle can help Detroit or Cleveland.

jabrch
04-07-2004, 11:43 AM
This division is TERRIBLE - quite possibly the worst I have seen since the 3 division format. Any of the top 3 in the NL Central would be the prohibitive favorite to win our division.

batmanZoSo
04-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
This division is TERRIBLE - quite possibly the worst I have seen since the 3 division format. Any of the top 3 in the NL Central would be the prohibitive favorite to win our division.

Last year, the Cubs with 88 wins wouldn't have won the wild card let alone any other division. I know, that was last year, but who's counting on the cubs to win that many games again given their history? Les Grobstein picks them to finish third. They have holes. The Cardinals are all offenxe. The Astros are aging and have no true closer. Maybe they would be the favorite in this division, but not by much.

Hullett_Fan
04-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Last year, the Cubs with 88 wins wouldn't have won the wild card let alone any other division. I know, that was last year, but who's counting on the cubs to win that many games again given their history? Les Grobstein picks them to finish third. They have holes. The Cardinals are all offenxe. The Astros are aging and have no true closer. Maybe they would be the favorite in this division, but not by much.

They (and the Astros and the Cards) finished with 80-88 wins because they are good teams that beat up on each other.

The Twins, Sox and Royals are 3 bad teams that beat up on each other.

I think the Reds could win this division...I really do. So in essence each of the divisions have 2 terrible teams. The AL Cental has 3 average/below-average teams to go with them and NLC has 3 above-average teams.

Please don't ever mention "Tigers" and "contenders" or "Good" or "competitive" in the same paragraph again. Thank you.

StepsInSC
04-07-2004, 05:56 PM
Just because its competitive within the division doesn't mean its not weak.

doublem23
04-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Can we at least have this discussion after the first week of the season?

owensmouth
04-07-2004, 06:32 PM
I don't give a rat's behind if all the experts complain about how weak the AL Central is. When we win it, we're in the playoffs.

If the East is so tough that the Yankees and/or Bosox are wasted, so much the better. Same is true for the West with the Angels/Athletics and/or Mariners.

Forget about the others, let's win the Central.

jabrch
04-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
I don't give a rat's behind if all the experts complain about how weak the AL Central is. When we win it, we're in the playoffs.

Forget about the others, let's win the Central.

Agreed! We have to make that happen though!

1951Campbell
04-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Can we at least have this discussion after the first week of the season?

No! We must consider the streaking Tigers.

DSpivack
04-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
No! We must consider the streaking Tigers.

Hey, they might improve 20 games from last season.

Unfortunately for them that brings them to, what, 64-98?

batmanZoSo
04-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
They (and the Astros and the Cards) finished with 80-88 wins because they are good teams that beat up on each other.

That's lame. I suppose the Reds, Pirates and Brew-crew all beat up on the upper three too right?

I think the Reds could win this division...I really do.

I think you're smokin dope...I really do.

doublem23
04-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan

I think the Reds could win this division...I really do.

And Baseball America hasn't called you about a job interview yet, WHY?

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-07-2004, 10:13 PM
I think it's a joke some of you think that the cardinals or reds could win the AL Central. Both teams have offensive talent like the sox, but niether of those two teams have pitching. The Sox have 2 good starters in buehrle and loaiza.

Rocklive99
04-08-2004, 12:45 AM
I hate hearing our division is the worst in the majors, since you can't compare to any in the NL, since they play different teams. I know an NL team won the WS, but I compare the two leauges, and see much more dominant teams in the AL than I do in the NL. Then I look at the worst teams in the AL, and compare them to the worst in the NL, and on paper (I hate this term too, but this is all I can base it on), the notorious bad AL teams look more competitive/improved. Sure it's early, but I saw it last year too. E.g. The Tigers playin everyone (especially us) hard at the end, while the Reds lay down for the Flubs.

I was watching the Marlins game yesterday, and they said the NL East was the second best division in baseball (behind the AL East), what a joke.

doublem23
04-08-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I think it's a joke some of you think that the cardinals or reds could win the AL Central. Both teams have offensive talent like the sox, but niether of those two teams have pitching. The Sox have 2 good starters in buehrle and loaiza.

The Reds are a complete stretch, but the Cardinals really only have to get 1-2 pitchers to have a year to contend. They have the best offense in that division. I doubt it, but saying the Cardinals are out of the running isn't giving the talent on that team the props it deserves.