PDA

View Full Version : Q/A with Pres. of Stadium Op. Terry Savarise

joecrede
04-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Make of this what you will (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040406&content_id=695609&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

Brian26
04-07-2004, 12:10 AM
No new information, although it's disappointing to see the bs oozing out of Terry's mouth when he says the top 8 rows were the highest and steepest in the upper deck. Yes, they were the highest. No, they weren't the steepest. The slope was (and is) constant from the bottom to the top of the upper deck. The seats didn't automatically get steeper at the top.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-07-2004, 12:27 AM
that man prolly wears knee-cushions to work

dllrbll7
04-07-2004, 12:31 AM
Hey obviously didnt get the memo of them raising parking prices to $16 this year

mweflen
04-07-2004, 12:46 AM
Q: Will fans holding upper deck seats be able to get onto the main concourse?

Savarise: We will continue to restrict access for all ticket holders to the level where their seat is located, to avoid placing extra strain on concession stands, vendors and restrooms. We are working to upgrade the amenities available in the upper level so it will be a destination in itself.

The above is ALMOST an admission that UD fans get screwed by substandard availability of concessions, restrooms, and souvineers.

ALMOST.

havelj
04-07-2004, 01:07 AM
It about time. First of all it was WAY too loud and distorted (especially if you sat near a speaker.) Second - they should let Nancy Faust play more during 1/2 inning breaks.

MadCitySoxFan
04-07-2004, 03:44 AM
The problem with restrictions on upper deck ticket holders is that I wanted to buy a retro hat when I visited last year, but could not vist the hat shop in left field so they lost a sale that was more expensive than my ticket. Plus, the lower deck being empty when it's cold looks bad on tv so they should let the upper deck fans come down when attendance is below 15,000.

mweflen
04-07-2004, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by MadCitySoxFan
The problem with restrictions on upper deck ticket holders is that I wanted to buy a retro hat when I visited last year, but could not vist the hat shop in left field so they lost a sale that was more expensive than my ticket. Plus, the lower deck being empty when it's cold looks bad on tv so they should let the upper deck fans come down when attendance is below 15,000.

MCSF - you're a man after my own heart! The reason that the "Upper Deck Lockdown at the Cell" is unfair and stupid from a customer service standpoint is that the UD just does not have the same availability of items, concessions, bathrooms, water pressure in the drinking fountains, etc.

And they wonder why people are wary of coming back...

The only time I truly see Savarise's justification of "not stressing concessionaires" is during sellouts such as opening day, sox-cubs, playoff games (hah!) and the like.

Otherwise, it's unfair, unwise, and bound to anger potentially loyal UD patrons.

bc2k
04-07-2004, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by mweflen
The reason that the "Upper Deck Lockdown at the Cell" is unfair and stupid from a customer service standpoint is that the UD just does not have the same...water pressure in the drinking fountains

ok, ***?

mweflen
04-07-2004, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
ok, ***?

It's the truth! Let me paint the picture for you - it's Sox-Cubs 2002. The only tix I could get were Sec. 509 Row 30. No kidding! My back was literally at the wall. It's 95 degrees out with probably 75% relative humidity.

Suffice it to say, mobile beverage service is not a very frequent occurrence at this altitude and this temperature. So it's up to me to trudge up and down 30 rows worth of stairs to go to the concourse and fill up the water bottle.

Well, much to my chagrin - no pressure. None. Zilch. The tiniest of trickles dribbles out of the spigot, nothing more.

It was like I was Tantalus and Jerry Reinsdorf was a punishing Greek God...

---

but really, Bc2k, I only included it to be funny and thorough :smile:

bc2k
04-07-2004, 04:39 AM
The reason that the "Upper Deck Lockdown at the Cell" is unfair and stupid from a customer service standpoint is that the UD just does not have the same...water pressure in the drinking fountains, etc.

And they wonder why people are wary of coming back...

No kidding. I've toured every major league stadium in this great land and I've come across no other park than Comiskey that is so lax in its care of the drinking fountains. these kind of cutbacks are INEXCUSABLE from a park located so close to one of our great lakes. water filtration and conservation needs to be addressed ASAP! time to raise Cain boys; I smell a boycott: "Hell no, we won't go." "Hell no, our water won't flow."

all in good humor mweflen :smile:
welcome to WSI :gulp:

mweflen
04-07-2004, 04:59 AM
Hey, this isn't even to mention the hypochondriac girlfriend I had at the time of that game - she "fainted" from dehydration on the Red Line going to another hot-weather Sox game we attended.

(thank goodness my current GF never dehydrates, AND has boycotted the UD because it makes her dizzy...)

If I get near a scanner, I should scan the pic we took of the "no pressure" Sox-Cubs game from the UD - it's a nice panorama shot from the last row, with us sweating and wilting in the heat :smile:

CLR01
04-07-2004, 08:22 AM
The above is ALMOST an admission that UD fans get screwed by substandard availability of concessions, restrooms, and souvineers.

ALMOST.

You get what you pay for.

Hangar18
04-07-2004, 09:15 AM
thats why I dont sit up there. Its way too high, new roof or not.
Id rather watch the game at home honestly ...................

DrummerGeorgefan
04-07-2004, 09:20 AM
I dont see how 15k people could strain concession stands. I agree with the others that the upperdeck ticket holding fans should be allowed downstairs. Plus, a lot of those tickets are sold to churches, groups, etc. with lots of kids. By restricting the kids access to the lower deck things like speed gun and all the other amusements, you are basically Wirtz-ing a new generation of fans.

wdelaney72
04-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Yes, you get what you pay for. But, for a big series like the Cubs or Yankees, the UD may be all that is available. I'm sure many people at those games would be willing to pay more for the LD seat.

sas1974
04-07-2004, 09:40 AM
That's the way it goes. If I am paying $35 for a box seat, I don't want to have to waste an inning waiting in line for the bathroom bc the folks in the upper deck don't like the seats that they bought. As ill-conceived as the development of our park my seem, I am sure that a great deal of planning went into allocating the proper amount of facilities required for each level at capacity.
That's just for sell outs mind you. I think it's a bit ridiculous not to let people come down to the main concourse when there's only 15-20K in the park.

On another note, this policy is not any different than many stadiums out there. If you have 300 level tickets at the UC, you can't go strolling down courtside. In addition, even if you have courtside seats, you can't go up and hang out in the 200 level lounge area.

Iwritecode
04-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
No new information, although it's disappointing to see the bs oozing out of Terry's mouth when he says the top 8 rows were the highest and steepest in the upper deck. Yes, they were the highest. No, they weren't the steepest. The slope was (and is) constant from the bottom to the top of the upper deck. The seats didn't automatically get steeper at the top.

Actually, yes they did.

It was reported that the pitch of the upper deck is like thirty-something degrees but the last few rows, the angle went up a few degrees...

Dadawg_77
04-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Does anyone remeber the bleacher gates? I think the Sox were trying to make it like Wrigley.

Jerko
04-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
That's the way it goes. If I am paying $35 for a box seat, I don't want to have to waste an inning waiting in line for the bathroom bc the folks in the upper deck don't like the seats that they bought. As ill-conceived as the development of our park my seem, I am sure that a great deal of planning went into allocating the proper amount of facilities required for each level at capacity.
That's just for sell outs mind you. I think it's a bit ridiculous not to let people come down to the main concourse when there's only 15-20K in the park.

On another note, this policy is not any different than many stadiums out there. If you have 300 level tickets at the UC, you can't go strolling down courtside. In addition, even if you have courtside seats, you can't go up and hang out in the 200 level lounge area.

I was gonna keep quiet on this but you bring up a few points worth repeating. I am a season ticket holder on the lower level and as silly as that interview may have sounded, it DOES make a difference on concession stands and even worse, the bathrooms. Saturday night firework shows were the WORST days to be there before they started making people sit where they belong. Now none of those nights were sellouts, but when you wind up having the entire populace of the UD standing in the left or right field concourse it is pretty bad and yes, I DO take offense to that as a paying season ticket holder. If your seats are in left or right, which mine are, it is a BRUTAL, brutal experience. I'll use the stadium club as an example. You have to pay to get in there, either a season pass or split season pass. So, on an empty night in the bullpen bar, can anyone just go up to the stadium club? Go to a nice restaurant and order a steak and then complain you want to pay for a hot dog just because nobody else has a steak? Doesn't work that way, shouldn't work that way at the cell.

We make fun of the Urinal but I've been to more than a few games before the UD policy was in effect where people were pissing in the damn sinks because there were way too many of them down there. If walking around the concourse and buying a hat means that much to you, buy a lower deck ticket or go to grandstand, or put aside some $$$ for ONE game in the lower bowl if that is the issue. Try going to any other game and see if you can just go sit wherever you want. Granted, the night of a rain delay vs. the Tigers with 100 people there is one thing, but any other normal game, sit where your ticket says you're supposed to. Or go sit in the bullpen bar, shell out a sawbuck, and sit in there. Walking around the concourse is really not one of the reasons to go to a game. Hey, let's go to the Sox game tonight, we can walk around the concourse! Who's winning? I don't know, I'm too busy walking around the concourse. It's not really that breathtaking of an experience. I sit down there because the seats are better, not so I could spend 9 innings walking around. As for group outings, because God forbid a kid miss the speed pitch, they conduct group outings in my section and the next 2 over so that's not really a valid point either. You can get a group outing at anytime on the lower level (scrub games and the opener excepted). It just seems that every argument against the UD policy has nothing to do with the damn game, and for that we may as well be Cub fans.

tebman
04-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
I dont see how 15k people could strain concession stands. I agree with the others that the upperdeck ticket holding fans should be allowed downstairs. Plus, a lot of those tickets are sold to churches, groups, etc. with lots of kids. By restricting the kids access to the lower deck things like speed gun and all the other amusements, you are basically Wirtz-ing a new generation of fans.

That's the real motivation of that policy, of course. I think there
was a loosely-enforced policy before -- depending on whether an
usher happened to check your ticket, you could wander around
at will between the UD and the LD. But after those morons ran
on the field last year, Sox management did what any frightened
corporation does: they overreacted with a lockdown.

I don't know if Dybas or Ligue (sp?) had tickets for the upped deck
on the nights they ran on the field, but the Sox' crack security
force decided they must have. Therefore, the unwashed (UD) are
never to commingle with the gentry (LD) again.

Bah. I really, really, miss Bill Veeck.

- tebman

poorme
04-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Heh...a class warfare!

They ought to just make it physically impossible to get from the upper deck to the lower...move the ramps or something. That way no one can argue about it and the ushers wouldn't have to deal with the problem.

THE_HOOTER
04-07-2004, 10:24 AM
The policy is necessary for more reasons than just keeping people off the field.

Season ticket holders, and purchasers of the lower level seats have to wait in really long lines for food, beer, and the washroon.

I love this policy, and people who bitch about it have no beef--If you want the lower deck experience buy a lower deck seat.

If you go on Ticketmaster I am pretty sure you can pick your section right now.

anewman35
04-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
thats why I dont sit up there. Its way too high, new roof or not.
Id rather watch the game at home honestly ...................

For somebody who spends his entire life trying to get rid of cliches about the Sox, you certianly seem to buy into one. I really don't see how anybody can consider the first couple rows of the upper deck "bad seats". You have a perfect view of everything. You get a much better view of the plate and the infield (where most action in a baseball game happens) from upper deck seats between the bases than you do from the bleachers which everybody loves so much.

Jerko
04-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Does anyone remeber the bleacher gates? I think the Sox were trying to make it like Wrigley.

Anybody complaining about the UD policy does NOT remember those gates. You could not even walk from left to right to get to the bullpen bar or a less empty bathroom, you had to walk all the way around and you got "carded" all the time to see if you had a "bleacher" seat. That was the worst.

tebman
04-07-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
The policy is necessary for more reasons than just keeping people off the field.

Season ticket holders, and purchasers of the lower level seats have to wait in really long lines for food, beer, and the washroon.

I love this policy, and people who bitch about it have no beef--If you want the lower deck experience buy a lower deck seat.

If you go on Ticketmaster I am pretty sure you can pick your section right now.

I'm sure I can. And I do prefer the lower deck for the same
reasons most others do. Now that the remodeling job has
reportedly added more concession space upstairs, there should
be fewer reasons for an upper deck ticketholder to want to go downstairs.

But that wasn't the case before, which I suspect is why there
was traffic between the levels. If somebody is behaving badly
they should be shown the door, but my beef is the assumption
that if one sits in the upper deck, one is more likely to engage
in antisocial behavior. That's the unwashed-vs.-gentry thing that
the Sox (and all of professional sports, for that matter) is enthusiastically
promoting in order to squeeze more money out of us.

If we're led to believe that the "lower deck experience" is somehow
superior to the alternative (other than a better view of the game),
even more money will be charged for it. That's why the Chicago
National League Ball Club built the new field-level seats and is
charging >$100 for tickets. Bob Chicoine, a former beer vendor
in Old Comiskey, wrote a poem that was made into a video
montage called "The Wrecking of Old Comiskey Park," in which
he has a verse that discribes the new park as a "class sandwich"
with good people below, lesser people above, and the "red meat"
of moneyed people in the middle suites.

That's why I miss Veeck.

- tebman

sas1974
04-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by tebman
That's why I miss Veeck.

- tebman

This is way off topic and I know Veeck was a great showman, but I have a feeling that if Veeck still owned the team, we'd be jealous of Milwaukee's payroll.

tebman
04-07-2004, 11:00 AM
This is way off topic and I know Veeck was a great showman, but I have a feeling that if Veeck still owned the team, we'd be jealous of Milwaukee's payroll.

:D: :D: :D: Touche!

Yeah, Veeck was cheap and he was a hustler, but he wasn't a phony.
What I miss about him certainly isn't the team he put on the field,
but his refusal to play the classes-of-fans game that's used now
to inflate the cash flow.

I just wanna see a ball game among other fans and not feel like
I have to raise my hand to go to the bathroom.

- tebman

batmanZoSo
04-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
Hey obviously didnt get the memo of them raising parking prices to $16 this year

In 2000 I believe it was 10. In 2001 it jumped to 13. And every year since it's gone up a dollar.

Question...

If we got money from US Cellular to upgrade the park, why do we suffer price increases all around each year?

The problem is south siders often can't afford to take their whole family to the Sox game.

Solution?

Raise ticket prices...no, DOUBLE THEM! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAH!

anewman35
04-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

Question...

If we got money from US Cellular to upgrade the park, why do we suffer price increases all around each year?

Because the payroll has gone up pretty much every year (yes, including this year). The money has to come from somewhere.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
I was gonna keep quiet on this but you bring up a few points worth repeating....

Amen brother, i'm happy to sit anywhere i can in the park when i go (sometimes i do feel like i'm being jipped with the general cost of going). But if i feel the need to chill on the LD i go ahead and spring for the extra few bucks. And unless you're right behind home plate, or in that area, the better seats in the house are the UD seats.

Randar68
04-07-2004, 12:05 PM

Following the game, you can enter the lower deck concourse, no?

Brian26
04-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Actually, yes they did.

It was reported that the pitch of the upper deck is like thirty-something degrees but the last few rows, the angle went up a few degrees...

I've never seen that. Do you know where that came from?

Brian26
04-07-2004, 12:08 PM

If Veeck still owned the team, we'd probably be playing in Milwaukee.

CHISOXFAN13
04-07-2004, 12:44 PM

There is a gift shop in the upper deck. I have a hard time believing you couldn't get one there.

pinwheels3530
04-07-2004, 12:46 PM
Sox fans stop complaining about the UD, even with the new roof all I hear is negative comments. Hangar stay home and worry about the cubs like you usually do!

pinwheels3530
04-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Sox fans stop being so cheap and pay for where you want to sit in the ld or ud, no wonder are attendance is bad :whiner:

ewokpelts
04-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Because the payroll has gone up pretty much every year (yes, including this year). The money has to come from somewhere.

yeah...but they raised the prices last year too for the asg....no reason why they increased ...again...
Gene

anewman35
04-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
yeah...but they raised the prices last year too for the asg....no reason why they increased ...again...
Gene

Like I said - the payroll increased, again. The team is paying out about $10 million more this year, that money has to come from somewhere.

Dadawg_77
04-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Like I said - the payroll increased, again. The team is paying out about $10 million more this year, that money has to come from somewhere.

The question is does higher prices reduce volume of sales enough so price increase generates as much revenue as expected. If the Sox kept ticket prices the same as last year, I would have renewed my tickets, but after a sub par year with no sight of any help coming, and it costing more, it became not worth it to commit myself to going to 20+ games a year.

Like any freshman economic major can tell you, if you raise the price of an object, demand lowers to from a point of equilibrium on the famous supply and demand curve. A business which canít move supply of a product should set the price of their good at the equilibrium point which maximizes revenue. There is a reason the most attended games are half price nights. Sox could be pricing themselves out of the market, you can't compare the Sox and Cubs since both offer different experiences. If the Sox drop ticket prices $5 around, the volume of sales could increase enough that it would generate more revenue then the price raise will.

nasox
04-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by havelj
Second - they should let Nancy Faust play more during 1/2 inning breaks.

I agree wholeheartedly about more organ. I was at the Urinal for a game last year late in the year (my cousin from Canada wanted to see it-we also went to game at the cell) and something happened to one of the Umps (i think he had a heart attack) and he had to leave. This wasted 10-15 minutes which they filled up with organ music. it was great, and it really adds that old time, golden age of baseball feel. More organ would be great.
And at that, less of those stupid races or guess the ball under the hat -more than two is too much, five a pain in the butt!