PDA

View Full Version : This is ridiculous


batmanZoSo
04-06-2004, 06:18 PM
I never posted during the season here and I thought this site was full of cool headed veteran Sox fans that didn't get too high or low over one game. I was pretty wrong there. I can't believe the stuff I'm reading here.

I'm not chastizing everyone here, I'm just saying for those of you who are all worked up, take a breather...it'll be alright. We will win tomorrow. If we don't...THEN we go nuts. :smile:

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-06-2004, 06:29 PM
oh man...being here since may of 2002 I've saw quite a lot of things similar to this. I remember the game last year when all the cub fans were running onto the field against the royals, and koch blew the save by throwing a meatball to sweeney. It was just as bad as yesterday. I also remember viewing the site from a hotel in tampa bay when the sox blew the lead in the 9th vs the rays in tampa right after they got robbie and everett. Not a pretty thing to see.

HITMEN OF 77
04-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
We will win tomorrow. If we don't...THEN we go nuts. :smile:

If we don't win tomorrow, someone in the White Sox org should get there nuts racked up.

batmanZoSo
04-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
oh man...being here since may of 2002 I've seen quite a lot of things similar to this. I remember the game last year when all the cub fans were running onto the field against the royals, and koch blew the save by throwing a meatball to sweeney. It was just as bad as yesterday. I also remember viewing the site from a hotel in tampa bay when the sox blew the lead in the 9th vs the rays in tampa right after they got robbie and everett. Not a pretty thing to see.

I can understand those situations somewhat. That TB game just ruined my whole day. I felt like I'd been stabbed in the stomach. We were in a pennant race at that time though. This is the first game of the year.

pudge
04-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Yes, there have been a lot of wacky things said, but that's to be expected after such a shocking loss.

But even a (somewhat) cool-headed "veteran" such as myself gets very worried at how this Sox team starts the season.

As a previous poster mentioned, things got crazy at WSI after the opening series last season, and rightfully so. As it turned out, the opening series was indeed an indicator of how the team would slumber through the season.

Will yesterday be an indicator of things to come? Hopefully not, but I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking so.

This club obviously has no clue how to handle a miserable bullpen, and that is very much a legitimate concern.

RedPinStripes
04-06-2004, 06:41 PM
I'm pissed about the loss, but i'll recover as long as Ozzie learned from his mistake. Not that i blame him all that much. 3 pitchers in one inning should be able to get 3 ****in outs when you're up by 5.

batmanZoSo
04-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by pudge
As it turned out, the opening series was indeed an indicator of how the team would slumber through the season.



This club obviously has no clue how to handle a miserable bullpen, and that is very much a legitimate concern.

It wasn't really an indicator for the whole year It wasn't like 2001 where we were gone by April 30th.. We turned it around, and yeah we flopped at the end, but there were times when we looked like we could do some damage in the playoffs.. We were really in the thick of things and other teams had some fear of us down the stretch because we could hit the crap out of the ball and had three starters that could throw a shutout at any time. I have much fonder memories of 03 than 02 and 01 put together. I about gave up on the season when Jiminez dropped that pop up in Oakland and let three runners score or whatever it was, but I say it's way too early to be thinking negatively. I can't believe baseball is back. I'm still depressed over the Twinkie dome series.

Again, it's only one game and it's the first game ever for Ozzie as a manager. Assuming Marte isn't hurt or doesn't have a "dead arm" you gotta think that he's not gonna give up two homers every night. If that were any other day, we'd have won. Even last year we blew like a 3 run lead against Frisco.

DSpivack
04-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Well, I'm sure glad we face an easy team at home after the Royals series.

Then again, the White Sox usually play the good teams very well; they only struggle with the teams they should beat.

jeremyb1
04-06-2004, 08:47 PM
Haha. People don't take the losses well here. We could use a psychiatrist on hand after most tough games and if you played or coached in the game you can count on a post blaming you for the loss.

pudge
04-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
It wasn't really an indicator for the whole year It wasn't like 2001 where we were gone by April 30th.. We turned it around, and yeah we flopped at the end, but there were times when we looked like we could do some damage in the playoffs.. We were really in the thick of things and other teams had some fear of us down the stretch because we could hit the crap out of the ball and had three starters that could throw a shutout at any time. I have much fonder memories of 03 than 02 and 01 put together. I about gave up on the season when Jiminez dropped that pop up in Oakland and let three runners score or whatever it was, but I say it's way too early to be thinking negatively. I can't believe baseball is back. I'm still depressed over the Twinkie dome series.


We would have been gone by April 30th if we were in a decent division, but maybe that's your point - we're in a cruddy division, so there's always hope. Look, I'm not saying "season over", I'm just saying after what we recently went through, this was one of the worst possible ways to start a season.

On a different note, I really find it interesting how some people look at 2003. It was marginally better than 01 and 02, but considering the roster, it was also more of a let down. I was simply not impressed with Sox baseball from start to finish last season - if you believed KW's hype about other teams being scared to face us in the play-offs, then I have a bridge I'd love to sell you. Yeah we mashed the ball once in a while, and we had three decent starters, but Loaiza was fading, we had no closer, and we had Jerry Manuel as our manager.

Anyway, I just hope it doesn't rain tomorrow so we can stop talking about this opener!

DSpivack
04-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by pudge
a different note, I really find it interesting how some people look at 2003. It was marginally better than 01 and 02, but considering the roster, it was also more of a let down. I was simply not impressed with Sox baseball from start to finish last season - if you believed KW's hype about other teams being scared to face us in the play-offs, then I have a bridge I'd love to sell you. Yeah we mashed the ball once in a while, and we had three decent starters, but Loaiza was fading, we had no closer, and we had Jerry Manuel as our manager.

True, but I think in 2003 we had more talent than in 2001 or 2002. We had four decent starters, and a much better lineup and bullpen than we do now or than we did in 2001 or 2002. Last year's White Sox may not have been the Yankees, but I see as having the best potential of any in a long time, and I fear in a long time, as well.

StockdaleForVeep
04-12-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I never posted during the season here and I thought this site was full of cool headed veteran Sox fans that didn't get too high or low over one game. I was pretty wrong there. I can't believe the stuff I'm reading here.

I'm not chastizing everyone here, I'm just saying for those of you who are all worked up, take a breather...it'll be alright. We will win tomorrow. If we don't...THEN we go nuts. :smile:

this is comin from the man who was calling for Lee's head before last season because "we could do better"

not to mention your headhunting on konerko and a before we knew him to be horrid royce clayton