PDA

View Full Version : Damaso Marte- Dead Arm Period?


Foulke You
04-06-2004, 03:22 PM
I'm as numb as everyone else on yesterday's loss but I guess what bugged me the most was the way Marte's pitches looked yesterday. Even Hawk and DJ commented on how Marte's fastball didn't have a lot of life on it like we're used to seeing. He was only clocking around 90mph when we are used to see him around 94 mph on the gun. That lack of life on Marte's pitches was the reason why a guy who had 3 career homers and an .086 batting avg after the 7th inning hit a ball 430 feet off him. Also, Marte's big sweeping curve wasn't catching the corners (admittedly the homeplate ump wasn't giving much on the corners) but it just didn't look like the same guy as last year. Is this rust or does anyone think this is a dead arm period Marte may be going through? Perhaps he has an injury? Any thoughts?

poorme
04-06-2004, 03:23 PM
That's the $64,000 question.

TaylorStSox
04-06-2004, 03:28 PM
If they're not giving him the slurve to righties, he's a sitting duck. This has been the case forever. He never overpowered people with his velocity (93-96). He keeps hitters off balance with it. That has always been my impression.

poorme
04-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Farmer said his velocity was down.

Foulke You
04-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Farmer said his velocity was down.

It was indeed down. I was watching a tape of a game from last season where he was consistantly hitting 93-94 mph on the gun. Yesterday, the highest it reached was 91mph. Just ask Billy Koch how much a few mph means to your success.

Marte does depend on getting the corner calls for success but if his fastball is lifeless, he is going to get hit hard.

Randar68
04-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I'm as numb as everyone else on yesterday's loss but I guess what bugged me the most was the way Marte's pitches looked yesterday. Even Hawk and DJ commented on how Marte's fastball didn't have a lot of life on it like we're used to seeing. He was only clocking around 90mph when we are used to see him around 94 mph on the gun. That lack of life on Marte's pitches was the reason why a guy who had 3 career homers and an .086 batting avg after the 7th inning hit a ball 430 feet off him. Also, Marte's big sweeping curve wasn't catching the corners (admittedly the homeplate ump wasn't giving much on the corners) but it just didn't look like the same guy as last year. Is this rust or does anyone think this is a dead arm period Marte may be going through? Perhaps he has an injury? Any thoughts?

Marte got whacked around pretty good in a couple of his last outings of the spring, IIRC, and I had heard he was struggling with velocity. All but confirmed yesterday given that same gun read Koch's pitches between 96-98 mph and was reading Marte in the low 90's.

You folks do the math. I actually thought Koch looked good out there.

RichFitztightly
04-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

You folks do the math. I actually thought Koch looked good out there.

"Good" -- Too early to tell. He definitely looked better. Compared to last year that's not too difficult. I liked seeing his velocity up and I'll see if that translates into better success this year.

Randar68
04-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
"Good" -- Too early to tell. He definitely looked better. Compared to last year that's not too difficult. I liked seeing his velocity up and I'll see if that translates into better success this year.

His mechanics were better and there was more velocity, I don't know how much, but I don't think the gun was more than 3-4 mph off, meaning he was still touching 94 or 95 mph probably. The ball was really jumping to the plate. I'm not going to get all excited about it, just stating my observation. I never bought into that whole, "we're turning him into a pitcher instead of a thrower" crap. Not for a pitcher like Koch at that stage of his career. His success lies almost solely in his velocity.

RichFitztightly
04-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
His mechanics were better and there was more velocity, I don't know how much, but I don't think the gun was more than 3-4 mph off, meaning he was still touching 94 or 95 mph probably. The ball was really jumping to the plate. I'm not going to get all excited about it, just stating my observation. I never bought into that whole, "we're turning him into a pitcher instead of a thrower" crap. Not for a pitcher like Koch at that stage of his career. His success lies almost solely in his velocity.

I agree with what you're saying. I just like to reserve the adjective "good" for a player who repeats good results. I'd rather call the outing "better" until I can see whether or not this game was a fluke. The increased velocity is an encouraging sign that this wasn't a fluke game, but I have such low confidence in Koch that I need to wait to reserve judgement. All in all I agree with you, I'm just using different semantics to describe it.

SoxxoS
04-06-2004, 05:37 PM
As stated before, that gun at the park was about 3 mph too fast...

I saw Politte hit 99 his first pitch, and Buerhle was 92-93 a few times.

Marte was probably throwing closer to 89.

soxnut
04-06-2004, 05:46 PM
His arm is blown..he'll never get it back. So I'm cancelling paying any attention to the Sox at all and I'll be cancelling my tix for '05 and beyond........ :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

SoxFan76
04-06-2004, 06:08 PM
It was the first game. I think the pitchers will get into the groove shortly, whether that groove is good our bad still remains the question. Will Koch get back into the groove of sucking? Will Marte get back into the groove of dominating? Those are questions that can't be answered on opening day. I just hope Marte doesn't have Konerko syndrome. Get a contract extension and play like crap. (But we all know Paulie makes a little more money than Damaso.)

The pitching on both sides was shaky. Remember, the Royals gave up 7 runs themselves. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but most were earned runs as well I think. They didn't play a great game either. In fact, the Sox thoroughly outplayed them for 8 innings. Unfortuntaely all it took was 1 bad inning for things to go wrong. I saw a lot of good things yesterday. (I never started watching baseball religiously until 2001, so that hit and run with Rowand and Alomar still boggles my mind. I haven't seen baseball like that in a long time.) I feel the bad things will be just fine after a few games.

Back on topic, Marte will be fine. He didn't pitch a lot of innings during the spring, so maybe he'll get that movement back. Hey, I admit I'm a little too optimistic at times, so feel free to disagree. That's just my opinion.