PDA

View Full Version : Hawk, who you crappin'?

Win1ForMe
04-06-2004, 08:31 AM
I thought it was pretty funny how, throughout yesterday's game, Hawk maintained that Tony G. left the Sox because he wanted more playing time. And then we get this gem in today's paper:

''If I had to be 100 percent honest, I'd say a part of [signing elsewhere] was financial,'' said Graffanino, who signed a two-year, $2.2 million deal with the Royals. ''I felt like the offers I was getting from a lot of teams out there were way better than what I was getting from Chicago.

''I felt like I had a home in Chicago, felt like I had a place there and would have loved to have stayed, but I'm at the point in my career where I don't know how many more years I'm going to be playing, and I have to start looking out for the future. The offer they made, really, I felt like it was an insult -- bottom line.''

Tekijawa
04-06-2004, 08:43 AM
White Sox Lowballing???? UNHEARD OF!!!

poorme
04-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Well, the truth finally comes out.

mike squires
04-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Can't say that I blame Tony G.

Jjav829
04-06-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
Can't say that I blame Tony G.

Me either. He made a good choice. I hope he does well in KC except when we play them.

sas1974
04-06-2004, 08:52 AM
And K-dub says that he never heard anything about Tony G being insulted. He said, she said. Either way, it's pointless to debate this. Tony G is gone. And unless he can come into a game and pitch 3 scoreless innings, I couldn't care less. Yes, I liked having him around and he was a solid utility player while he was here, but if this season goes south it's not going to be because Tony G isn't in a White Sox uniform.

bennyw41
04-06-2004, 08:54 AM
How is this Hawk's bad? He said in his opinion, and Tony said something else. I don't get your call out of "Hawk"

poorme
04-06-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
Yes, I liked having him around and he was a solid utility player while he was here, but if this season goes south it's not going to be because Tony G isn't in a White Sox uniform.

When this team goes South it will because of their idiotic penny pinching ways that prevent us from getting decent role players - backup infielders, middle relievers, and end of rotation starters.

Hangar18
04-06-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by poorme

I knew that all along ................. Hawk was just being a good
Company man. Which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but I knew
this is Reinsdorf were talking about, and NOT to take anything
they say as truth................

anewman35
04-06-2004, 09:19 AM
When this team goes South it will because of their idiotic penny pinching ways that prevent us from getting decent role players - backup infielders, middle relievers, and end of rotation starters.

Yeah, that Tony G really helped us win it all last year!

soxtalker
04-06-2004, 09:25 AM
Take a look at this entire link:

Southtown notes (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/061sd3.htm)

The comments in the first post are certainly there. However, a key comment for me was a bit later indicating that the Sox wanted to value Graf as "only a utility guy".

Now, one can certainly question the Sox not being willing to give him a chance as a full-time infielder. However, it also occurs to me that this is a very common situation across all types of jobs. Employees often have to move on to another organization to be able to move up, as their current organization has them pegged for a certain role.

poorme
04-06-2004, 09:30 AM
I don't buy that excuse. $1.1 mil/year for one of the best utility men in the league. A guy that can step in and play any of the infield spots should someone go on the DL or something. A guy who could platoon with Valentin should he continue to hit .113 against lefties.

But talking about Graf specifically is not the point. He is just an example of the team's poor use of payroll. Who would you rather have, Graf or Takatsu?

springrovesoxfan
04-06-2004, 09:41 AM
I would have kept Graf over Uribe or Takatsu. But, this is just another example of Hawk being a mouth piece for the organization. No matter whet KW or JR does, it seems Hawk is there backing them up. I'am just surprised Hawk hasn't put the blame for the payroll totally on us fans.

poorme
04-06-2004, 09:43 AM
A caller on the SCORE said that George Brett asked Hawk about our bullpen. He said it was terrific!

sas1974
04-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by springrovesoxfan
But, this is just another example of Hawk being a mouth piece for the organization. No matter whet KW or JR does, it seems Hawk is there backing them up.

I believe that's why Hawk is still around while Wimpy is not.

SEALgep
04-06-2004, 10:09 AM
I liked having Tony G. a lot, but Uribe is cheaper and has a lot more upside. I know no one wants to hear the future speech, but Tony G. is a utility man and should only start on a regular basis in case of injury and is getting fairly old, while Uribe could very well be a starting SS if continues to improve. And isn't it at all possible that Tony G., although probably said he wanted more playing time and money to show for it, left on good terms and is now changing his tune. I don't necessarily see that is a reflection off of Hawk.

springrovesoxfan
04-06-2004, 10:11 AM
I believe that's why Hawk is still around while Wimpy is not.

If thats all JR and KW want is a yes man, they could save a lot of money by taking some ventriloquist lessons and buying a wooden dummy. then they would have total control of what he says, does and thinks.

Hangar18
04-06-2004, 10:12 AM

AMEN. Post of the Day

KingXerxes
04-06-2004, 12:32 PM
If thats all JR and KW want is a yes man, they could save a lot of money by taking some ventriloquist lessons and buying a wooden dummy. then they would have total control of what he says, does and thinks.

:hawk

"Another one?"

bobj4400
04-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

"Another one?"

King-

when are u going to give us the post game dialogue from yesterday's debacle b/t hawk, dj, wills, and the rest of the broadcast crew??

steff
04-06-2004, 12:51 PM

He was not going to be a full time player here.. so why would he expect full time $$..?

I certiantly don't pay the temp/part-time help what I pay the full-time help.

This time I see nothing wrong with what the Sox offered.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2004, 12:51 PM
I would have kept Graf over Uribe or Takatsu. But, this is just another example of Hawk being a mouth piece for the organization. No matter whet KW or JR does, it seems Hawk is there backing them up.

That's why Hawk is known as the Oracle of Reinsdorphi. He is the absolute most-reliable source for understanding what Reinsdorf is thinking at any given moment. It's been like this for years, too. You don't need daily Reinsdorf quotes in the paper as long as Hawk is around.

I'am just surprised Hawk hasn't put the blame for the payroll totally on us fans.

If this team fails to contend, look for him (i.e. Reinsdorf) to say something around July 31, the trade deadline.

"Well Feisty, you can't spend what you ain't got... yessir."

wdelaney72
04-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Tony G. is one of the best utility men in baseball. He will be severely missed.

I'm glad he spoke up and set the record straight.

Hawk is Hawk. He's always been coporate suck-up. This is nothing new. I don't care what Hawk says, asl long as he continues to be the same man he is in the broadcast booth.

Brian26
04-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
I thought it was pretty funny how, throughout yesterday's game, Hawk maintained that Tony G. left the Sox because he wanted more playing time. And then we get this gem in today's paper:

Doesn't more playing time translate to more money? I don't understand the big deal here. These two go hand-in-hand. Of course Tony G wanted more money...who wouldn't? And he wanted more playing time to justify it. I don't see what the big story is.

poorme
04-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by steff
He was not going to be a full time player here.. so why would he expect full time $$..?.

$1.1 million is full time money? maybe in Milwaukee or montreal.

steff
04-06-2004, 12:59 PM
$1.1 million is full time money? maybe in Milwaukee or montreal.

No. He was NOT going to be a full time player.. so he was NOT offered full time money..

Did I say it wrong the first time.. :?:

steff
04-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Doesn't more playing time translate to more money? I don't understand the big deal here. These two go hand-in-hand. Of course Tony G wanted more money...who wouldn't? And he wanted more playing time to justify it. I don't see what the big story is.

Bingo...!!

poorme
04-06-2004, 01:13 PM
No. He was NOT going to be a full time player.. so he was NOT offered full time money..

Did I say it wrong the first time.. :?:

He got $1.1 million/year from KC.....to BE A PART TIME PLAYER. A full time SS makes $5 mil plus.

Brian26
04-06-2004, 01:20 PM
He got $1.1 million/year from KC.....to BE A PART TIME PLAYER. A full time SS makes $5 mil plus.

Uh, there's no set quantity of money a player makes at a certain postion. Ask Robbie Alomar what a full-time second baseman makes this year. Ask nicely, because he's not making it :D:

bobj4400
04-06-2004, 01:25 PM
The problem is arbitration and agents inflating players sense of self worth. In today's baseball, arbitration makes keeping your own free agents extremely hard. If you offer it, players will get much more money than they could earn on the open market and you will end up destroying your payroll. That is why Robbie Alomar is making 1 million dollars to play second for the diamondbacks. The Sox offered him more than that, but he thought he could get more on the open market. Well, he wrong!

Brian26
04-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
The problem is arbitration and agents inflating players sense of self worth. In today's baseball, arbitration makes keeping your own free agents extremely hard. If you offer it, players will get much more money than they could earn on the open market and you will end up destroying your payroll. That is why Robbie Alomar is making 1 million dollars to play second for the diamondbacks. The Sox offered him more than that, but he thought he could get more on the open market. Well, he wrong!

Correct. He wrong, and....

"He GAWN!"

Rocklive99
04-06-2004, 02:15 PM
This isn't a big surprise, DJ mentioned it yesterday while Hawk was doing the playing time routine. DJ said "Plus Tony will be getting more money than he would have with the White Sox...so it was probably a good move for Tony"

KingXerxes
04-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
King-

when are u going to give us the post game dialogue from yesterday's debacle b/t hawk, dj, wills, and the rest of the broadcast crew??

:farmer

"So there you have it Sox fans, Kansas City 9 runs, on 13 hits and no errors, while for the White Sox it was 7 runs, on 12 hits and one BIG error."

:rooney

"The error wasn't THAT big - granted it lead to a run, but Ed - we've still got to put this one away."

"No Rooney it was a HUGE error. You see, if Buehrle makes that throw, then it's one less run that you have to protect, and when you're protecting a five run lead instead of a four run lead, well then it gives you a lot of options that you otherwise wouldn't have or at least be able to take advantage of given that they won the game, that's right they won it - we didn't lose it, at all."

"What?"

"Now we'll throw it back over to the studio with Dave Wills."

:wills

"I'm not gonna say that this is anything more than the first game of the year which obviously it is, but if we're not gonna get the calls from the official scorer on plays like the one Buehrle doesn't make - well then White Sox fans it's gonna be a long season. I know you don't want to start blaming the official scorer - but listen up - there was no way that should have been an error on Buehrle.........I mean just score it a hit, a double if you have to and simply move on. To hang this one on Mark Buehrle just disgusts me."

"Right Dave, as a pitcher, you can live with the hits, sometimes even with the walks if you have to although you certainly don't want to make a habit of it, but to get an error cast upon you unwittingly in the first game of the year is too much for some of the greatest to overcome."

"That scorer is a big drillrod Cubs fans."

"What in God's Name are you two talking about?"

KingXerxes
04-06-2004, 03:40 PM
:DJ

"C'mon Ken, you've been sitting there for five minutes not saying anything...........this is dead air...........you've got to say something."

".............................................."

"Oh well, if my partner isn't going to...."

"I'm ready now DJ............mercy.............I have been around this game for my entire life to the point where I HAVE seen everything, and I want to tell you that I have never seen a blown call like the one made in the bottom of the second on Mark Buehrle's throw................mercy it just frosts my rutabagas that he was given an error. I don't know if that official scorer ever actually played baseball, but back in my day I would have marched right off the field up to the pressbox and made him change the ruling."

"But it was an obvious error, and it had almost nothing to do with the fact that our bullpen.........."

"I'm proud of our bullpen today. They seemed to grow up right before my very eyes - in spite of having the official scorer working against us all day out there.................mercy sakes alive it's tough enough to beat the other team's nine guys, but when it's nine against ten.............mercy."

"?"

KingXerxes
04-06-2004, 03:41 PM
:reinsy

"Uh oh. Sally did you send that fax out yet to Farmer, Wills and Harrelson? I'm just reading it now and I see I wrote "official scorer" when I meant to write "umpires". Oh well, I'm sure they'll figure it out."

poorme
04-06-2004, 03:44 PM
:o:

funny. so funny it hurts.

steff
04-06-2004, 04:04 PM

I'm sorry.. I'm obviously not being clear here.

I don't care what KC paid him... I was referring to what the Sox offered him.

poorme
04-06-2004, 04:06 PM
I don't care what KC paid him... I was referring to what the Sox offered him.

What did the sox offer him?

harwar
04-06-2004, 04:06 PM
The king lives .. long live the king.
Its the only time i've smiled in the last 24 hours..

bobj4400
04-06-2004, 04:07 PM
King-

Thank you for the comedy. It brightens an otherwise brutal day...

steff
04-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

"Now we'll throw it back over to the studio with Dave Wills."

"I'm not gonna say that this is anything more than the first game of the year which obviously it is, but if we're not gonna get the calls from the official scorer on plays like the one Buehrle doesn't make - well then White Sox fans it's gonna be a long season. I know you don't want to start blaming the official scorer - but listen up - there was no way that should have been an error on Buehrle.........I mean just score it a hit, a double if you have to and simply move on. To hang this one on Mark Buehrle just disgusts me."

"Right Dave, as a pitcher, you can live with the hits, sometimes even with the walks if you have to although you certainly don't want to make a habit of it, but to get an error cast upon you unwittingly in the first game of the year is too much for some of the greatest to overcome."

"That scorer is a big drillrod Cubs fans."

"What in God's Name are you two talking about?"

ROTFLMAO!!!! :D: :D:

steff
04-06-2004, 04:12 PM
What did the sox offer him?

Obviously not as much as KC... :?:

Win1ForMe
04-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

Huh? He's a backup to Relaford.

Besides, the story is Hawk's PR spin. Tony never said he wouldn't be willing to stay with the Sox...he just didn't because KC offered more (and the playing time is equal).

Randar68
04-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Huh? He's a backup to Relaford.

Besides, the story is Hawk's PR spin. Tony never said he wouldn't be willing to stay with the Sox...he just didn't because KC offered more (and the playing time is equal).

They oferred him a real chance to win the job. Even if he stayed here, he wouldn't have been the everyday 2B. And that's a LOCK.

poorme
04-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Obviously not as much as KC... :?:

It would be a lot easier if you just made your point and stopped playing games.

steff
04-06-2004, 04:33 PM
It would be a lot easier if you just made your point and stopped playing games.

My point is that the Sox offered what they were willing to pay for a part time player. Obviously it was not enough for Tony.

Geezus.. what the hell is wrong with this board today. :?:

Effin ignorant.

soxruleEP
04-06-2004, 04:46 PM
The part that handed me the horselaugh was graf's reference to how much better he likes it in KC because there are "more Christians."

Nice to see he's a part of the holier-than-thou crew.

blueeyes33
04-06-2004, 04:58 PM
who heard this one..

when brett was talking to hawk and they were talking about KCs pitching..than he asked hawk "hows the sox bullpen" and hawk just said "it looks good!".....what looks good hawk?

Man Soo Lee
04-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
They oferred him a real chance to win the job.

In the press release (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/kc/news/kc_news.jsp?ymd=20031214&content_id=618218&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp) announcing the signing on the KC site, the GM implies he'll be a utility guy.

"I don't want to say 400 at-bats, but more than 200, there's no doubt about it," Baird said. "Because of his versatility."

Tony had 250 at-bats last year.

Right or wrong, K.C. was willing to pay more for a utility infielder than the Sox were. Since there's no reason to believe that either of our middle infielders can hit lefties, I think it will probably hurt a little.

sas1974
04-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Geezus.. what the hell is wrong with this board today. :?:

Effin ignorant.

I noticed that too. Everyone seems to be a bit uptight today. Everyone should just grab a :gulp: and regroup for Wednesday.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2004, 05:32 PM
I noticed that too. Everyone seems to be a bit uptight today. Everyone should just grab a :gulp: and regroup for Wednesday.

KingXerxes' post was, as usual, hysterical.

:)

sas1974
04-06-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
KingXerxes' post was, as usual, hysterical.

:)

Some much needed comic relief. Did someone say "relief?" :D:

oldcomiskey
04-06-2004, 06:21 PM
A caller on the SCORE said that George Brett asked Hawk about our bullpen. He said it was terrific!

Take them lies somewhere else---I wish people would pay attention before they jump all over somebody---Hawk said no such thing

Win1ForMe
04-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Man Soo Lee
In the press release (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/kc/news/kc_news.jsp?ymd=20031214&content_id=618218&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp) announcing the signing on the KC site, the GM implies he'll be a utility guy.

Tony had 250 at-bats last year.

Right or wrong, K.C. was willing to pay more for a utility infielder than the Sox were. Since there's no reason to believe that either of our middle infielders can hit lefties, I think it will probably hurt a little.

Yeah, but let's not get the facts get in the way of a good argument.

He just wanted more playing time, that's all. I mean, why would Hawk lie?