PDA

View Full Version : Barry Rozner sums it up very well...

dpbyron
04-06-2004, 05:23 AM
I couldn't have said it better myself... :D:

Barry is the most honest and objective writer in town.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp?intid=38083150

hsnterprize
04-06-2004, 06:56 AM
I second the author's comments. For the first 8 innings, yesterday's game was one of the better games I've seen the Sox play in a while. Unfortunately, the 9th inning was an inning I'd love to forget. Granted, Ozzie may have panicked when Buehrle went late into the game, and flip-flopped relievers. However, the relief pitchers...other than Politte...have to accept the blame for this loss. Everyone else pretty much did their jobs yesterday.

This loss leaves a bitter taste in my and other Sox fans' mouths. The Cubbie hype will be strong for now. However, the World Series isn't tomorrow. There are 161 games left, and I believe the Sox can not only pull out of this early funk, but pull ahead of the pack.

Hokiesox
04-06-2004, 08:32 AM
...And we can just about count on Koch to blow any game he gets a chance to. The first 8 innings were great, but this aint mickey mantle little league. An MLB game has 9 innings, and the WS need to play 9 innings. We know our starters are decent, we know our hitters are gonna be good, we can see the baserunning may have improved. The problem is, we don't know what the bullpen is going to do, and they don't pitch before the 6th or 7th inning. I'm glad the first 8 went well, but they play 9 in this league. :angry:

SSN721
04-06-2004, 08:55 AM
Excellent article, lets me see a little light at the end of the tunnel after such a depressing loss. I only hope that Guillen is as good for the club as I think he can be. I guess at least it wasnt a shutout, nice for one writer in this town to recognized how different this team looked yesterday.

hold2dibber
04-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
[B We know our starters are decent, we know our hitters are gonna be good, we can see the baserunning may have improved. [/B]

I don't think we know yet whether the starters are decent - I think it's a coin flip at this point. They could be decent. They could be much worse.

soxnut
04-06-2004, 09:32 AM
...And we can just about count on Koch to blow any game he gets a chance to. The first 8 innings were great, but this aint mickey mantle little league. An MLB game has 9 innings, and the WS need to play 9 innings. We know our starters are decent, we know our hitters are gonna be good, we can see the baserunning may have improved. The problem is, we don't know what the bullpen is going to do, and they don't pitch before the 6th or 7th inning. I'm glad the first 8 went well, but they play 9 in this league. :angry:

Oh yeah, they're just gonna blow every game ....gimme a break.

soxnut
04-06-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I second the author's comments. For the first 8 innings, yesterday's game was one of the better games I've seen the Sox play in a while. Unfortunately, the 9th inning was an inning I'd love to forget. Granted, Ozzie may have panicked when Buehrle went late into the game, and flip-flopped relievers. However, the relief pitchers...other than Politte...have to accept the blame for this loss. Everyone else pretty much did their jobs yesterday.

This loss leaves a bitter taste in my and other Sox fans' mouths. The Cubbie hype will be strong for now. However, the World Series isn't tomorrow. There are 161 games left, and I believe the Sox can not only pull out of this early funk, but pull ahead of the pack.

You, dpbyron and Rozner.......very sensible....we need more of that around here.

Hokiesox
04-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
Oh yeah, they're just gonna blow every game ....gimme a break.

They lost the division last season by 4 games. These things add up over a season. You have to be able to close games like yesterday. I'm not throwing in the towel or peeing on the Guillen parade just yet.

But, I think we should cut the "the played great for 8 innnings" garbage because, my point is...8 innings doesn't win a baseball game.

rahulsekhar
04-06-2004, 10:05 AM

I think this has been posted before by others, but it's not exactly Koch's fault. Was he awesome? No. But he didn't walk the first 2 guys or give up the 2 HRs. Coming in in the situation he did, he did OK. Not great, but OK. In fact, I'd argue that he looked better than Marte last night and that leaving him in might easily have ended up with a ChiSox winner. But it's hard to argue going to a guy who's arguably your best reliever (and among the best in the AL), AND forcing the opposition to go away from their best power hitting bench bat.

Bottom line, Politte & Marte didn't get it done. It happens, hopefully they forget it, move on, and get back to their "usual" performances. To that end, I'm actually happy with Ozzie's reaction.

mweflen
04-06-2004, 11:19 AM
For 8 innings, the Sox looked like a playoff-caliber team.

That's what's so painful about a 9th-inning implosion like that.

Is it poetic justice for all the cr@p we gave Cub fans last year? ;)

valposoxfan
04-06-2004, 11:23 AM
I seem to remember a game very similar to this against Tampa Bay last year that may or may not have happened on a national holiday...and then going on a double digit win streak a week and a half later...hang in there guys.

Hangar18
04-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by dpbyron
I couldn't have said it better myself... :D:

Barry is the most honest and objective writer in town.

......and in some non-descript hotel room in Cincinnati, a reporter
in his cubby pajamas Bristles at this thought. That reporters
name ...........Mike Kiley

Hangar18
04-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by mweflen

That's what's so painful about a 9th-inning implosion like that.

Is it poetic justice for all the cr@p we gave Cub fans last year? ;)

One difference. The Cubs and their "fans" DESERVED IT.
What happened yesterday......We dont deserve

jabrch
04-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
However, the relief pitchers...other than Politte...have to accept the blame for this loss. Everyone else pretty much did their jobs yesterday.

HSN - Why let Politte off the hook? His performance was abysmal. If anyone, I'd let Koch of the hook - he looked fairly good on the mound.

MisterB
04-06-2004, 12:01 PM

They lost the division last season by 4 games. These things add up over a season. You have to be able to close games like yesterday. I'm not throwing in the towel or peeing on the Guillen parade just yet.

But, I think we should cut the "the played great for 8 innnings" garbage because, my point is...8 innings doesn't win a baseball game.

The Royals played great for only one inning and won the game...

Originally posted by jabrch

HSN - Why let Politte off the hook? His performance was abysmal. If anyone, I'd let Koch of the hook - he looked fairly good on the mound.

No, Marte's performance was abysmal. Politte would have been fine (1 hit and 2 k's in 1 1/3 ip) if Ozzie hadn't sent him out there to start the 9th. The unfortunate thing is that Ozzie doesn't yet know how to handle a bullpen, let alone one that is as questionable as this one.

pudge
04-06-2004, 12:48 PM
I'm rarely impressed, but that was a spot-on article.

KingXerxes
04-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Rozner had a nice article, but it doesn't touch on the one thing that's really been bothering me about this team since last year ended - and that is pitching.

I don't want to over-react to yesterday's game, I'm sure the White Sox will come out loose and ready to play on Wednesday - but will they be equipped to compete?

Our bullpen had better be a group of workhorses this year, because we lost a ton of innings with Colon leaving and replaing him with a guy who hasn't started for about three years. A few of our bullpen guys are at or near the end of their careers etc. I don't think yesterday was indicative of what we're going to see all year, but I don't think the problem with this team is one of motivation - it's one of pitching talent.

Hangar18
04-06-2004, 01:28 PM

This is what I was so angry about last APril and May....Manuels "its still early" bs, seemingly not worried and throwing Koch and Konerko out there daily .......... this Bull-oney
STOPS NOW

Dan H
04-06-2004, 01:46 PM
I have always liked Rozner, and this article was very well written along with having excellent points. My problem was that I wasn't feeling that good about the Sox before opening day. I thought they could win their division but that will happen only if they beat division opponents. I don't expect them to pound on the Yankees or Red Sox.

It is easy to overreact because things go wrong with the Sox so often. 0-1 doesn't mean the season is over. But the way the Sox lost sent out some real bad signals. They need to come out of April in good shape. The Sox have demonstrated they can't overcome a bad start.

joecrede
04-06-2004, 04:38 PM
Guillen took Buehrle out at the right time.

Pollitte pitched like a dominant set-up man.

Guillen left Pollitte in 1 batter too long.

Choosing Koch to replace Pollitte was the right move by Guillen.

Bringing in Marte to face Stairs was the right move by Guillen.

Loss goes on Marte.

CubKiller5
04-06-2004, 05:20 PM
I looked up the stats in the situation. Ozzie did the right thing.
Stairs is a weak hitter vs LH & a strong one vs RH.
Even against Koch, he was 1 for 3.
With 2 on, 1 out, a good manager makes the change.
Lopez fit pretty much the same mold only a little better vs LH.

So after Politte, Ozzie pretty much did what you expect.
He should have started the 9th with Cotts, but who's to say
we have any sure things in that bull pen right now?

What a horrible loss. If only Borowski would have done the same.
Then I could feel some sense of concilation.

akingamongstmen
04-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Guillen took Buehrle out at the right time.

Pollitte pitched like a dominant set-up man.

Guillen left Pollitte in 1 batter too long.

Choosing Koch to replace Pollitte was the right move by Guillen.

Bringing in Marte to face Stairs was the right move by Guillen.

Loss goes on Marte.

Yup. That just about sums it up. Marte got beat, and hopefully it won't happen again for a loooooooong time.