PDA

View Full Version : Would Sullivan have Fared Better Today?


Hangar18
04-05-2004, 11:46 PM
Seeing the SOX BullPen was put together Cutting Corners,
Clipping Coupons and Shopping MLB's $1.99 Bargain Bins,
would the recently departed (and might I add it cost us Aaron Myles) Scott Sullivan have done better? I seem to think this
wouldve been his role, and how I missed his brief Presence here

I think its safe to say we can File this loss in the Lets-try-to-save-money-but-instead-got-burned Folder

MRKARNO
04-05-2004, 11:52 PM
I think that Ozzie just mismanaged the pen. What should have happened was Koch coming in to start the 9th with no one on, to show to us that he can hold a 4 run lead with none on, because if he cant hold a 4 run lead, forget a 1-3 run lead. I was saying this at the time, as was Jjav.

We looked pretty pathetic in the first game last year. We look a lot better this year. That bullpen isn't going to be that bad every game. I think that Marte and Politte will rebound. Cliff's problem was that the fastball kept slipping from his hand. Marte wasn't getting some calls and his velocity is down a bit. Koch was Koch.

But Buehrle looked like dependable ol' Burly-mon. The offense was clicking nicely all around. This was just a freak thing that happened to happen on the first game of the year. It will be forgotten in a few weeks when we take 4 of 7 total from the yanks.

Hangar18
04-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I think that Ozzie just mismanaged the pen. What should have happened was Koch coming in to start the 9th with no one on, to show to us that he can hold a 4 run lead with none on, because if he cant hold a 4 run lead, forget a 1-3 run lead. I was saying this at the time, as was Jjav.

We looked pretty pathetic in the first game last year. We look a lot better this year. That bullpen isn't going to be that bad every game. I think that Marte and Politte will rebound. Cliff's problem was that the fastball kept slipping from his hand. Marte wasn't getting some calls and his velocity is down a bit. Koch was Koch.

But Buehrle looked like dependable ol' Burly-mon. The offense was clicking nicely all around. This was just a freak thing that happened to happen on the first game of the year. It will be forgotten in a few weeks when we take 4 of 7 total from the yanks.

Good insight man. This is a good point. I just hope Marte isnt hiding an injury, thats all. I hope OZZ reads your Post here,
and tells the Guys that, hey we couldve won this game, we missed some calls, and we didnt execute, our fault, lets
get them. Im very Angry about this loss, but believe it or not, I wasnt as devastated as last yrs opening day loss.
I saw the loss Coming when KOCH was brought in and knew that if we had someone else in that position, SOX WIN the game. Politte is the guy that Cost us the game for putting us in that spot. Koch stinks and should be released, hes taking up a roster spot.

Jjav829
04-06-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I think that Ozzie just mismanaged the pen. What should have happened was Koch coming in to start the 9th with no one on, to show to us that he can hold a 4 run lead with none on, because if he cant hold a 4 run lead, forget a 1-3 run lead. I was saying this at the time, as was Jjav.

We looked pretty pathetic in the first game last year. We look a lot better this year. That bullpen isn't going to be that bad every game. I think that Marte and Politte will rebound. Cliff's problem was that the fastball kept slipping from his hand. Marte wasn't getting some calls and his velocity is down a bit. Koch was Koch.

But Buehrle looked like dependable ol' Burly-mon. The offense was clicking nicely all around. This was just a freak thing that happened to happen on the first game of the year. It will be forgotten in a few weeks when we take 4 of 7 total from the yanks.

Agreed. As you said, I was never in favor of leaving Politte in the game, but I won't blame Ozzie for this loss. I felt the better move would have been to bring Koch in to start the 9th though I understood Ozzie's thinking. He wanted to minimize the bullpen use and since Politte was pitching well, he figured he might as well stay with him. I felt it would have been better to bring Koch in. He would have been a fresh arm to start the 9th, and you give Billy a less pressure packed situation. I know closers have to be able to deal with the pressure, but I still feel that if this guy is going to be your closer (and from the looks of it, we need him to be) then you need to get him a confidence booster early on. Not only to build his confidence, but to build your confidence in him. I thought Koch looked good and I believe that had he started the 9th inning, were talking about a nice 7-3 Opening Day victory right now. I'm not second guessing Ozzie because I said when it happened that I didn't like the move. Like I stated earlier though, I won't blame him for this one. I just think that with a 4 run lead and an off day tomorrow, you should go with your closer to finish it out.

jeremyb1
04-06-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Seeing the SOX BullPen was put together Cutting Corners,
Clipping Coupons and Shopping MLB's $1.99 Bargain Bins,
would the recently departed (and might I add it cost us Aaron Myles) Scott Sullivan have done better? I seem to think this
wouldve been his role, and how I missed his brief Presence here

I think its safe to say we can File this loss in the Lets-try-to-save-money-but-instead-got-burned Folder

I don't think you can peg this on anything but poor performance. It wasn't reasonable to expect Marte to surrender the lead and lose the game in that situation so it shouldn't matter who else would've pitched earlier.

As far as Sullivan, personally I think that Politte is probably the better pitcher so I don't feel like his presence would've been that helpful.

BainesHOF
04-06-2004, 02:09 AM
You could make an argument for not letting all of our free agents get away...except for Sullivan. That we didn't re-sign a proven, veteran pitcher who is a good guy to boot and who didn't sign for an overabundance of money showed me more than anything that the organization is strictly trying to get by on the cheap and doesn't know what it is doing. You win lots of games with guys exactly like Scott Sullivan. There was absolutely no excuse we didn't sign him.

gosox41
04-06-2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I think that Ozzie just mismanaged the pen. What should have happened was Koch coming in to start the 9th with no one on, to show to us that he can hold a 4 run lead with none on, because if he cant hold a 4 run lead, forget a 1-3 run lead. I was saying this at the time, as was Jjav.

We looked pretty pathetic in the first game last year. We look a lot better this year. That bullpen isn't going to be that bad every game. I think that Marte and Politte will rebound. Cliff's problem was that the fastball kept slipping from his hand. Marte wasn't getting some calls and his velocity is down a bit. Koch was Koch.

But Buehrle looked like dependable ol' Burly-mon. The offense was clicking nicely all around. This was just a freak thing that happened to happen on the first game of the year. It will be forgotten in a few weeks when we take 4 of 7 total from the yanks.

Ozzie's overmanagement of the bullpen reminded me of someone:

:jerry

*Tinker TInker* My ears are burning.


Bob

jeremyb1
04-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Ozzie's overmanagement of the bullpen reminded me of someone:

:jerry

*Tinker TInker* My ears are burning.


Bob

Yeah nothing worse than putting yourself in the best position to win the game when it violates the mighty traditions of baseball.