PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mauer off to a good start

A. Cavatica
04-05-2004, 11:20 PM
Just singled to lead off the bottom of the ninth.

Previously was 0-for-1 with two walks and a run scored.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Ugh. I'm afraid of this guy taking over the role of AJ Pierzynski as the twins' official sox killer. However, as of right now, I'd rather have the sox play against the twins with mauer than a healthy prior.

npdempse
04-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Ugh. I'm afraid of this guy taking over the role of AJ Pierzynski as the twins' official sox killer. However, as of right now, I'd rather have the sox play against the twins with mauer than a healthy prior.

At least he's on my fantasy teams. :D:

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Hangar18
04-06-2004, 01:07 AM
He better be good. He better be dang good. Its kind of Unfair that the TWINS have put him in this position where he needs to make them Look Very Good now to justify Skipping The Messiah
in the draft. Very Unfair that the one who Wouldnt-Be-Anointed has to outdo everything The Messiah does, and will be compared to him for the rest of his career

Vsahajpal
04-06-2004, 02:15 AM
Heh, Joe Mauer is the last one who cares about that type of nonsense. The fact is he WILL be that good, he was easily worthy of the pick; guys with his skillset are very few and far between. He's an amazing kid, the #1 QB prospect in the nation (was offered by Florida State well before his senior season, and committed to Coach Bobby Bowden) in addition to being the #1 position player (HS or College) in the 2001 draft. I doubt the Twins care about your assertions, they're quite happy and they should be.

Hangar18
04-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Heh, Joe Mauer is the last one who cares about that type of nonsense. ..........................I doubt the Twins care about your assertions, they're quite happy and they should be.

Dont think Joe doesnt know about my assertions. the media is telling him the same thing. And if he is good, the Twins should be Happy, because theyve been quietly slammed by the Media for passing The Messiah up. The Messiah wouldve been far more important to the Twins than Mauer would. They felt the media sting, except your in Chicago, the media here isnt going to tell you something disparaging about how the cubs acquired
The Messiah

fhqwhgads
04-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Dont think Joe doesnt know about my assertions. the media is telling him the same thing. And if he is good, the Twins should be Happy, because theyve been quietly slammed by the Media for passing The Messiah up. The Messiah wouldve been far more important to the Twins than Mauer would. They felt the media sting, except your in Chicago, the media here isnt going to tell you something disparaging about how the cubs acquired
The Messiah

How did I know Hangar would bring Prior into this?? :?:

I'm pretty happy with our guy, thanks. :D:

fhqwhgads
04-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Just singled to lead off the bottom of the ninth.

Previously was 0-for-1 with two walks and a run scored.

Finished 2 for 3 with 2 walks and 2 runs scored. Not bad for a debut. I'll take an .833 OBP any day of the week.

Tekijawa
04-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads
Finished 2 for 3 with 2 walks and 2 runs scored. Not bad for a debut. I'll take a .833 OBP any day of the week.

I'd Rather have 2 more outs in the 9th inning... :D:

Vsahajpal
04-06-2004, 10:39 AM
The Messiah

Heh, of course he knows, my point is he doesn't give a rat's ass. The Twins weren't slammed for taking him; the general consensus was that there were 3 (4 if you count Floyd) players worthy of being the #1 selection, and Joe Mauer was one of them. He's a once in a decade kind of player, the fact that he was a local kid made the story that much more compelling.

The Messiah wouldve been far more important to the Twins than Mauer would.

I get the feeling that teams in the Central will disagree with you in short order.

And lastly, I'm not in Chicago.

Hangar18
04-06-2004, 10:59 AM
so Vic, your saying you DIDNT know the Media (outside chicago)
and some General Managers, Scouts and other Upper Level Mgmt types were Ridiculing the Twins the last 2 years ????? I would expect you to not hear of that, because the Chicago Media didnt care to report that here ........

thepaulbowski
04-06-2004, 11:22 AM
so Vic, your saying you DIDNT know the Media (outside chicago)
and some General Managers, Scouts and other Upper Level Mgmt types were Ridiculing the Twins the last 2 years ????? I would expect you to not hear of that, because the Chicago Media didnt care to report that here ........

Ummm... the Twins have stated many times that they wouldn't pay the signing bonus the Prior was asking for. So, why would they draft somebody with the first pick that they couldn't sign? THAT would be a foolish move that would deserve ridicule. I'm not sure why this point is still being labored over.

Vsahajpal
04-06-2004, 11:24 AM
I don't have much faith in the media, so I'm not too worried whether or not they think Joe Mauer was worthy of being the #1 pick in the draft. Had the Twins taken Mark, it is likely the Cubs would've taken Mauer instead of Teixeira. The fact is the Twins contacted Prior, Teixeira, Brazelton, and Joe on draft day in the hopes of cutting a deal. None of the prospects budged, and the Twins wound up taking the #1 player on their board, Joe Mauer. As for "upper management types, GMs, etc...," the Twins track record speaks for itself. They've won division titles and playoff series because of their ability to procure and develop young talent; add Mauer to that list.

Hangar18
04-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I don't have much faith in the media, so I'm not too worried whether or not they think Joe Mauer was worthy of being the #1 pick in the draft. Had the Twins taken Mark, it is likely the Cubs would've taken Mauer instead of Teixeira. The fact is the Twins contacted Prior, Teixeira, Brazelton, and Joe on draft day in the hopes of cutting a deal. None of the prospects budged, and the Twins wound up taking the #1 player on their board, Joe Mauer. As for "upper management types, GMs, etc...," the Twins track record speaks for itself. They've won division titles and playoff series because of their ability to procure and develop young talent; add Mauer to that list.

good answer ................ I guess, we'll have to agree to disagree

TaylorStSox
04-06-2004, 01:59 PM
I still contend the Twins made the right move with that draft pick. All this talk about them skipping on the "Messiah" is nonsense. They got a hometown kid who will be a conerstone at CATCHER. Prior would have moved on after his commitment. The chances of keeping Mauer are far greater than keeping Prior.

Excellent move by our most hated RIVAL.

duke of dorwood
04-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Twinks looked pretty much the same-Stunk against lefty pitcher, bullpen was strong, and good defense. The same winning formula they have had