PDA

View Full Version : am i imagining things ...

idseer
04-05-2004, 10:04 PM
... or is there really that large a segment here who've already thrown in the towel?

all i can say is ... with fans like these ... who needs enemies?

i'm surprised we can keep a fan site going at all!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-05-2004, 10:06 PM
You would be surprised, Id. We're converting more and more souls every day. Now, walk into the light... *be* the Sox Fan...

:smile:

SoxBoy14
04-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by idseer
... or is there really that large a segment here who've already thrown in the towel?

When we win on Wednesday all those guys will be back on track. Just stay positive and wait til Wednesday.

voodoochile
04-05-2004, 10:08 PM

You must have missed it. Days like this are huge for the site. We set records for number of posters on-line and number of posters on-line at one time and BOTH of those happened after the loss.

Sox fans know which side the bread is buttered on and it just landed on the ca't hairball - butter side down...

cheeses_h_rice
04-05-2004, 10:10 PM
I seriously doubt anyone has thrown in the towel; if the Sox win Wednesday they're back to .500.

But, you have to admit, there was a certain Cub-ness to today's loss. I recall seeing a similar meltdown at the home opener against the Tigers a few years ago, when Tony Clark hit a go-ahead granny late in the game.

I guess we'll see how these guys rebound, won't we?

beckett21
04-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You must have missed it. Days like this are huge for the site. We set records for number of posters on-line and number of posters on-line at one time and BOTH of those happened after the loss.

Guess I'll throw my hat into the ring now, considering I missed all the day's festivities, sadly. Or not. :(:

We'll get 'em Wednesday! Assuming Loaiza goes 9, of course! :D:

SoxFan76
04-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Call me crazy, but if Loaiza goes 7, Pollite pitches the 8th, I want Koch in for the 9th inning. Give him a chance to really prove himself in the closers role. For some reason Ozzie put him in as a set up role after naming him the opening day closer. Sorry, I'm a sucker for Koch. I want him to do well. But don't get me wrong, if he blows a save or two early in the season, I won't be pulling for the guy.

HaroMaster87
04-05-2004, 11:20 PM
that was my MAJOR gripe with todays game. everyone has been saying all spring (Ozzie, KW and Coop) that Botch is the closer and then in the FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON, he gets itchy and pulls him..... after a strikeout.

And didnt I hear that Marte in kinda "ouchie" and his velocity is down anyway? :?:

batmanZoSo
04-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I seriously doubt anyone has thrown in the towel; if the Sox win Wednesday they're back to .500.

But, you have to admit, there was a certain Cub-ness to today's loss. I recall seeing a similar meltdown at the home opener against the Tigers a few years ago, when Tony Clark hit a go-ahead granny late in the game.

We looked like little leaguers the first two games of 2000, then we came back and went 17-6 the rest of the month and set a major league record for runs in April.

Then in 2001, we had a great first game beating Cleveland then everything went to ####.

The 98 Yankees started of 1-3 and won 114 games. I think.

Anyway, I say who cares what happened today. The season didn't end when Koch gave up a walk off on Independence Day last year. The only thing that irritates me is we have to wait two days to play again.

Frank the Tank
04-05-2004, 11:48 PM

I'm pretty sure that everyone on this site understands that this was just one loss. I think it is only natural that people would be angry, upset, negative, etc....when the sox lose their season opener is such a depressing fashion.

I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel just yet, but even the most optimistic of sox fans have to admit this team has some serious pitching problems.

JRIG
04-05-2004, 11:52 PM
It's not throwing in the towel if you only expect the team to win 79 games, as I'm on the record as predicting.

These are just the games sub-.500 teams lose. It's not surprising, but still disappointing. I want this team to win 90+ games but I just don't think the talent is there.

pearso66
04-06-2004, 01:01 AM
I was confused when they pulled koch. Although I did figure when Marte was in, the worst that would happen is he would surrender the 2 runs on. Which is all I thought Koch would do. But Marte went 1 step further and blew it completely. Let Koch pitch, or dont. don't go half way.

Jjav829
04-06-2004, 01:46 AM

I don't see it as a negative really. I think it's part of being a diehard fan. You tend to be really high after wins and low after losses. And this wasn't just any loss.

I said this at the end of the chat today and I'll say it again. It's games like this where I wish I was more like a Cub fan where I could just shrug off the loss, say "O well, we'll get them tomorrow," and then go get blasted and forget about it.

To me that's a big part of being a diehard fan is that you don't let things like this go easily. I'd be be surprised if I came here and saw a bunch of threads saying "O well, it's only one game" with everyone else agreeing that this was one game that doesn't mean much. Some people can get over the losses a bit easier, but most fans don't take a loss like this easy.

mweflen
04-06-2004, 01:58 AM
after 87 years without a ring, we've earned the right to be so bitter and negative.

every silver lining has a cloud...

ShoelessFred
04-06-2004, 02:20 AM
wait till next year?

SSN721
04-06-2004, 07:46 AM
As much as I would like to throw in the towel, my heart wont let, I will always have a little bit of this damn optimism, that wont allow me to walk away and not let this hang so heavily on my emotions. yesterdays lost just hurt so much because of how they lost. the team looked like a changed team for the first eight innings. I guess I can use that as a positive, but know there is this stupid day off before they can redeem themselves so until then I consider this season done and over with. :(:

Nick@Nite
04-06-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
wait till next year?

It took every ounce of fiber within my being to keep me from posting that. :(:

You beat me to it. :D:

I've had my therapy... let's get Wednesday here in a hurry! :gulp:

hsnterprize
04-06-2004, 08:33 AM
You know something...if this were game 7 of the ALCS, and the Sox choked away the series the same way the Cubs chocked away the NLCS last year, I could understand the reaction. The silly thing about this reaction is that even though this was a tough loss to take, most of us are acting like this was a World Series loss instead of the first game of the season. I'm not minimizing the effect of this loss...especially compared to last year and the Cubs win over Cincinnati. But...we can't do anything about this (like Ozzie says). We can't turn back time and correct the mistakes the players/management made. We'll have to eat some crow from Cubs fans who've been itching to get back at us for how we were after their team lost in the playoffs last year, but it'll all be forgotten the first time the Sox win and the Cubs lose.

My positive attitude is not a denial of the problems the Sox face this season. It's obvious relief pitching will be a priority as well as a couple of starters (someone to replace Schoenweiss especially). But...let's look at some improvements. The offense did its job yesterday. I mean...when Paul Konerko steals a base, you know the bats were clicking. Other than Maggs and Willie doing the 0-fers, the lineup didn't do bad at all. Buehrle pitched good enough to win, so he's not someone we need to worry about. Loiaza should do well on Wednesday. And ultimately, take heart Sox fans...

:winner We'll be posting this a lot this year...starting Wednesday.

poorme
04-06-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829

To me that's a big part of being a diehard fan is that you don't let things like this go easily. I'd be be surprised if I came here and saw a bunch of threads saying "O well, it's only one game" with everyone else agreeing that this was one game that doesn't mean much. Some people can get over the losses a bit easier, but most fans don't take a loss like this easy.

Yeah. I don't get the fans who don't take this kind of thing hard. My wife couldn't figure out what was wrong with me last night. She thought I had been fired from my job!

idseer
04-06-2004, 12:24 PM
i do understand that after every game there are things to be discussed. what i DON'T understand is that the things i see discussed after the 1st game of the season is that maybe we should trade magglio now ... our bullpen is the worst in sox history ... we have to replace harris now (even tho i'm not a big harris fan i don't believe you can tell diddly after one stinking game), etc!

i have a personal rule of thumb i try to use every year. try to keep from getting too high or too low until the team has played 20 games. only then (generally)can you really start to see weakspots and strengths. try to NOT call for anyone's head until we are in to the season a little bit. as many have pointed out here, great teams have gotten off to bad starts and vice versa.

to the staff:
yes i realize attendance here was up after the game. but it would have been nicer if it wasn't mostly :whiner: 's

CubKilla
04-06-2004, 12:28 PM
i realize attendance here was up after the game. but it would have been nicer if it wasn't mostly :whiner: 's

Sox fans should have written off the negatives and only expounded on the positives!

UGH!

Palehose13
04-06-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
cheese, I think this point is HUGE and may set the tone for the season.

starboy0
04-06-2004, 12:49 PM
I agree with Frank the Tank... most of us haven't thrown in the towel it was just a matter of being kicked in the gut with a heartbreaking loss and coming here to vent.