PDA

View Full Version : So, yeah, it's "just one game," but...

cheeses_h_rice
04-05-2004, 09:58 PM
...it's also one of those rare games where the Sox blew a SURE WIN and gave the other team a miraculous, come-from-behind victory. To my mind, this means the Sox are already down in the count -- in order to win the division, the Sox need to win a certain percentage more of these close games than anyone else. Playoff teams often make their own luck. So far, the Sox are 0-1 in doing so.

IA_soxfan
04-05-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
...it's also one of those rare games where the Sox blew a SURE WIN and gave the other team a miraculous, come-from-behind victory. To my mind, this means the Sox are already down in the count -- in order to win the division, the Sox need to win a certain percentage more of these close games than anyone else. Playoff teams often make their own luck. So far, the Sox are 0-1 in doing so.

Agreed. This is also one of those games that can really get a player down. Sheesh, its only opening day and my bullpen fears are proving worthwhile.

cheeses_h_rice
04-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by IA_soxfan
Agreed. This is also one of those games that can really get a player down. Sheesh, its only opening day and my bullpen fears are proving worthwhile.

What worries me the most is that I thought our bullpen (along with the core of our offense) was the Sox's strongest suit. Yikes!

SoxBoy14
04-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Marte was injured right? Why did Ozzie put him in there?

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-05-2004, 10:09 PM
I agree. It's never good to lose on opening day like this. It's okay if you lose, but when you blow a lead like that in the bottom of the 9th, it's just bad for the team. Politte and Koch both showed flashes, and I think they'll be alright. However, Marte wasn't too hot in ST and it showed today. It wasn't all his fault(but I'm not putting the blame on koch) he had a few runners on base and most of the time, you're bound to give up some runs. It was just bad because he gave up the runs in the form of home runs.

RKMeibalane
04-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Today's game was a disaster. What's particularly frustrating is that the Sox had control of the game for eight innings, and then the **** hit then fan. Billy Koch appears to be the same pitcher he was last season, which is reason enough for him to remain on the bench.

Polite pitched well, but Ozzie made a mistake leaving him in. If nothing else, I think Ozzie may make a lot of mistakes like this, because it's his first year. That's not really something anyone can control. I'm hoping that he'll get better at managing the bullpen as time goes on.

I have no complaints about the offense. Everybody contributed, which is exactly what any manager would like to see. Guillen has already done a better job manufacturing runs than Manuel did. I thought his decision to put Konerko in motion was hiliarious, and it threw the Royals off balance.

The Sox have two days to think about this one, and then they get back out there on Wednesday. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

DannyCaterFan
04-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Altough Ozzie made the right offensive moves in this game, his one mistake is one that even ole Jerry Manual would not have made. He left Politte in there to start the ninth inning. Granted, he had been pitching well, but almost every manager in baseball would have opened the ninth inning with his closer in that situation. It was opening day, and you don't want to ignite an inning that could and did lead to losing the game. What a shame. Oh well, let's go win the next 5 and we can forget about this one.

A. Cavatica
04-05-2004, 10:23 PM
This game is no big deal. What matters is how the team responds.

Sox teams of recent vintage blew leads in big games, then lay down and died. Sox teams of recent vintage loafed through month after month of the season. Jerry Manuel was to blame for that; he was patient when he should've raised hell and tinkered when he should've let things be.

Since Ozzie was hired to change exactly that, we have an almost miraculous opportunity to evaluate him fairly and rapidly. If the Sox play hard and well for nine innings, win or lose, we can get on with the season.

But if the Sox have another bad loss on Wednesday, or get laughed out of Yankee stadium, Ozzie has already failed.

HawkDJ
04-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
What worries me the most is that I thought our bullpen (along with the core of our offense) was the Sox's strongest suit. Yikes!

Our bullpen has blown a lead in the first one or two games of the season for 3 straight years now. The past two years our bullpen turned into strengths, minus some closer rotating here and there. (remember how everyone wanted Tom Gordon out of here at the beginning of last year?). Wait and see how it goes.

Although, I am a bit worried about Marte. He doesn't seem right.

jeremyb1
04-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
This game is no big deal. What matters is how the team responds.

Sox teams of recent vintage blew leads in big games, then lay down and died. Sox teams of recent vintage loafed through month after month of the season. Jerry Manuel was to blame for that; he was patient when he should've raised hell and tinkered when he should've let things be.

Since Ozzie was hired to change exactly that, we have an almost miraculous opportunity to evaluate him fairly and rapidly. If the Sox play hard and well for nine innings, win or lose, we can get on with the season.

But if the Sox have another bad loss on Wednesday, or get laughed out of Yankee stadium, Ozzie has already failed.

My thoughts exactly. Low morale should not be considered an excuse to pin losing streaks on with Ozzie around. That's the reason he was brought in and and what he favors to accel at. I personally believe the mental aspect is incredibly overexaggerated but if it is critical it shouldn't be the reason we're losing this season.

jeremyb1
04-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Today's game was a disaster. What's particularly frustrating is that the Sox had control of the game for eight innings, and then the **** hit then fan. Billy Koch appears to be the same pitcher he was last season, which is reason enough for him to remain on the bench.

Polite pitched well, but Ozzie made a mistake leaving him in. If nothing else, I think Ozzie may make a lot of mistakes like this, because it's his first year. That's not really something anyone can control. I'm hoping that he'll get better at managing the bullpen as time goes on.

I have no complaints about the offense. Everybody contributed, which is exactly what any manager would like to see. Guillen has already done a better job manufacturing runs than Manuel did. I thought his decision to put Konerko in motion was hiliarious, and it threw the Royals off balance.

The Sox have two days to think about this one, and then they get back out there on Wednesday. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Is there a reason leaving Politte in was a bad decision other than the fact that we lost? 20 pitches is not so much that it demands removing a pitcher from the game. Even if you buy that you have to have one pitcher as your closer and have him pitch the 9th in close games 1) just because Koch has the label closer that doesn't assure him of pitching well 2) it wasn't a save situation as we were up four runs to start the inning. Few managers always bring their closer in for the ninth in non-save situations.

A. Cavatica
04-05-2004, 10:45 PM
At least Ozzie was on the Marlins last year...seeing them get trampled by the Red Sox in that one game (where Johnny Damon had three hits in an inning) and then shrugging it off.

We hired him to have that effect on us.

A. Cavatica
04-05-2004, 10:47 PM
I had no problem leaving Politte in with a four run lead. I did have a problem with letting him walk the first two guys.

depy48
04-05-2004, 10:52 PM
yeah, but i'd rather see the sox blow games now then sometimes in september during a playoff push. even though if they keep on blowing games they wont be in any playoff picture...but i think koch is a fine closer!

RKMeibalane
04-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Is there a reason leaving Politte in was a bad decision other than the fact that we lost? 20 pitches is not so much that it demands removing a pitcher from the game. Even if you buy that you have to have one pitcher as your closer and have him pitch the 9th in close games 1) just because Koch has the label closer that doesn't assure him of pitching well 2) it wasn't a save situation as we were up four runs to start the inning. Few managers always bring their closer in for the ninth in non-save situations.

I thought Polite pitched well. It just seemed like he fell apart in the ninth inning. I don't know what his workload was like in Toronto. He may be the type of pitcher who's effective for only one inning of work, much like Gordon was last season.

Bisco Stu
04-05-2004, 11:21 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/baseball/mlb/img7234273.jpg

batmanZoSo
04-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/baseball/mlb/img7234273.jpg

/\ Harris woulda caught that...

SoxxoS
04-06-2004, 12:32 AM
Is this one of those 40 games that decide your season...you know...you are going to win 60 and lose 60, it's the 40 games that make or break you...is this one of them?

batmanZoSo
04-06-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Is this one of those 40 games that decide your season...you know...you are going to win 60 and lose 60, it's the 40 games that make or break you...is this one of them?

Yes.

So far I guess we're 60-61.

MRKARNO
04-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Well if we lose the division by one game, then we can all point to this game. If we win or lose by 5 or more, it wont've mattered much...

CubKilla
04-06-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Definitely. This is a game the White Sox should have won.

santo=dorf
04-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Mark Buehrle pitched a great game and now that all goes down the crapper because of the bullpen. Sportscenter just call it the "Comeback of the Century." Thank you bullpen!

pearso66
04-06-2004, 01:14 AM
I put the blame squarly on my shoulders. I got out of class right as the bottom of the 9th began, and well, the rest is history

Seriously though, I did get out of class right as it started, or a little after, I was watching it on espn via my phone. But I don't think we can write anyoen off yet. Koch doesnt prove anything that he's like last year, he came in and gave up a double, which wouldnt have hurt had it been the beginning of the inning, and an out. You can't always keep runners on base in that situation, especially when there are no outs and 2 on. I think he should have faced at least Stairs, if he gievs up the hit, then sub. Thats what I was thinking all along. I figured the most that would score are those 2 on 2nd and 3rd, but then Marte came in and blew up. I am very upset, but I'm not gonna let it ruin my night, or my day tomorrow, and I will be excited come Wednesday when game 2 starts.

santo=dorf
04-06-2004, 01:19 AM
More great news, the Sox are part of MLB history~! They are the first team in 103 years to blow a lead of at least 4 runs in the ninth inning on opening day.