PDA

View Full Version : The Silver Lining


jeremyb1
04-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Assuming he's being truthful, at least Marte is healthy:

"I felt good," he said. "I just missed my spots. It happens. It's never happened to me before on opening day so it's a surprise. But I have to take it."

With Hawk and DJ commenting about his low velocity, a mention of health issues in the Sun Times I can't locate, and his uncharacteristically bad performance, I was concerned Marte might be injured. As long as he feels alright, I'm not nearly as upset as everyone else is about this loss. If you a pitcher as good as Marte in with the game on the line there's not a lot more you can do than say, "he'll get 'em next time." Unless you're Eric Gagne you ussually blow at least one game over the course of a season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240405107

poorme
04-05-2004, 08:13 PM
I can't believe he's 100% after what I just witnessed.

MikeW
04-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Wow, What a tough loss,but if your a Sox fan you get used to these kind of losses. Rooting since the 1960's I have come accustomed to these awful defeats. I also know that when these games are lost in this kind of fashion, the Sox don't usually rebound. But Wednesday is another day and we'll get back on track again. I'll be seeing them Friday and Saturday in New York so I hope better days are coming. I'll take Marte any day of the week, the guy is dependable.

soxnut
04-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Bill Melton metnioned that Marte did not pitch alot this spring. I can see this as a reason as to why he didn't have it today. Fine, he didn't have it today. I know he's a good pitcher and he'll be ready to go. Maybe he should throw a little more on the side just to get his stuff going.

SoxxoS
04-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Saying and being healthy is two different things...didn't Baldwin and Parque say that they had major shoulder pain towards the end of the 2000 season, but we're just trying to pitch through it?

Marte didn't have the same snap he usually does on his pitches today. I just pray it isn't injury.

That Takatsu signing is meaning more and more...

ma-gaga
04-05-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
That Takatsu signing is meaning more and more...

um... What exactly do you expect from Takatsu this year?

record, era, whip. I'm really curious.

SoxxoS
04-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
um... What exactly do you expect from Takatsu this year?

record, era, whip. I'm really curious.

I am not expecting much. He hasn't shown anything, and done nothing to prove he can get major league hitters out.

I don't know about record...hopefully not too many decisions.

ERA-Something around 3.50 would be great.
WHIP around 1.15-1.30 would be OK.

We may need him to close, but he first needs to prove he can get hitters out. Billy Koch is an ABSOLUTE DISASTER. Nothing has changed with him. He doesn't deserve to close, and that job will be taken away soon enough. The way Marte pitched today, who would be the most obvious closer replacement...who knows now? He could be injured...etc.

All of a sudden, it's between Takatsu and Politte...

Hangar18
04-05-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Assuming he's being truthful, at least Marte is healthy:



With Hawk and DJ commenting about his low velocity, a mention of health issues in the Sun Times I can't locate, and his uncharacteristically bad performance, I was concerned Marte might be injured. As long as he feels alright, I'm not nearly as upset as everyone else is about this loss. If you a pitcher as good as Marte in with the game on the line there's not a lot more you can do than say, "he'll get 'em next time." Unless you're Eric Gagne you ussually blow at least one game over the course of a season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240405107

You know what, I watched him Pitch, and Marte just Didnt Look Right Today. Im Very Fearful he may be nursing an Injury........
This is exactly how Wunsch looked in StLouis a couple yrs ago before he quickly went on the DL. It may not be serious, but he just didnt look right. I think you should change the TITLE of this thread if were going to talk about possible injury to Marte. BUT, if there was a Silver Lining, FRANK and PAULIE Looked Very Good. Konerko looked Very Fit and in Shape oddly enough, not like last year, he looks much smoother and fluid

Hangar18
04-05-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Bill Melton metnioned that Marte did not pitch alot this spring. I can see this as a reason as to why he didn't have it today. Fine, he didn't have it today. I know he's a good pitcher and he'll be ready to go. Maybe he should throw a little more on the side just to get his stuff going.

This is a Good Point Man, but now begs the question. Is he just a bit rusty, and just needs a couple games to shake the Cobwebs off? Or were the SOX taking a page out of the Cubs book and Hiding Marte on purpose all Spring because he was nursing an injury??

jeremyb1
04-06-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
You know what, I watched him Pitch, and Marte just Didnt Look Right Today. Im Very Fearful he may be nursing an Injury........
This is exactly how Wunsch looked in StLouis a couple yrs ago before he quickly went on the DL. It may not be serious, but he just didnt look right. I think you should change the TITLE of this thread if were going to talk about possible injury to Marte. BUT, if there was a Silver Lining, FRANK and PAULIE Looked Very Good. Konerko looked Very Fit and in Shape oddly enough, not like last year, he looks much smoother and fluid

Well yeah, I was saying that the silver lining in his performance was that apparently he's not hurt. If this is just the one game abberation it appears to be then I'm not so concerned. However, I think our pen is average at best with Marte in top form. If he has some type of problem I don't know how we can win games without someone else coming out of nowhere to step up big time in the pen.