PDA

View Full Version : If we're going to be bad.....

balboner
04-05-2004, 08:35 PM
I'd rather the Sox are out of the race before July so that they can trade Ordonez and/or Loaiza and get some top prospects for them. One of the worst things to happen to the Sox last year (in retrospect) is that they were in the race towards the end of the year. Therefore, we were not able to get anything for Colon, Gordon, etc. Of course, I'd rather that the Sox win the whole damn thing.

Bucktown
04-05-2004, 09:35 PM
please SHUT UP.

balboner
04-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Nice response. So you'd rather the Sox go 79-83, and finish 8 games out and did not get anything for Loaiza and Ordonez, two guys that are most likely leaving after this year?

PaleHoseGeorge
04-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Never fear! I'll be doing faith healings next month inside the South Bend Century Center.

Now, go out and do good work...

voodoochile
04-05-2004, 10:00 PM
:KW
"JR, do we actually have to wait until the team officially sucks before we trade those guys?"

:reinsy
"What do you think, Kenny?"

:hawk
"I luuuuuuv prospects and so should all the fans. Thank you very much, Mr. Reinsdorf, can we have another?"

kittle42
04-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by balboner
I'd rather the Sox are out of the race before July so that they can trade Ordonez and/or Loaiza and get some top prospects for them. One of the worst things to happen to the Sox last year (in retrospect) is that they were in the race towards the end of the year. Therefore, we were not able to get anything for Colon, Gordon, etc. Of course, I'd rather that the Sox win the whole damn thing.

If you had posted this *before* the first game, or any time during the offseason (and maybe you did - I don't remember everyone's posts), then I would give it some consideration.

But if you are posting this simply as a reaction to one game where the pen just totally blew it in the 9th, then really, you should wait a while.

CubKilla
04-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
:KW
"JR, do we actually have to wait until the team officially sucks before we trade those guys?"

"What do you think, Kenny?"

:hawk
"I luuuuuuv prospects and so should all the fans. Thank you very much, Mr. Reinsdorf, can we have another?"

That post reminds me entirely too much of Hawk trying to rationalize the '97 White Flag Trade. If those responses weren't so close to the probable truth, I'd be laughing.

CubKilla
04-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
please SHUT UP.

Why? Even though it may be an overreaction to yesterday's kick in the nuts, it's a legitimate concern.

Iwritecode
04-06-2004, 01:07 PM

What makes you think Maggs would stay even if the Sox did win the whole damn thing?

From what I keep hearing, it's going to take $$$ to keep him around next year. I'm not entirely convinced that even a WS ring would inspire JR to spend any...

Iwritecode
04-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
What makes you think Maggs would stay even if the Sox did win the whole damn thing?

From what I keep hearing, it's going to take $$$ to keep him around next year. I'm not entirely convinced that even a WS ring would inspire JR to spend any...

OR that he will match whatever NY offers Maggs next year either...

voodoochile
04-06-2004, 01:09 PM

On the contrary, it would convince him he was right all along and he would probably say something like...

"WOOHOO! Eat that Sox fans, you pathetic bunch of whiny LOSERS! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN!" (JR walks off the podium raising the roof)

CubKilla
04-06-2004, 01:10 PM

I'd hate to lose Maggs under any circumstances. If we lost him though after winning a WS, I could deal with it.

habibharu
04-06-2004, 02:24 PM

i couldnt agree with you more my friend!!

sas1974
04-06-2004, 02:29 PM
So let me get this straight...

You'd rather be out of contention in July so we can trade away our best players as opposed to the excitement of going down to the wire in a pennant race in September?

Please tell me this is some kind of joke.

If this is what you a hoping for the team that you support, please do me a favor and pick another team to root for this season.

CubKilla
04-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
You'd rather be out of contention in July so we can trade away our best players as opposed to the excitement of going down to the wire in a pennant race in September?

Gimme the excitement of "going down to the wire in a pennant race in September" and coming up short just like last season then the Sox will lose any players that are FA's come season's end.

Being an optimist is one thing..... if you're a Yankees fan. Being an optimist when you are a White Sox fan is another.

Fact of the matter is if Maggs isn't signed by season's end, he gone..... along with any other FA worth diddly-squat. And what will the White Sox get? ZERO, ZILCH, NADA. Then where does "going down to the wire leave you?"

"It leaves me with more money for '05!"

sas1974
04-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
[B]Gimme the excitement of "going down to the wire in a pennant race in September" and coming up short just like last season then the Sox will lose any players that are FA's come season's end.

Being an optimist is one thing..... if you're a Yankees fan. Being an optimist when you are a White Sox fan is another.

Fact of the matter is if Maggs isn't signed by season's end, he gone..... along with any other FA worth diddly-squat. And what will the White Sox get? ZERO, ZILCH, NADA. Then where does "going down to the wire leave you?"[B]

I have an idea...why don't we just trade Maggs and Loaiza now? Why bother playing any of these games?

That's why they play the games. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. If we knew that we were going to come up short, then sure let's unload some people. But who knows that? Apparently the 30,000 people that were coming out to the games down the stretch to support their team last year didn't know that either. In fact, the last time someone in this town thought that they knew that we weren't going to make the playoffs down the stretch, people wanted him drawn and quartered(myself included).

Let me refresh some memories around here for those of you that may have forgotten already. Does 1997 ring a bell? I remember how happy everybody was then when we traded for some prospects then.

If the Sox would have traded away players last year, this website would have blown up from all of the people posting nasty messages.

Just missing the playoffs sux, but I would rather compete and give it a shot with the possibility of making it than just give up.