PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Venting Thread

Viva Magglio
04-05-2004, 07:30 PM
I got out of work at 4:00 today and turned on the car radio to find that we are winning 7-3. Great! I'm happy on the way home and in a really good mood!!! I figure we'd hold that lead late in the ballgame. We usually do against anybody (or did).

If we had to lose that game today, couldn't we have just give up 10 runs in the first inning? This is the most important damn game of the season as far as I'm concerned, and we picked the worst possible way to lose it! This could blow our whole ***damn season!!!! Of the 30 teams in baseball, why do we have to be the one that gets kicked in the balls all the time. Not even dead dog teams like the Reds or the Rangers get kicked in the balls more than we do!!! We have been White Sox fans long enough to know that a week of corpseball follows a loss like this. ****, this one will probably be followed by two weeks of corpseball!!!!!!!! How the **** could a team blow a ***damn four run ****ing lead in the ninth inning! HUH!!!!!!!!

I only heard one minute of Mike North (if that) after the game ended. That ***hole was blaming Ozzie Guillen for blowing the game. Now I have not read the other game-related posts here yet and do not know what percentage of you are blaming Guillen for the loss. However, since that p**** on the radio seems to know everything, I propose that we fire Ozzie tonight and install North as the new manager. That way, a 161-1 regular season is guaranteed!!! Because that ****head North and the rest of the media are omnipotent in their own collective mind, you know they are incapable of error in any possible way!!! The more I observe the media, the more convinced that they are a bunch of dumb*****! I dare any media member who reads WSI to defend their profession. BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!

I will not blame Ozzie for this one. Had this happened under Jerry Manuel, I probably would not have blamed him either. I blamed Manuel for other things, but I cannot blame any manager for dumbass relief pitchers who can't get men out. I blame Koch and Marte for this debacle, not Guillen.

Our beloved White Sox ruined my whole damn day. They go out and blow a game like that, and they have the nerve to wonder why we are so pessismistic.

Jerko
04-05-2004, 07:42 PM
I think we're extra pessimistic today because all offseason we knew the bullpen was gonna be iffy, and for it to implode like that in the first game just magnifies things.

Frank the Tank
04-05-2004, 07:54 PM
We are officially: "The suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked"

jeremyb1
04-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I think we're extra pessimistic today because all offseason we knew the bullpen was gonna be iffy, and for it to implode like that in the first game just magnifies things.

Agreed. Politte pitched well for the most part, he just lost his mechanics and couldn't locate the plate in the 9th. Unless Marte's health is in question, I wouldn't worry too much about his outing today. In some respects it might be nice to get a rough outing like that from him out of the way.

As far as venting goes, the only thing I'm real upset about is that the game was supposed to be the highlight of my day today. I skipped class, ordered a pizza, and locked myself in the room.
Watching Buehrle get out dueled or something I probably could've handled better. As it is I finished the game with the feeling I'd wasted a lot of time especially now that I have tons of work to do this evening. My day definitely suffered from the outcome.

Malgar 12
04-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Amen! Brothers!

SoxFan76
04-05-2004, 08:11 PM
I am still so pissed right now. I don't want to listen to any radio goofs, but this is so frustrating. 7-3!!!!!! Good Lord. I was about to say I'm done complaining, but this is a Venting thread, so I'm not done. I was pulling for that schmuck Koch, and he can't pull through. Pollite looked good, but Ozzie made his first mistake as a manager by leaving him in too long. I wanted to see Takatsu. Then that son of a ***** Marte, our only reliable BP guy, can't put away the game. Inexcusable. This is ridiculous. I know there are 161 to go still, but this was a big game that EASILY could have been won.

Fungo
04-05-2004, 08:24 PM
What makes my stomache turn most is that is such a devistating loss so early in the season. Kinda like a...Here we go again....

That hurt today.

Wsoxmike59
04-05-2004, 08:27 PM
This was about as tough of a loss that I can ever remember. I am not blaming Ozzie however, except for leaving Politte in to start the 9th. That was a mistake IMHO.

Marte was the goat plain and simple. This really is going to be a hard one to regroup from because of the day off tomorrow. It gives us too much time to think about it.

I'm stunned and still in the state of shock from the 9th inning. Definitely bumming and got way too much time until the next game.

JGarlandrules20
04-05-2004, 08:39 PM
This was horrible news. I was shocked.

I didn't get to watch the game, I had a softball game myself(which I hit very crappy..might I add) and as soon as it was over I ran up to my dad and asked if the Sox won. He was like "Last I heard they were up 7-2" And I'm all "sweeeet!".. and then I come home and find out this. Just makes my day worse. It's only the first game, and it was a horrible way to lose it but we really can't be that critical.

duke of dorwood
04-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Listening to some here, I broke a commuter train ride home record as I was on the train for the whole season.

So is this going to be a month of undefined roles as in the past?

A. Cavatica
04-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Hey Tanko, what would've happened if Guillen had left Politte in?

:D:

A. Cavatica
04-05-2004, 08:52 PM
I didn't see the game on TV. I've been dying to see whether Ozzie can manage pitchers. Obviously he has the wrong guys on his staff and had them in the game at the wrong times, but what about more subtle things?

How did Ozzie look in the ninth? Did he send Cooper to the mound at all to settle down any pitchers? Did he make the pitching changes decisively? Did he keep the rah-rah attitude the whole game, or did he look scared?

And will he knock down a couple of KC hitters tomorrow...?

Shoeless Joe
04-05-2004, 08:55 PM
This was certainly a tough loss to take but I didn't take it as a devastating loss. It's opening day. We got Loaiza pitching next so hopefully he can get us a complete game shutout come Wednesday. As for Marte, he stunk today, plain and simple. He couldn't find the strike zone at all and when he did he laid it right down the middle. If you give up two home runs like that then you're an idiot. I think Ozzie learned a valuable lesson today, after all he's a rookie manager, so in the end this should end up benefiting the Sox as a learning experience.

Well now that I'm done ranting I can watch some NCAA Championship programming.

poorme
04-05-2004, 08:57 PM
This is probably the worst regular season loss in 20+ years. A total disaster. KW should be shot for putting that pen together.

chisox06
04-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Im so pissed right now. Out of all the question marks we all discussed during the season, the main concern comes back and bites us real hard. I mean talk about putting an exclamation point on the weakness of this team. However, I dont blame Ozzie, its really easy to judge after you see the outcome, but I thought he played it as logically as he could, and obviously baseball can be one of the most illogical games.

Yea I know it's the first game and blah blah blah, but as of right now I have no confidence in this team at all. I don't care, if your bullpen cant hold a 4 run lead in the LAST ****ING inning it doesn't matter when that happens, you've got a serious problem. As of right now the thought of this team competing for a division title is laughable. Their gonna have to prove something in New York or its toilet town for the southside.

Another kick in the crotch for the WhiteSox, this was one of the biggest implosions I can remember in a very long time, and of course, in typical WhiteSox fashion, we kick the new year off with this discusting display of crappiness. AND now I got a whole day to sit and dwell on this crap! :angry: :angry: :angry:

pudge
04-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica

How did Ozzie look in the ninth? Did he send Cooper to the mound at all to settle down any pitchers? Did he make the pitching changes decisively? Did he keep the rah-rah attitude the whole game, or did he look scared?

And will he knock down a couple of KC hitters tomorrow...?

He looked really scared after Pollitte walked the first guy - he turned to Coop, and Coop shook his head, then Pollitte walked another guy...

Then he goes to Koch and looked ill when Santiago hit the double (which by the way was such a meatball, Koch should be released immediately, he sucks so bad).

Marte actually didn't pitch that bad - he sort of got squeezed by the ump, and when he threw one over, they clobbered him.

Basically, first major mistake by Ozzie leaving Pollitte in - I was shocked to see him start the 9th. I was thinking a four-run lead would be a great chance for someone like Koch or Takatsu to get some confidence by finishing off a game. Who knows, any move could have backfired, but Ozzie's choice was obviously not the right one.

A. Cavatica
04-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by poorme
This is probably the worst regular season loss in 20+ years.

Oh come on, that's absolutely ridiculous.

It's no worse than one of the several devastating losses the Sox suffer every year. Last year we were just as bad in the opening series. And how about regular season wins -- the Paniagua affair last year was even worse than this loss!

A. Cavatica
04-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by pudge
He looked really scared after Pollitte walked the first guy - he turned to Coop, and Coop shook his head, then Pollitte walked another guy...

Then he goes to Koch and looked ill when Santiago hit the double (which by the way was such a meatball, Koch should be released immediately, he sucks so bad).

Marte actually didn't pitch that bad - he sort of got squeezed by the ump, and when he threw one over, they clobbered him.

Basically, first major mistake by Ozzie leaving Pollitte in - I was shocked to see him start the 9th. I was thinking a four-run lead would be a great chance for someone like Koch or Takatsu to get some confidence by finishing off a game. Who knows, any move could have backfired, but Ozzie's choice was obviously not the right one.

Not what I wanted to hear.

This is why the Sox should have hired Ozzie to manage...

...in Birmingham, and Wally Backman to manage in Chicago.

Daver
04-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Not what I wanted to hear.

This is why the Sox should have hired Ozzie to manage...

...in Birmingham, and Wally Backman to manage in Chicago.

You have got to be kidding me....

Neither one of them is fit to manage an MLB team at this point.

KingXerxes
04-05-2004, 09:27 PM
I had meetings all day so I wasn't able to listen to too much of the game. I managed to sign on here once or twice, but as soon as I did, I had to go so I wasn't even able to keep up with the score. Last I had heard it was 7-2, and then I walk back in my office later and see they lost - what a killer.

I don't blame Guillen for this one, but that kind of easy for me because I didn't see the inning. That being said however, we're now goinbg to get a taste of how this guy can handle a club. No doubt it was a very dissappointing loss, and I'm dying to see how he handles it.

p.s. - My brother also told me that at some point in the ninth inning Guillen was yelling at Pollitte. Does anybody have any insight on this or is my brother telling tales?

oldcomiskey
04-05-2004, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pudge

Oh please----that ball was inside and maybe even out of the strike zone--santiago just did a good job of keeping it fair

row18
04-05-2004, 09:38 PM
I hope this embarrassment to a main division rival wakes everyone up. From here on out, they should know that no lead is Guaranteed.

A. Cavatica
04-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Neither one of them is fit to manage an MLB team at this point.

Maybe. Backman was the best of the candidates, but it wasn't a great bunch. Gaston certainly wouldn't have been right.

It's interesting the Red Sox went for Terry Francona. His track record was just terrible in Philly, and I didn't want any part of him. He has a lot to work with in Boston, so he's going to bear the brunt if that team doesn't get to the WS.

Whitesox029
04-05-2004, 09:55 PM
I think we should all cool our jets. One game is one game. Anyone who thought we were going to get through a whole season without a few bullpen implosions isn't enough of a pessimist to be a sox fan. We get over them, and we ought to get over this one. I just hope that time comes on Wednesday.

A manager can make all his decisions correctly, and Ozzie may or may not have today, I'll let you argue that point out. But the true test of a manager is the ability to keep his team's morale as high as possible and to help them get through a tough loss. Tough losses happen; we just got unlucky enough that it was the first game. The Sox who show up on wednesday depend on how Ozzie handles this in the clubhouse. If it were me, I'd give an encouraging pep talk and make sure the guys know that they played well today (with the exception of the pen). If that's the lineup that shows up every day for the Sox this season, scoring 7 times on 12 hits, I'll be really happy, and so should Ozzie.

HaroMaster87
04-05-2004, 10:02 PM
freakin' Ozzie....If you are soooo jumpy to want to use Marte, use him BEFORE Koch. DONT tell Botch he's your closer and then pull him out for Marte IN THE FIRST GAME!!!!!!

Geeeeeez...I got this to look forward to all season????

Oh well, maybe when we trade Mags KW will get someone who can actually get someone out for the bullpen....

southsidegirl
04-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by JGarlandrules20
This was horrible news. I was shocked.

I didn't get to watch the game, I had a softball game myself(which I hit very crappy..might I add) and as soon as it was over I ran up to my dad and asked if the Sox won. He was like "Last I heard they were up 7-2" And I'm all "sweeeet!".. and then I come home and find out this. Just makes my day worse. It's only the first game, and it was a horrible way to lose it but we really can't be that critical.

That was how it was for me, only with track. I walked to the car and my mom looked pissed so I was all "uh oh". As soon as I got on she started venting. I should go get her and let her do the venting. She was almost as pissed as me......Anyway, there were two women in a car being very upset. I can just picture that image in my mind.

For the most part, I really like Marte, he's one of the best lefty relievers in the league. I was so pissed today though. I was pissed at things that even had nothing to do with baseball. I'm over it now, I can only vent when I'm really mad, not 4 hours after I'm really mad.

jcirish85
04-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Maybe. Backman was the best of the candidates, but it wasn't a great bunch. Gaston certainly wouldn't have been right.

It's interesting the Red Sox went for Terry Francona. His track record was just terrible in Philly, and I didn't want any part of him. He has a lot to work with in Boston, so he's going to bear the brunt if that team doesn't get to the WS.

Its interesting that the best team in baseball selected him to be the manager but the White Sox, who are about the 17th best, didn't

chisox56
04-05-2004, 10:17 PM
The hitting was good for the most part, but what about crede going 0-4 and leaving 4 men on base.

SoxBoy14
04-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by HaroMaster87
freakin' Ozzie....If you are soooo jumpy to want to use Marte, use him BEFORE Koch. DONT tell Botch he's your closer and then pull him out for Marte IN THE FIRST GAME!!!!!!

Oh well, maybe when we trade Mags KW will get someone who can actually get someone out for the bullpen....

no one should be griping after the first game

I think that ozzie did good for his first game. He used the hit and run very well. We cant blame him for putting Marte in. No one expected out best releiver to give up 2 major homeruns.

kevingrt
04-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I got out of work at 4:00 today and turned on the car radio to find that we are winning 7-3. Great! I'm happy on the way home and in a really good mood!!! I figure we'd hold that lead late in the ballgame. We usually do against anybody (or did).

If we had to lose that game today, couldn't we have just give up 10 runs in the first inning? This is the most important damn game of the season as far as I'm concerned, and we picked the worst possible way to lose it! This could blow our whole ***damn season!!!! Of the 30 teams in baseball, why do we have to be the one that gets kicked in the balls all the time. Not even dead dog teams like the Reds or the Rangers get kicked in the balls more than we do!!! We have been White Sox fans long enough to know that a week of corpseball follows a loss like this. ****, this one will probably be followed by two weeks of corpseball!!!!!!!! How the **** could a team blow a ***damn four run ****ing lead in the ninth inning! HUH!!!!!!!!

I only heard one minute of Mike North (if that) after the game ended. That ***hole was blaming Ozzie Guillen for blowing the game. Now I have not read the other game-related posts here yet and do not know what percentage of you are blaming Guillen for the loss. However, since that p**** on the radio seems to know everything, I propose that we fire Ozzie tonight and install North as the new manager. That way, a 161-1 regular season is guaranteed!!! Because that ****head North and the rest of the media are omnipotent in their own collective mind, you know they are incapable of error in any possible way!!! The more I observe the media, the more convinced that they are a bunch of dumb*****! I dare any media member who reads WSI to defend their profession. BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!

I will not blame Ozzie for this one. Had this happened under Jerry Manuel, I probably would not have blamed him either. I blamed Manuel for other things, but I cannot blame any manager for dumbass relief pitchers who can't get men out. I blame Koch and Marte for this debacle, not Guillen.

Our beloved White Sox ruined my whole damn day. They go out and blow a game like that, and they have the nerve to wonder why we are so pessismistic.

I can't agree with you mroe this is the most important game so far because it's the only game we've played. :D:

It is fairly important though but if we can come back and take two we should be fine. It's gonna be tough though...

All I can do after this one is chuckle :D: and drink :gulp:

mike squires
04-05-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by HaroMaster87

My guess the reason they pulled Koch was to counter with the pinch hitter Stairs who is a lefty. I agree with another poster, if Koch is your closer you have to bring him in in the ninth and let him gain some confidence...especially with a 4 run lead. You should not have to use 3 pitchers in the last inning of a 4 run lead.

Nard
04-06-2004, 12:01 AM
"It's okay, we'll get 'em back on Wednesday"

"It's a 2-game series"

"It's not the end of the world"

All these wonderful self-help quotes are for when you get blown out and lose by 10+.

I'm going to pray to God tonight to take my back in time so the Sox can get blown out by 10+, 'cause that would be a helluva lot better than what actually happened.

It IS the end of the world.

HaroMaster87
04-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
My guess the reason they pulled Koch was to counter with the pinch hitter Stairs who is a lefty. I agree with another poster, if Koch is your closer you have to bring him in in the ninth and let him gain some confidence...especially with a 4 run lead. You should not have to use 3 pitchers in the last inning of a 4 run lead.

That was exactly my point (maybe I didn't state it too well). If Botch is your closer then LEAVE HIM IN! Or dont tell everyone that he is....

CubKilla
04-06-2004, 12:23 AM
New manager but similar '01, '02, and '03 results. "It's only one game" is a moniker a loser uses. You don't lose games like this, plain and simple.

Sure Marte had, easily, his worst day in a White Sox uniform. And it seems that if Botch is indeed ready to assume the closers role, it will be vintage Botch..... a save situation where no lead is comfortable. Politte looked good till the 9th. Fact of the matter though is, even before today, I have posted that this BP is terrible. This little fact will be magnified come games where Mr. Schoenweiss, for one, pitches.

Similar '01, '02, and '03 results.

Mark Buehrle didn't have his best stuff but definitely pitched well enough for the win. "The BP grasped defeat from the jaws of victory," Willsy said. I couldn't have said it better.

After today's loss, something I never considered suddenly hit me. Maybe this White Sox team isn't as good as we give them credit for. Maybe this team..... with MB, EL, Big Hurt, Maggs, C Lee, and PK to name a few..... is just an average team.

I don't know. I was numb after today's loss. I wish I could say I never saw it coming after the first 2 walks.

crector
04-06-2004, 12:28 AM
What all this goes to show is that "passion" is hardly a superior qualification to judge a candidate for managing a baseball team by. Intelligence and talent are what's needed to run a team and judging by this game, Ozzie clearly does not have what it takes to be White Sox manager.

blueeyes33
04-06-2004, 12:37 AM
the whole team sucks.theres only 4 players i would keep. everyone else needs to go.

Hangar18
04-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by crector
Intelligence and talent are what's needed to run a team and judging by this game, Ozzie clearly does not have what it takes to be White Sox manager.

Well, the Important thing is will OZZY learn from this Game?
Or will he be like Jerry Manuel and Continue to trot Koch out there til JULY when were so far behind, it doesnt matter?
To his credit, Ozz gave Koch his chance to get the SAVE, and maybe the last time he does that, but Koch didnt want it bad enough, and I liked that OZZ Yanked him right away. If JManuel was still here, Koch wouldve given the game up eventually ..................

Jjav829
04-06-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Nard
"It's okay, we'll get 'em back on Wednesday"

"It's a 2-game series"

"It's not the end of the world"

All these wonderful self-help quotes are for when you get blown out and lose by 10+.

I'm going to pray to God tonight to take my back in time so the Sox can get blown out by 10+, 'cause that would be a helluva lot better than what actually happened.

It IS the end of the world.

Welcome Aboard. :D:

SSN721
04-06-2004, 07:18 AM
This ****ing seasons over, if we lose the division by one game my heart will be wrenched out again like it was yesterday afternoon. I dont blame Ozzie I am just very upset and it is 6 in the morning. This loss really was a punch in the stomach. I think Ozzie did okay, I still have some hope. I guess I dont understand why he didnt try to leave Koch in, I mean he struck out the next batter after giving up the hit. Or at least he should have walked the next batter and then brought in Marte to give him a DP opportunity. I dont know, it is so easy to look back and play manager, I think there are lots of ways it could have worked out, if Marte was Marte of last year the moves made in the ninth would have worked out just fine. He just had an off day, it happens. This season is still ****ing over. :whiner:

white sox bill
04-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Its a LONG season people, we all knew we'd have to suffer this kind of thing, but why the frickin' FIRST game? This brings back memories of the July 4th vs D'Rays last yr when Koch melted down.

Remember the opening day in '91 when we had our heads handed to us by Detroit like 16-0. First game ever in New Comiskey and it was a schlaking :angry:

habibharu
04-06-2004, 09:04 AM
ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :fireozzie

Dan H
04-06-2004, 10:12 AM
I feel better today than yesterday. One game is not the telltale of the whole season. But no one can easily excuse giving up six runs in the ninth.

What concerns me the most if Marte. He didn't have a great spring, and he comes in the first game and stinks up the place. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come. If Marte can't get it together, it truly will be a long season.