PDA

View Full Version : Worst bullpen in history of baseball?

OurBitchinMinny
04-05-2004, 05:52 PM
If we cannot count on Marte, just who the hell is our go to guy. The starters are gonna have to pitch 9 innings every game and most of them arent capaple of pitching 6. Polite looked ok for and inning and a third, but he was left in too long. There is no lead safe with this team!!!!

OurBitchinMinny
04-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Dont put too much blame on polite though. He pitched well for 1 and a third which is as much as he should pitch, especially out of spring training

soxnut
04-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Oh for God's sake the title fo this thread is ridiculous. Any outsider looking at this board for the first time is going to think Sox fans are a bunch of ninnys.

OurBitchinMinny
04-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Maybe not the worst in history, but by far the worst in baseball this year. What the hell was KW thinking to go into the season with this kind of BP? You feel comfortable with this pen?

owensmouth
04-05-2004, 06:27 PM
If this is the worst bullpen in baseball, does that mean we've got the greatest base stealer? What a set of wheels on that guy Konerko.

Jerko
04-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Maybe not the worst in history, but by far the worst in baseball this year. What the hell was KW thinking to go into the season with this kind of BP? You feel comfortable with this pen?

I do not feel comfortable with the pen, and with question marks at best for our 4th and 5th starter, we're gonna have to rely on the pen A LOT. Or we're gonna have to be like the old San Diego Chargers and try to win every game 15-12 (well, for the Chargers it was more like 42-40).

MHOUSE
04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Politte was great for 1 1/3 innings and then he faltered because Ozzie left him in too long. We've basically got four closers in Marte, Koch, Politte, and Takatsu. Expecting them to go more than an inning is tough and Ozzie should've started Marte in the 9th instead of letting Politte and Koch put runners on. Marte has never been able to pitch with runners on and Koch looked ok, but shaky. Give the 9th to Marte with a 4-run lead and Koch or Jackson warming as cover. We would've been fine.

Jjav829
04-05-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
If this is the worst bullpen in baseball, does that mean we've got the greatest base stealer? What a set of wheels on that guy Konerko.

Agreed. With Willie's performance today, I say Konerko should leadoff on Wednesday. A .750 OBP and a SB% of 100! Sounds like a great leadoff hitter to me! :D:

soxtalker
04-05-2004, 07:03 PM
"Worst bullpen in history" -- please put this in teal. I thought that Sox fans pride themselves on knowing baseball. We've had some awful teams in the past 100 years of OUR history, not to mention the history of all of baseball. And I'd be willing to bet that there are a few other teams this year that have bullpens that will fare worse.

But it was a bad day ...

duke of dorwood
04-05-2004, 07:40 PM
Worst in history is not appropriate-we've had worse. BUT this does show how much Colon's innings will be missed in the long run.

CLR01
04-05-2004, 07:53 PM
You feel comfortable with this pen?

No but we wont need them. We obviously have the 2nd best offense this year so we can just outscore everyone. Todays games does not count because the Royals have the best offense.

Rocklive99
04-05-2004, 08:00 PM
I wouldnt even go as far as the worst in baseball. Marte is usually unhittable, but just didn't have it. Koch had a great spring, and reached 97 today. Pollite was good until the 9th. Wunsch is on the DL, and then some others who I just haven't seen (Shingo, Jackson, Atkins, etc). Sure, it looked bad today, but I think it is solid (IMO, maybe im the only one that has it, but oh well), and KW will add to it if we are competing in mid season

poorme
04-05-2004, 08:03 PM
I don't get the pollyanna bs. This bullpen may not be the worst in history, but it is brutal.

OurBitchinMinny
04-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Its not the worst in baseball history, but its really really bad....At least the twinkies are down 3-0 to the tribe

soxnut
04-05-2004, 10:40 PM
It is not a bad bullpen, for Christ sakes it was one game folks, What a bunch of wienies you guy are. You have no faith. Ridiculous.

CHISOXFAN13
04-05-2004, 10:46 PM
So Politte pitched great before walking two, Koch gives up a double before coercing a K, then Marte gives it up and we have the worst bullpen?

Hell, we didn't see 4/7 of it for crying out loud. I'm sure those that are claimins this as the wosrst have seen all 29 other pens.

CubKilla
04-05-2004, 10:53 PM
What the hell was KW thinking to go into the season with this kind of BP?

Who knows. This is the same fool who traded for Botch and Ritchie. I've given up trying to figure out KW.

But if the blame should fall squarely on the shoulders of someone, JR is #1 and KW is #2. You'd have to hope that KW would have wanted to pursue some quality arms if given the $.

Mickster
04-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Who knows. This is the same fool who traded for Botch and Ritchie. I've given up trying to figure out KW.

But if the blame should fall squarely on the shoulders of someone, JR is #1 and KW is #2. You'd have to hope that KW would have wanted to pursue some quality arms if given the $.

Remember that a certain closer was staying in our beloved manager's rented home during spring training and was practically begging Ozzie to be on the sox....

Thanks, JR!
:angry:

mweflen
04-06-2004, 10:22 AM
I don't think it can possibly be the worst pen in history if we don't see Paul Assenmacher somewhere among them...