PDA

View Full Version : OK Everybody take a deep breath

MRKARNO
04-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Did the bullpen look like absolute Crap? Yes. It looked as bad as it possibly could have. Our most valuable reliever now has an infinate ERA with 3 ER in 0 ip

That being said:

The Offense looked great against the ace of one of our rivals.

Buehrle Pitched real well

and the best part:

THERE ARE 161 GAMES LEFT

This one hurt, real bad. We're gonna have bad losses. It's too bad that it had to be at the beginning of the year. Ozzie won't let it define the season. This team can and still SHOULD win 90+ games.

Everybody just take a deep breath and calm down. I know it's tough, but you have to.

HITMEN OF 77
04-05-2004, 05:27 PM
THANK YOU for posting this. This is exactly the way I feel and look at it.

HomeFish
04-05-2004, 05:30 PM
"There are 161 games left" isn't exactly the most reassuring thing in the world. That's 161 potential blown leads, 161 potential losses, 161 potential wins for that other Chicago team...

bc2k
04-05-2004, 05:30 PM
There were a lot of positives displayed by the Sox today.
Buehrle looked sharp, he was getting hit ground ball double plays.
The defense was solid. Double plays, Harris stayed tough on a throw from Crede and completed the double play with his throw to Konerko. Valentin went deep in the hole for a nice stop but was just a hair off with his throw.
KONERKO STOLE A BASE!
Quick, level swings from every hitter 1-9. That was fun to watch. Everyone had good swings and line drives. Frank, Konerko, Sandy, Valentin (after his 3 k). How fun to watch.

My only beef today was Ozzie's decision to let Politte start the 9th after pitching 1 1/3 already. Ozzie stated Koch was his closer, and closers START THE 9TH INNING! Let Koch start the 9th with a four-run lead. Instead, Politte's confidence is hurt, Koch's confidence is hurt, and Marte's confidence is hurt. Oh, and the team's moral is in the gutter.

Now excuse me while I watch a Koch rerun (Will, from Will and Grace).

VeeckAsInWreck
04-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks for being positive fellas. I don't think the season has gone to crap after this 1st game. This will only fire them up the rest of the way.

Everyone else should remain calm, please stay away from high rises and don't jump. It will be fine.

soxnut
04-05-2004, 05:33 PM
Hey, it sucks we lost. But, besides one bad game by the bullpen, the Sox looked really good. I love their approach at the plate--that is why they are going to win this year. The pen will be fine. If anyone is giving up already, you're a *****.

Malgar 12
04-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Your thesis may be correct, but...

you've blown a Quality Start by Buerhle who needed a good start after last year.

you've wasted a seven run output.

you've blown a chance to set the tone with a division rival.

you've given away a game you should've won.

That's never good, especially like that, on opening day.

161 left, sure, but this was a giant step backwards.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-05-2004, 05:38 PM
I feel sorry for Ozzie... and Marte too, of course.

I refuse to feel sorry for myself or the rest of Sox Fandom. Supporting this team is not for the faint of heart.

southsidegirl
04-05-2004, 05:39 PM
I'm never giving up hope, I'm just really upset. You shoulda seen my mom, she was cursing like a sailor when she picked me up saying that the Sox had it and how much she hates the BP. For once I had to calm her down. I still have to watch my recording of the game. I hear that Marte's ball wasn't breaking.....

CHISOXFAN13
04-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
"There are 161 games left" isn't exactly the most reassuring thing in the world. That's 161 potential blown leads, 161 potential losses, 161 potential wins for that other Chicago team...

Screw the Cubs. We just suffered arguably one of the worst Opening Day losses in the team's history and there are some who are worried that the Cubs can go 162-0.

I can't take this Cub crap anymore.

duke of dorwood
04-05-2004, 05:41 PM
I expected this first 2 weeks to be difficult. But, this was ridiculous. We wasted a Konerko stolen base.

manuelsucks
04-05-2004, 05:42 PM
I couldn't agree more with this tread. We all need to just keep supporting the guys. We can pull through this and come out good. We've still got Wednesday to show them who's boss. Hopefully the BP will get into shape.

CHISOXFAN13
04-05-2004, 05:43 PM
For all the positives, and there are several, I keep thinking of the biggest negative of all.

We let a division rival, one that did this countless times last season, rally to win a game in the ninth AGAIN.

We just gave KC all the momentum in the world.

StockdaleForVeep
04-05-2004, 05:43 PM
and werent hawk and brett hypin up the sox bullpen as well?

HawkDJ
04-05-2004, 05:45 PM
A few things here...

1)While Brian Anderson is technically the "ace" of the Royals and while he did have a nice year last year, he isn't exactly a dominant pitcher.

2)Damaso didn't look good in spring training and he looked terrible today. Not to mention he's lost some life on his fastball. Not a good sign for being our only sure thing in the pen.

3)We've seen these same exact threads pop up for the last 3 years now. Every single year our bullpen blows a lead in one of the first few games of the year. It's become an annual tradition. And while our bullpen always recovers, our team never does. I don't think I'm the only one who is sick of seeing this happen.

The season is FAR FAR FAR from being over and I'm definitely not trying to say it is...and you're right we saw many positives and I like the way Ozzie runs the offense. But I just don't feel as if we should be "calm".

Sorry for injecting some negativity into this thread.

HomeFish
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Screw the Cubs. We just suffered arguably one of the worst Opening Day losses in the team's history and there are some who are worried that the Cubs can go 162-0.

I can't take this Cub crap anymore.

If the Cubs win this season, WE will be screwed. I think that's cause for concern.

This loss wouldn't be half as bad if it weren't for what went on in the Queen City today.

soxnut
Originally posted by Malgar 12
Your thesis may be correct, but...

you've blown a Quality Start by Buerhle who needed a good start after last year.

you've wasted a seven run output.

you've blown a chance to set the tone with a division rival.

you've given away a game you should've won.

That's never good, especially like that, on opening day.

161 left, sure, but this was a giant step backwards.

Buerhle is a big boy, he can handle it

It's baseball, it happens

Setthe tone? the Royals won the first 3 last year and we ended up winning the season series from them

Again, it's baseball, it happens

Opening day is meaningless, except for the fact that it is the first game after a long winter.

No, it wasn't a giant step backward,s the rest of the team played very good baseball, the way it should be played. It was more of a step forward than anything. Very encouraging.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-05-2004, 05:56 PM

This is really over the top. Fretting about 161 blown leads/potential losses ought to be reserved for only those with an IQ 151 points lower than 161.

You can't possibly be serious? If so I'm worried about you.

Malgar 12
04-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by soxnut

No, it wasn't a giant step backward,s the rest of the team played very good baseball, the way it should be played. It was more of a step forward than anything. Very encouraging.

Very Ecouraging? Exactly how is that very encouraging, WE LOST! If you hit well and lose, you still lose, it just hurts more.

With Cold rational analysis of team that didnt have the history the Sox do, I could see your point.

But this does nothing to encourage me.

JohnJeter
04-05-2004, 05:59 PM
What if the Sox lose the division by a game?

161 left and all, but that kind of thinking is exactly what cooked the Sox last year. That, and the Minny series. . .

soxnut
04-05-2004, 06:00 PM
If the Cubs win this season, WE will be screwed. I think that's cause for concern.

This loss wouldn't be half as bad if it weren't for what went on in the Queen City today.

I would really like an explanation as to why we all think the Sox are screwed if the Cubs win. Honestly,how much worse can it get, The Sox are already ignored. The Cubs can't fit any more people into their ballpark. So what's the difference?

And, as for your website, anyone could point out the negatives of any manager. And if the Sox do lose, it's not Ozzies fault. But if you don't think having the kind of offensive approach that was shown today because of the manager is a postivie thing, then you don't know anything about basseball. Today, offensively that is how you play the game, and that was not the kind of baseball that has been played over the last few years.

Tragg
04-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Didn't we do this crap last year?

Opening series get swept, including blowing a 9th inning lead by our new closer, kOch.

hellenicsoxfan
04-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Once again, we Sox fans have to feel the agony of defeat. And they don't get any more agonizing than this one. I'm glad this was a day game because if it were a night game, my stomach would be wrenching so bad, I wouldn't get any sleep.
Having said that, for 8 innings there were so many positives in this game. Buehrle pitched well. He got double plays when he needed them and the defense looked good. Politte pitched well for 1 1/3 innings, showing he can be a guy to get the Sox from the starter to the closer, whoever that may be (but limit him to about 4 or 5 hitters). The hitters were going up to the plate with an idea of what to do, instead of just trying for homers like the last three years. They used the whole field. Ozzie tried manufacturing runs with bunts, hit and runs, keeping the runners moving (even going so far as to having Konerko running twice and getting a stolen base once).
I really feel that if they can settle the bullpen, this team can still take the division. If these professionals let this one game, no matter how agonizing, put them in a tail spin and ruin the whole season, then they're really losers who wouldn't win no matter what else happens.

starboy0
04-05-2004, 06:10 PM
This one really did hurt. A kick to the gut. It is just one game of course but going into the 9th with that lead you feel like you're going to get out of the gate in a way that sets such a different tone from last year.

I fully agree with bc2k that koch should have started the ninth. Damaso's pitches looked as flat and as soft as they could be. After the game the poor guy just looked so lost and bewildered. Politte looked good until he started trying to be too careful.

But I did really like the hit and run, Konerko's sb, and the offensive pop the Sox had today.

We're just going to have to smack the back for this at our home opener. DON'T let KC get on another roll.

mweflen
so, uh... is anyone seeing the season in microcosm here besides me?

i sure hope i'm wrong... (or i hope we can trade for some reliable bullpen help...)

soxnut
Originally posted by Malgar 12
Very Ecouraging? Exactly how is that very encouraging, WE LOST! If you hit well and lose, you still lose, it just hurts more.

With Cold rational analysis of team that didnt have the history the Sox do, I could see your point.

But this does nothing to encourage me.

Do you think they're going to blow every game like that? That's ridiculous.

As I said about last year, the reason they lost was that their approach to hitting was awful. I can see the difference already.There's no way with the talented offense this team has and with their approach that they will go into huge hitting/non-scoring slumps like they did last year. And there's no way the bullpen is going to blow leads like that on a recurring basis. It doesn't happen.

Of course it hurts when you lose a game like that, but that can happen at any time of the season. It just happened to happen on a day that we've waited all winter for.

If you feel better about fretting go ahead. I'm not and won't. I hate the fact they lost, and the way they lost and the fact that some other team which shall remain nameless won, but ya have to go on.

minastirith67
04-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Quite frankly there are many people on this board who need to chill. I was livid when Marte blew the game in the 9th and I just feel terrible for Ozzie and Mark but I will not let this game continue to bring me down. Next game we will take the momentum back.

Btw, I thought that Politte pitched a good 2 innings until the 9th and I was very shocked to see Koch taken out in favor of Marte. I thought Guillen had made statements like "Koch is our man/closer", something like that. Koch could have and should have closed the game for us. Of course, hindsight is a wonderful thing but I saw some wonderful baseball played today, and overall I liked what I saw. Now if we could just erase the bottom of the 9th from our minds...

:whoflungpoo

hsnterprize
04-05-2004, 08:19 PM
"There are 161 games left" isn't exactly the most reassuring thing in the world. That's 161 potential blown leads, 161 potential losses, 161 potential wins for that other Chicago team... Oh come on...this is really silly.

Why not just put this... :chickenlittle in your tag and get it out of your system?

Look, y'all. Even though this was a tough loss to swallow, every team in MLB will blow a lead and lose a game they should've won. It's not over by a long shot. And besides...the Marlins started last year with one of the worse records in baseball before Jack McKeon took over. And we all know what happened after that...don't we?

Patrick134
04-05-2004, 08:29 PM
The royals started 16-3 last year and ended up in 3rd.
the white sox had an absolutely abyssmal offense the first half and were losing often and were writen off by many here, yet were still in first place in september.

Funny things happen in baseball, but one thing for sure, the season wasn't decided today, and that'd be just as true if the sox had won 17-0.

that being said... WGN is reporting that after todays Cub victory, the rest of the NL Central conceded the divisional title to them.

CHISOXFAN13
04-05-2004, 08:47 PM

So as long as the Cubs lose it doesn't matter what the Sox do? I hate that. You aren't a true White Sox fan.

If we win the division and make a deep run in the playoffs, I can really give a RAT'S ass about what the Cubs do.

Railsplitter
04-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Let's wait until Marte pitches again. If his ERA is still the dreaded lazy eigth (infinity), then we can panic.